Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second post on the forums so first i'd like to say hello to everyone. I'm in the process of selling my primary residence and i am planning on investing all the money i receive from the sale. I don't have any friends to give me advice in this matter so i am looking for basically a sober second thought/critisism/advice. Bit about me first, im 25, no debt, some money invested in stocks already. Im looking at Canadian small cap and large cap stocks. I am hesitant to invest everything right now but im also hesitant to leave money sitting in the bank getting <1%. Im looking to invest with a 15 to 20 year timeframe before i want to take anything out. I've made a shortlist of stocks mostly focusing on dividends/growth/current price.

1. HSE
2. SLF
3. BR.UN
4. DAY.UN
5. PEY.UN
6. T
7. TA
8. EMA
9. SJR.B

Any thoughts are appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Are you selling then renting indefinitely? Or do you plan to re buy again in the future? If so, when? 15 to 20 year time frame is fine to be invested in equities, but you might want to keep a portion as cash in case you need it in the near future.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Just a wild guess here... you are 25, own your own home and have no debt. I am guessing you don't live in Vancouver.:)

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am from Alberta and you are right I definitely am not thinking about buying anything in Vancouver. Not that I could afford it anyway. I recently moved to China so i'm not looking to buy a house to live in for some time. I was planning on keeping 15-20K somewhere accessable like a money market fund for rainy day/new down payment/buy in if the market dips or crashes.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As I look at all our investment everything just makes me smile everything firing on all cylinders the blower on max boost.

And I'm not but a cent into this market.

·
Banned
137 Posts
I am from Alberta and you are right I definitely am not thinking about buying anything in Vancouver. Not that I could afford it anyway. I recently moved to China so i'm not looking to buy a house to live in for some time. I was planning on keeping 15-20K somewhere accessable like a money market fund for rainy day/new down payment/buy in if the market dips or crashes.
Am new in this forum too,... and quite intrigued to see your plans. Why China ?

I would think our money here would be wortha lot more in China and certainly makes retirement easier at the other side, wouldn't you think so ?

But I think you are too young to think about retirement,...:cool:

·
Banned
356 Posts
This is my second post on the forums so first i'd like to say hello to everyone. I'm in the process of selling my primary residence and i am planning on investing all the money i receive from the sale. I don't have any friends to give me advice in this matter so i am looking for basically a sober second thought/critisism/advice. Bit about me first, im 25, no debt, some money invested in stocks already. Im looking at Canadian small cap and large cap stocks. I am hesitant to invest everything right now but im also hesitant to leave money sitting in the bank getting <1%. Im looking to invest with a 15 to 20 year timeframe before i want to take anything out. I've made a shortlist of stocks mostly focusing on dividends/growth/current price.

1. HSE
2. SLF
3. BR.UN
4. DAY.UN
5. PEY.UN
6. T
7. TA
8. EMA
9. SJR.B

Any thoughts are appreciated :)
You might want to add a solid Canadian bank to your mix as well. SLF doesn't move the same way as the banks.

These are good choices but I'm on the fence whether it is a good time to buy now just because of the rally September. I'm hoping for a correction to get some more money in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts