Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
We're in bear market territory today (S&P down 20% from its high). But when the market falls fast it usually bounces back fast.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
So far the sells have been on fear. Wait until the actual declines start to show up in the company results. Corono and Boeing.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Some of the daily moves have been very large (as percents) but is this selloff really so bad?
Doesn't seem that scary
Hmmm! If today wasn't scary, I hate to see what scary looks like!

Just got back from golf. Today's close for our portfolios was still higher than Dec 2018. But that was a bad year! We are below Dec2016 & Dec2017. But so far haven't heard of any dividend cuts, so why worry! I don't usually get concerned about portfolio market value. I would hate to be in situation where we would have to sell equities to provide income for living expenses.

One observation, was that split preferreds fair reasonably well even in severe market drops like this one. The ones I looked at are still trading at somewhere around par.

DFN.PR.A $ 10.03, CHANGE -0.06 (-0.5946%), VOLUME 155,826
DGS.PR.A $ 9.89 CHANGE -0.25 (-2.4655%) VOLUME 52,759
PVS.PR.D $ 25.14 CHANGE -0.02 (-0.07949%) VOLUME 11,060
LBS.PR.A $ 10.03 CHANGE -0.20 (-1.955%) VOLUME 28,050

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hmmm! If today wasn't scary, I hate to see what scary looks like!
Yeah I will agree today was scary. I bought a few thousand bucks of XIU when it was down around 8%, and it ended down 10%... insanity.

Let's hope *that* doesn't continue. But these are stocks at the end of the day, and stocks are risky. This is what we signed up for.

Note that the S&P 500 priced in CAD (ZSP or XUS) was only down 6% as it got a boost from the forex move.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Let's hope *that* doesn't continue. But these are stocks at the end of the day, and stocks are risky. This is what we signed up for.

Note that the S&P 500 priced in CAD (ZSP or XUS) was only down 6% as it got a boost from the forex move.
Not everyone is totally into stocks. Balanced funds were only down something like 3.5-4.5%. My own fixed income faired fine, but overall we were down 7.5% - no doubt because at present our equity ratio is still high. WE may get down to 60/40 if this continues :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, it's no longer a haircut. It's a shave, clean shave !!! Will take a while to grow back after somewhere develop a vaccine to cure this. I have not look at the market for more than a week. Don't want to know. Just want to stay healthy.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
TSX just over 30% so far. While significant mostly in the speed of the free fall, it is not even close to the financial crisis yet.

Between its peak in May 2008 and its trough in March 2009, the S&P/TSX Composite Index fell 48%. In the U.S., the S&P 500 Index fell 53% in U.S. dollars from its peak in October 2007 to its March 2009 bottom.

We have more to go folks and it could rival the financial crisis before its done.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts