Canadian Money Forum banner
441 - 460 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

Saw this referenced on another site. If the allegations are true and these CEOs issued statements of ceasing operations if in fact they have not it could mean another blow to US credibility. Not sure how international charges are laid and what the process would be but I found the news fascinating if not surprising. Canada's violation with the Nordstream decision is another example of how rhetoric trumps actions in this conflict. It is highly probable that similar violations occurred in previous military conflicts going back centuries. Information was easier to keep under wraps and thus Joe Q. Public was none the wiser and believed everything their governments told them. Easier to be patriotic when you believe your country does no wrong.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
How exactly does everything think that Europe pays for Russian gas? Not through financial institutions?
The claim is in reference not to payments from EU countries to Russian owned gas companies like Gazprom but that the Investment divisions have not divested themselves of ownership in shares of these Russian companies. Allegedly the CEOs of the US firms have made statements that they have or are currently divesting themselves of these assets. Perhaps they didn't issue said statements or it is possible that they are in the process of selling Russian assets.

I posted to see if anybody had any insight to the claim made by Zelensky and if it has any merit. There are forum members that follow this topic more closely or through alternative channels. If a company has made a statement publicly and then not done so I would think that would be acting in bad faith. I am not sure if they allegations are true that it would in fact be a war crime. I am not an expert in International law but am interested to hear from those that may have a better idea. I am not saying that Zelensky is correct in his allegations(maybe he is and maybe he isn't) and was hoping someone could weigh in on the matter and provide additional links on the topic.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Satellite imagery from Maxar Technologies shows a number of open graves at the Olenivka prison on July 27, two days before an explosion that killed more than 50 Ukrainian POWs housed in a barracks there. A subsequent image from July 29 with the barracks in ruin shows those graves covered. The appearance of graves two days before a mass-casualty event at the prison may point to something much more sinister than Russia's original claim of a Ukrainian HIMARS strike.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Russia may be an energy superpower, but this town has no gas supply - it's still being built.
To heat their homes, many people here burn firewood. One apartment block I visit has no running water. The residents bring it in buckets from a well.
At the local market, I meet senior citizen Natalya Sergeyevna.
More than two decades of Vladimir Putin in power have not given her a comfortable retirement. To supplement her pension, Natalya sells everything she grows at home: from blackberries to potted plants.
At the age of 84, Natalya still toils in the garden, planting and harvesting potatoes to raise extra cash. She doesn't blame her president, though.
"I like Putin and what he's doing," she tells me. "I feel sorry for him. He gets no rest. As for America and all those other troublemakers, they just want to break Russia into parts. They don't understand that they mustn't try to humiliate us."
I have heard the criticisms Natalya makes about Ukraine, the US and the West many times before on Russian TV. It's hardly surprising.
In Russia, television remains the key tool for shaping public opinion. And since the Kremlin controls TV, it pretty much controls the narrative and the messaging in the country. Especially since independent media in Russia have been silenced.
The result: the Russian public is receiving a highly filtered, distorted picture of what is happening in Ukraine. But state propaganda doesn't work in isolation.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Russia may be an energy superpower, but this town has no gas supply - it's still being built.
To heat their homes, many people here burn firewood. One apartment block I visit has no running water. The residents bring it in buckets from a well.
Sounds like a native reserve in Canada

Pretty sure burning firewood is still common in Canada as well

441 - 460 of 475 Posts