Canadian Money Forum banner

201 - 208 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
London Drugs currently has the Instant Pot Duo Nova on sale, item # L0704176. The 6 quart model is $100.

The 'Duo Nova' is a newer model that seems to have a few improvements, released this year. Compared to my last basic IP (which was a Lux) this one seems to have a fancy self-sealing lid, more status indicators, and a button which does a continuous pressure release. That last feature sounds convenient because my previous IP had a pretty dangerous pressure release knob. I'm curious if this model improves this.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Keepa browser extension shows seasonal sales $60usd for that model. A bit lower but nothing really worth waiting months for

The nova seems to be marketed for "beginners" because some people don't understand the steam release (turn to close before and keep your hand away from steam vent when opening it..) They made a button a few inches away so you don't burn yourself with steam and the release closes automatically when the lid is on?

Personally if the classic went on sale for cheaper I'd get that myself (I'm watching for a 3 qt classic to pair with my 6 qt) Looks like the 3 qt classic can be down to $30usd but I mean they are all amazing value imo. I've prob spent that just on steamers/pans/rings for them

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
I would have been happy with the classic as well, but I need an IP quite urgently (can't wait for months) and the price of this Duo Nova looks good. It's about the same as what I paid several years ago for the classic, on sale in the US.

I just ordered the 6 qt size from London Drugs.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
@james4beach I really like the self sealing lid. I find it a little more convient. I have never forgetting to deal it, and it’s pretty easy. it’s doesn’t change the cooking any way. How ever, my know did break off, no idea wh, but I managed to fix it with crazy glue and haven’t had any problems.

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
@james4beach I really like the self sealing lid. I find it a little more convient.
I got the Duo Nova and tried it for the first time today. I like it. The button for the automatic steam release is really great, and self-sealing lid is a nice feature too.

Can someone tell me what the Less/Normal/More setting does? For example on the Pressure Cook mode (called Manual in the classic model) you can adjust both:
  • low or high pressure
  • Less/Normal/More
The first setting is obviously the pressure. Higher pressure means higher temperature. But what does Less/Normal/More mean? It changes the default time, but is it just a memory for the last time used, or does it do something else?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I got the Duo Nova and tried it for the first time today. I like it. The button for the automatic steam release is really great, and self-sealing lid is a nice feature too.

Can someone tell me what the Less/Normal/More setting does? For example on the Pressure Cook mode (called Manual in the classic model) you can adjust both:
  • low or high pressure
  • Less/Normal/More
The first setting is obviously the pressure. Higher pressure means higher temperature. But what does Less/Normal/More mean? It changes the default time, but is it just a memory for the last time used, or does it do something else?
I can’t remember exactly, but your manual should tell you the differences.

High or lower pressure is the PSI, but the temperature is the same. Temperature and PSI is not the same. You would want a lower PSI on items that are more ‘fragile’. Like veggies.

Less/normal/more. Is the temperature. I would look up in the manual exactly what the temperatureS are for the specific cook function. It makes a Bigger difference on slow cook, warm, and sauté functions. Yogurt function makes a difference if you are proofing dough. I don’t know the other programs you have.

cooking time is also adjusted.

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
High or lower pressure is the PSI, but the temperature is the same. Temperature and PSI is not the same. You would want a lower PSI on items that are more ‘fragile’. Like veggies.
The manual says the following:

Select a pressure cooking Smart Program, then press Pressure Level to toggle between High (10.2–11.6 psi) and Low (5.8–7.2 psi) pressure levels.
Note: A higher pressure results in higher cooking temperature.
. . .
Select a non-pressure cooking Smart Program, then press the Smart Program button again to cycle through the Less, Normal and More cooking temperature levels.

So this is interesting. It's saying that for pressure cooking, the High/Low changes both the pressure and temperature. This makes sense since a higher vapor pressure requires higher temperature.

But the second part seems to be saying that for things other than pressure cooking, Less/Normal/More changes the temperature. As you pointed out, that sounds like it would apply to Slow Cook, Sauté, etc.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
@james4beach thanks for the clarification for the pressure. i find I adjust my cooking times manually anyways, but do use the temperature settings for control.

201 - 208 of 208 Posts