Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1258 Posts

·
Registered
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canada has sent an incredible amount of weaponry to Ukraine; so much in fact that we've depleted our own stockpiles. There are Canadian LAVs (mini tanks) rolling around the battle fields, and Canadian-supplied M777 howitzers, which are precision-guided cannons. Canada has provided some of the most advanced shells for these cannons.

Let's not kid ourselves... we're at war with Russia. We're doing just about everything short of putting our own troops on the ground.

We're flying our weapons to the edge of the warzone. Russia has said they view these NATO flights as legitimate targets, since they are flying in arms. One of our planes could get blown out of the sky.

War has potential consequences. Russia is a nuclear power and this kind of war isn't just a giggle and a laugh, like Afghanistan was. We need more national debate and criticism. Is anyone in Parliament even questioning this warfare?

You know this could go nuclear, right?

I'm NOT on board with this much Canadian involvement in their war. At least not until there's more extensive debate in our political system.

·
Registered
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additionally, diplomatic relations between Canada and Russia are dead.

Why isn't Canada trying to negotiate peace? Why is Canada not pursuing diplomacy and de-escalation?

Instead, all I hear in the media is pro-war propaganda. All news reports are extremely one sided and blatantly pro-war. Nobody is talking about potential consequences of our involvement in war, and the risks such as contributing to World War 3 or nuclear war.

To those of you who are parents... are you really not concerned about your children's lives? The possibility of nuclear war? How about you conservatives... aren't you worried about the horrendous expenses, draining our national treasury to fight a European war?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Putin F'd around and now he's finding out!

A whole slew of NATO countries have armed the Ukrainians and they're kicking ***. Putin had this coming. What's he going to do? Lob nukes all over the place? He would have done that by now. The Russians have suffered numerous embarrassing defeats on the battlefield and essentially been forced to withdraw to try to hold the Donbas.

You can't always just let a bully take whatever he wants (he's already annexed Crimea, invaded Georgia and sent his troops into Syria).

Rather than a "sky is falling" scenario that you choose to paint, this could actually lead to a better outcome where Putin is removed from power and a more moderate leader may emerge in Russia. Nobody know what the future holds in store, but I'd rather hold out hope for that. Either way, Vlad pushed his luck too far and he's paying the price. GOOD!

·
Registered
20,685 Posts
There is a growing movement in the US by Republicans and influential conservative media like Tucker Carlson on Fox News to end US support for Ukraine.

If the massive destruction and death in Ukraine is "winning", I would hate to see what losing what would look like.

There is no path for Ukraine to win this war. They should have negotiated with Russia to prevent the needless bloodshed.

Negotiation would have been the lessor of two evils, and it was always inevitable.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
The problem is that west is not serious about ending the war.
They are dragging it on, sending just enough support for stalemate. The slow bleeding of Russian army is ideal for the west - but it comes with massive cost to Ukrainian people (not like anyone cares unfortunately).
Spent a week last month with 6 Ukrainian families that are refugees in Central Europe. The stories of what they went through (mostly psychology) are insane

·
Registered
275 Posts
Spent a week last month with 6 Ukrainian families that are refugees in Central Europe. The stories of what they went through (mostly psychology) are insane
No doubt that living with intense shelling would be traumatic. At least the Ukrainian forces have pushed the Russians back and now the only strikes in central Ukraine are from occasional Russian missiles.

The problem with negotiations is that: A) Ukraine surrenders territory that is rightfully theirs. B) The people who have lived in that territory all of their lives are faced with a choice to vacate for the sake of continued freedom or they are subject to Russian authoritarian rule. Look at the former Russian republics and how quickly they joined NATA after leaving the Soviet Union. They had a taste of Russian hegemony and wanted nothing more to do with it. Who can blame them? C) It's reinforced to Putin and others of his ilk that you can send in the military and then get what you want without consequences through subsequent negotiations. Appeasement has its own set of problems.

+

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I can't help feeling sorry for that poor young (21?) Russian soldier being tried for the war crimes (murder?)
Not sure of the circumstances, or all the details, but I wish it was putin up there, not one of his (possibly unwilling) soldiers...
But, that's always the way, isn't it....?

·
Registered
20,685 Posts
In a nuclear war with Russia there would be no survivors.

The bomb blasts, radioactive fallout, and ensuing nuclear winter would kill everyone on the planet, regardless of where they live.

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
^ Comment to first post: I question first where exactly have Canada's weaponary donations landed in .... Ukraine. I read the frontline Ukrainian soldiers ain't seeing them.

Also, not sure if Zelensky has a desire to "negotiate" (aka comprise) for peace. No winners at all on this conflict with a potential for WW3.

·
Registered
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ Comment to first post: I question first where exactly have Canada's weaponary donations landed in .... Ukraine. I read the frontline Ukrainian soldiers ain't seeing them.
Where are our weapons going then? We've sent so much that we've emptied the Canadian depos, have few left ourselves.

So where is all our weapons going? The big cannons?

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
^ IDK as that's my question. I saw a headline (on a reputable site) awhile back that front-line Ukraine soldiers weren't seeing or using those donated weaponaries and so am scratching my head what are they fighting with? And where are our donated stuffs? Maybe Ukrainedude knows.

·
Registered
20,685 Posts
The US Pentagon is holding a press conference today. It sounds like the weapons needed have changed to more long range weapons, like the Russians are using.

Of course, the smart weapons cost a lot more, and the Ukrainians would need to be trained on them.

This war is likely to drag on. Russia is now using powerful bombs and missiles that do extensive collateral damage from a distance.

A satellite company provided photos over the weekend and they showed a Russian pressure bomb destroyed a bunch of huge reserve grain storage silos.

The company said they were showing some unclassified photos and the classified photos show a lot more damage.

The Russians are focusing on destroying the infrastructure and food terminals trying to force the Ukrainians to give up.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
@james4beach

I'm not sure what to make of your thread.

On one hand, I think I agree with you. Maybe it isn't wise of us to help as much as we are. Maybe we are "asking for it" and "putting a target on our back".

At the same time... It is the duty of nations to protect other nations.

I can't say I agree nor disagree.

The only thing I can agree on is that nothing is going to end well. But I do think Canada has done enough, so far, between the military help and the refugee help.

I don't think it is wise to play with Russia too much.
But I also don't think it is wise to do nothing.

I feel like the best approach is to help a little and encourage every other nation to also help a little.

1 - 20 of 1258 Posts