Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
I recently bought one and have been enjoying it. Created by ex Nortel employees, and very popular in the US. A significant % of my office owns one, enough that we swap recipes at work.

The very first thing I made was an entire 3 lb roast in this thing, and it only took about an hour. I couldn't believe a 3 lb roast was done (and tender) in an hour. I've also made meat stews, and recently started enjoying lentil soup... very easy in this. The IP doubles as a rice cooker, by the way. Tonight I plan to make chicken & rice together in a single pot, a technique a coworker tipped me off about. Apparently the rice cooks at the same time as the chicken. You just throw all of it into the IP and it comes out done.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I originally got one on amazon days as it's cheaper than a rice cooker but does far more

I've been meaning to get a stackable pot to stack the main dish and side in one instant pot, is there a technique to use the original pot for that? I've cooked chicken with water/spices and rice just needs water.. so I suppose you could just throw it all together. It's very handy even just for rice or steamed veggies (need a steamer accessory) Anything you'd boil can just go in this instead

It has pretty much replaced my stovetop pots as it's just faster and easier. The only thing I really use the stovetop for now is frying

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
It's *mostly* just a pressure cooker. It is also a slow cooker, and it has a yogurt making mode where it keeps the yogurt at the right temperature. I haven't used the slow cooker mode as I also have a slow cooker from before I got the IP, but the yogurt making mode works like a charm.

They claim it has like 10 features in one but most of the "features" are just presets so you just press "soup" or "rice" or whatever and it sets the timer/pressure to the right settings for you automatically.

I haven't successfully made rice in it, I tried once and it didn't turn out very well, so I went back to using my rice cooker. If my rice cooker ever dies I will likely try again before buying a new rice cooker.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Here is some comparison testing done by Chatelaine.
https://www.chatelaine.com/food/kitchen-tips/instant-pot-slow-cooker-pressure-cooker-worth-the-hype/

I think it is like a lot of kitchen appliances, good for some things, not so good for others. Will it replace all the other appliances you might like using, no. It would if you only ate what it is better at doing. LOL

It's hard to think of any revolutionary kitchen appliance, the only one I can really think of is the microwave oven. And we all know it has its limitations as well. The Instant Pot isn't revolutionary.

I think of it this way. If you want to make the best dish possible, do it the way the best chefs do it. Do you think any of them are using an Instant Pot? It's appeal is in the word 'Instant'. Designed to appeal to people who don't want (think they don't have) the time to cook properly. Dare I say 'fad'.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I love my instant pots. I have one at home and at my cabin and its one of my goto gifts now.

I found it has replaced my slow cooker, and it’s a huge bonus that I can sear directly into the same pot. It makes an efficient steamer, and I love the pressure cooker. I had astove too one but did not always have great results and had some safety concerns (more me than the pressure cooker).

It has not replaced my rice cooker as I find I am making rice while I am using my instant pot to make the main. It does make a pretty good risotto which I could never do on my stove successfully.

I haven’t done yogurt in it, or made a cake either.

Because of the safety features, I have had my kids helping with dinner before I get home. I’d on worry about them burning themselves on the stove or forgetting to turn it off.

I use it 2-4 times a week on average.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I originally got one on amazon days as it's cheaper than a rice cooker but does far more

I've been meaning to get a stackable pot to stack the main dish and side in one instant pot, is there a technique to use the original pot for that? I've cooked chicken with water/spices and rice just needs water.. so I suppose you could just throw it all together. It's very handy even just for rice or steamed veggies (need a steamer accessory) Anything you'd boil can just go in this instead

It has pretty much replaced my stovetop pots as it's just faster and easier. The only thing I really use the stovetop for now is frying
I do have a steamer assessories, and would not recommend the silicon one. I had a steamer basket from my old pressure cooker that works well. Hoe Er, I do find cooking foods that take different times not as successful on the instant pot. I cook my meat in the instant pot, then have a second insert to steam the veggies while the meat is resting and the rice is in my rice cooker.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Sorry, no room in the deep depths of the cupboards for another cooking utensil.
Besides, I'd be shot if that is what she found under the tree on Christmas morning.:love_heart:

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I haven't successfully made rice in it, I tried once and it didn't turn out very well, so I went back to using my rice cooker. If my rice cooker ever dies I will likely try again before buying a new rice cooker.
You probably just have to adjust the rice-water ratio. I have to adjust this when I change rice sometimes. There's other techniques on youtube I never bother with

I think of it this way. If you want to make the best dish possible, do it the way the best chefs do it. Do you think any of them are using an Instant Pot? It's appeal is in the word 'Instant'. Designed to appeal to people who don't want (think they don't have) the time to cook properly. Dare I say 'fad'.
I resist a lot of kitchen appliances as fads. I don't even use a microwave or a electronic coffee maker (I can make far better coffee the way the Italians taught me with a $20 bialetti)

If I was living in an RV I would consider having a power inverter just for the Instant Pot. It uses far less energy energy because it's insulated and also requires much less water (heats faster)

As for the professional comment.. I find anything homecooked is better than $$$$ "professional" food which is made just to "look" special compared to what you can do at home on purpose.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It's a pressure cooker and slow cooker. Both of them have been used for decades and can't be called fads.

·
Registered
564 Posts
We've had our IP for about a year now and we find it ok, though we are still learning how to best utilize it.
Our best successes come from making various stock and also stew type dishes like basic stew, beef stroganoff, beef bourguignon, etc. where the beef cubes come out very tender and the flavours seem more melded. We've had less success with soups, spaghetti sauce, etc though it might be more of a setting config issue.

We're not saving much, if any time in initial prep or initial sauteing. The time gain we've seen is needing less time to let the ingredients simmer.
However, you can also use meats direct from freezer into the IP. We've only done this once with meh results. We have to experiment with this more.

IP's are pretty easy to clean too.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
"It's a Useful Pot," said Pooh. "Here it is. And it's got 'A Very Happy Birthday with love from Pooh' written on it. That's what all that writing is. And it's for cooking things in!"

When Eeyore saw the pot, he became quite excited ... Eeyore picked Piglet's chili pepper up with his teeth and placed it carefully in the pot; picked it out and put it on the ground; and then picked it up again and put it carefully back.

"I'm very glad," said Pooh happily, "that I thought of giving you a Useful Pot to cook things in."

"And I'm very glad," said Piglet happily, "that I thought of giving you a chili pepper to cook in a Useful Pot."

But Eeyore wasn't listening. He was taking the chili pepper out and putting it back in again while figuring out the cooking controls, and he was as happy as could be.

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
I use it for steaming as well. I'm going to steam some dim sum style dumplings tonight.

I've had good results using the rice cooker mode with jasmine rice.

However, I had my first IP disaster last night when I attempted to make rice & chicken together. The rice turned into a goopy mess, absorbing all the water, and there wasn't enough steam created to pressurize the IP. I couldn't get the IP to pressurize and lock... it requires a certain amount of boiling activity for this to happen. Either the recipe I used was bad (not appropriate for the IP) or the kind of rice I used didn't cooperate.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Yea that's what I was considering a "stackable pot" for. They're about $30 on amazon US. I tend to use the IP for the side and bake/fry/grill the main dish. 1 button perfect rice or steamed veggies is nice in a world of constant distractions

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I had my first IP disaster last night when I attempted to make rice & chicken together. The rice turned into a goopy mess, absorbing all the water, and there wasn't enough steam created to pressurize the IP. I couldn't get the IP to pressurize and lock... it requires a certain amount of boiling activity for this to happen. Either the recipe I used was bad (not appropriate for the IP) or the kind of rice I used didn't cooperate.

good cooks usually tell their students to advance beyond recipe stage ...

different kinds of rice need regular cooking time periods from instant to 45 minutes plus different amounts of water, they'd all react differently in a pressure cooker

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I bought my Instant Pot on Black Friday in 2017, at Canadian Tire. It was a great deal: $69.99 for the 6 quart Duo. My goal was to make yogurt, and it does that so well! Over the past year I have experimented with everything from cranberry sauce to pot in pot cooking to cheesecake to soups and most recently, to proofing dough (Low yogurt setting, venting, no water, sit bowl on the trivet). Rice, risotto, cheaper cuts of meat, all do very well and are very flavourful. The Sauté function is great for getting dishes started. But if you are expecting the Instant Pot to cook something crisp, you will be disappointed, because moisture is key to its operation. One unexpected benefit has been the savings in electricity as I am using my stove and oven less often.

I think that was the best $69.99 I have ever spent!

1 - 20 of 208 Posts