Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have been managing an office pool of 25 members since 2012. I don't feel bad as the money goes to healthcare, infrastructure and etc.

$2/per week.
Total spent $16,470.
Cash winnings $2,063 so far. However, we get free plays on every week.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think option #2 is the better one. I learned the same lesson about credit card purchases, the same way, some years back. That was probably my last lottery ticket purchase.

I have never been "lucky" with such things, while perhaps some are. One hears of people with multiple wins. So no point in me buying tickets.

Some years ago, I worked in an office with a total staff of about 16. Lotto 6/49 in BC was then drawn twice a week and tickets cost a buck. We each put in $2/week so we would hold 16 tickets for each draw. In the 4 years or so I was there, I think we won about $90 a couple of times and a few $10 wins. Not much of a return on $32/week for 4 years (about a $6,000 loss). I only stayed in the pool because I feared that if i dropped out, my colleagues would win big and all retire, leaving me on my own.

I am not sure, but the cash advance fee might perhaps be avoided if one makes a payment on the cc before making the lottery ticket purchase, so that one is in a net credit position when the transaction occurs. I would think that if you had run up, say $500 in purchases since paying your last statement balance in full (which I expect most here do every month), and, to be safe, you made a payment of $600 on the card, creating a $100 credit balance, the issuer might be hard pressed to say you took a $5 "advance". What was advanced was, in reality, your own money. But then, the written agreement might say you have to pay, even to be advanced your own money.
I never buy lotto tickets but always contribute to work lotto pools. Losing a couple dollars as insurance for not hating my life decisions forever if co-workers won is worth it to me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I get them at Petro or Esso gas stations. Looks like I'm getting 2% cash back on the purchases, as they consider it gas/fuel on my Tangerine Mastercard.

I only buy the cheap tickets with better chances just for fun. There's way more tickets you can get for $1-3. I stopped Lotto 649 and Lotto Max. I don't need to win the highest prizes.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts