Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I always felt George Bush ushered in the popular use of the word "folks" in place of "people" in the American lexicon. (as in, "we're gonna get the folks behind 9/11").
It appears to me lately that in this time of BLM, "y'all" is now supplanting "folks".
jus' sayin'......Y'all agree?
But, we the North still....right?馃お馃お馃お

Registered
Can't say I have heard it being used more right now in particular. It is of course a common colloquialism used in some parts of the USA just as 'eh' is used here in Canada. Perhaps the reason you are hearing it more is because of where the reporting is originating from.

Registered
"y'all" contains the word "all" and the leftist thought police have deemed the word "all" to be racist. Otherwise people would be able to say "All Lives Matter" without being accused of racism.

Registered
Y'all is just regional. Not very new.

Thanks, PG, for your dose of irrelevant political non sequitor. It doesn't even begin to make sense.Totally un-troll-like behaviour.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
da wife has the Ellen show on tv right now...
Ellen is just introducing 3 musicians or songwriters or whatever..
She says: "I'm so happy to talk to y'all."
I suggest Ellen never used to say that....but, If Ellen's now doing it now.....more of the sheep won't be far behind..

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
side note...lol...one of the guys she's interviewing just did another newspeak thing...
starting off his sentence with that annoying extended "I-I-I-I-I-l", instead of just "I"...lol
know what I mean?

Registered
da wife has the Ellen show on tv right now...
Ellen is just introducing 3 musicians or songwriters or whatever..
She says: "I'm so happy to talk to y'all."
I suggest Ellen never used to say that....but, If Ellen's now doing it now.....more of the sheep won't be far behind..
I don't really follow Ellen much, but I thought she always spoke like that. There's nothing new there.

Registered
She was born in Louisiana and later moved to Texas as a teenager. Ya'll think that might have some relevance?

Registered
I found myself having to deliberately choose the word "Folks" when commenting about the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Any opposition towards the actions of Israel were treated as though commentators were child molesters and were accused of being anti-semetic.

Jew seems to be such a harsh word. So I began to use a combination of Jewish Folks.

Registered
I found myself having to deliberately choose the word "Folks" when commenting about the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Any opposition towards the actions of Israel were treated as though commentators were child molesters and were accused of being anti-semetic.

Jew seems to be such a harsh word. So I began to use a combination of Jewish Folks.
Umm, why don't you try using the word 'Israeli/s'. Judaism is a religion, not a nationality. What word/s do you use when referring to people who live in Canada? Protestant folks, catholic folks, muslim folks, etc.? Or do you use 'Canadians' because that is what their nationality is.

Your difficulty is based on your ignorance of what the word Jew actually refers to. It is not a nationality and it is also not a racial or ethnicity term. What's the difference between race and ethnicity?

Registered
Umm, why don't you try using the word 'Israeli/s'. Judaism is a religion, not a nationality. What word/s do you use when referring to people who live in Canada? Protestant folks, catholic folks, muslim folks, etc.? Or do you use 'Canadians' because that is what their nationality is.
Yes. Especially if I am criticizing stuff that is of interest to someone reading what I write.

Here in Mouse Land I call them Catholic Folks or Ukraine Folks too.

I just found that whenever I visited a website here in Mouse Land and complained or agitated in support of the State of Palestine, I was treated like a child molester.

If I used the word "Jew" it was said to be improper and with a hidden agenda.

Just using the word "Jewish" was almost enough to justify excommunication.

It is as though the charge of "anti-semitism" is a Get Out Of Jail Free Card.

So, I thread softly and apolgetically and use the term "Jewish Folks". A kinder sounding term.

Registered
Yes. Especially if I am criticizing stuff that is of interest to someone reading what I write.

Here in Mouse Land I call them Catholic Folks or Ukraine Folks too.

I just found that whenever I visited a website here in Mouse Land and complained or agitated in support of the State of Palestine, I was treated like a child molester.

If I used the word "Jew" it was said to be improper and with a hidden agenda.

Just using the word "Jewish" was almost enough to justify excommunication.

It is as though the charge of "anti-semitism" is a Get Out Of Jail Free Card.

So, I thread softly and apolgetically and use the term "Jewish Folks". A kinder sounding term.
I would suggest using the terms Israelis and Palestinians as I said. Who you are then referring to is quite clear without opening the door to a charge of 'anti-semitism' which only refers to people of the Jewish faith. I suspect that most of those who accused you of anti-semitism are themselves ignorant of the differences.

Registered
I often suspected that it was being done purposely with the hopes of infuriating the pro Palestine writer so that they might strike out with anti-semitism in anger or something like that. And then exclaim that the charge was correct.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts