• - not sure

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • - already got it

Votes: 8 17.0%
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
When it comes to vaccines... I'd like to receive one. However, I still want to make sure that there are no side effects. Well, I know it is totally normal but it should not be too serious. I just want to make sure that this vaccine won't harm my body in the near future. But If I have the chance, I will grab the opportunity. I'll take chances. If other people need it, I'd probably give it to him or her. In this situation, we should recognize who needs it first rather than being selfish and only thinking about ourselves.
All medical interventions have risks and side effects.
So far the COVID19 vaccines have very few serious side effects and are low risk.

The problem is our people don't understand math.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
Another problem with AZ that it's only 10% against South African variant ... Now UK one is dominating, but who knows what will be next
On the plus side for AZ ...

None of the people in the trial died, became severely ill or had to be hospitalized. Efficacy against severe COVID-19 arising from the B.1.351 variant was not assessed in the study because the participants were at lower risk, researchers at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg said in their analysis. The study has not yet been peer-reviewed.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
On the plus side for AZ ...

None of the people in the trial died, became severely ill or had to be hospitalized. Efficacy against severe COVID-19 arising from the B.1.351 variant was not assessed in the study because the participants were at lower risk, researchers at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg said in their analysis. The study has not yet been peer-reviewed.
Really, at this point it's a no brainer, all the approved vaccines dramatically improve your chances.
If I was a 45yr old woman with a history of blood problems & clotting I'd reconsider, but I'm not, so I'd grab AZ today, if the government would let me.
Heck I'd stand outside waiting for the first no-show.

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
Really, at this point it's a no brainer, all the approved vaccines dramatically improve your chances.
If I was a 45yr old woman with a history of blood problems & clotting I'd reconsider, but I'm not, so I'd grab AZ today, if the government would let me.
Heck I'd stand outside waiting for the first no-show.
I wrote earlier (and still believe) that only for young women, specifically, there is concern. I gave the example in some other thread about a 25 year old woman. For her, there isn't much danger of Covid death and yet the AZ blood clotting issue is a concern.

But if someone was, say, a 60 year old male it's an entirely different story. At age 60 you're in significant danger from dying of Covid and I agree that it's a no-brainer to AZ, or JNJ, or any vaccine you can get ASAP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

My wife and I, both age 67, got the Astra Zennica shot on March 30. We both had similar side effects - day of the shot, side effects = zero. Nothing. Next morning, woke up with vaguely sore arm at the injection site. Same as every year for the flu shot. Soreness lasted through the day. Morning of second day, side effects = zero. Nothing. And nothing since. No headaches, nada.
I personally know 1 person whose whole family got Covid, one after the other. His advice to me was "Tony, this is a nasty, nasty thing. Do NOT mess with it, get the first vaccine you can get".
I hope this helps, cheers,
Tony

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I wrote earlier (and still believe) that only for young women, specifically, there is concern. I gave the example in some other thread about a 25 year old woman. For her, there isn't much danger of Covid death and yet the AZ blood clotting issue is a concern.

But if someone was, say, a 60 year old male it's an entirely different story. At age 60 you're in significant danger from dying of Covid and I agree that it's a no-brainer to AZ, or JNJ, or any vaccine you can get ASAP.
James
1 in 3 people suffers continuing neurological or mental disorders after getting COVID.

I think for women in the suspect age, prioritize them for the other vaccines, but the rest of us AZ is just fine.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I just got the AZ vaccine. I'm 60 & in BC (Van-city). Life is good.
Why knock yourself out with all the scrutinizing its efficacy, % this and that, etc? The vaccine was put through all the paces along with the others - they wouldn't offer it if it didn't work.
Tomorrow, my wife gets hers.
Now...I think I'll drink that bottle of red wine that I have in the cellar to celebrate. We're another day closer to putting this thing behind us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm 59...got the 1st shot of AZ last week... Felt slightly feverish, tired for a day and a half as expected (while antibodies were being created) and then was fine after that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All medical interventions have risks and side effects.
So far the COVID19 vaccines have very few serious side effects and are low risk.

The problem is our people don't understand math.

It is still better than contracting the virus.. Here in the philippines we're getting the AZ vaccine and SINOVAC from china..

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
I changed my response to "no" because I'm in my 30s. I looked at the rate of blood clots in Germany, Norway, UK, and then looked at the rates of COVID related fatalities and serious conditions at my age group. I was also mistaken earlier when I thought that only women had these side effects. Males are getting them too.

I believe that at my age, the AZ shot would not make me safer, on the balance of risks. And yes I am considering the blood clot risk from COVID. In any case, Canadian health officials appear to agree with what I'm saying and have already updated the policy.

However I suspect that anyone over age 50 is much better off getting the AZ shot.

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
Not because the risk isn't there for blood clots, but because they would have a much higher risk of death from COVID than you would?
Yes I think so. The risk of death from COVID (and related complications) increases very dramatically with age. COVID is insanely more hazardous to a 70 year old than a 25 year old.

If you were to plot it, I think the blood clot risk is closer to a "flat" curve by age, whereas the COVID/death risk increases exponentially. That's my understanding of it anyway.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
If you were to plot it, I think the blood clot risk is closer to a "flat" curve by age, whereas the COVID/death risk increases exponentially.
Yeah, exponential seems about right. There's a huge risk of death for seniors from COVID, and this is why I am so annoyed that they arbitrarily decided in Canada to extend the interval between first and second dose without any evidence that it's anything but a reckless move.

COVID death rates.png

ltr

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
There's a huge risk of death for seniors from COVID, and this is why I am so annoyed that they arbitrarily decided in Canada to extend the interval between first and second dose without any evidence that it's anything but a reckless move.
I don't think that one was a bad decision and it wasn't completely arbitrary. Immune responses to vaccinations are relatively well known among all the different vaccines from over the years. So they are using known patterns in vaccine's lasting immunity, combined with the fact that the MRNA vaccines produced an unexpectedly powerful immune response after first vaccination. I think there is a scientific basis for their decision on extending the interval.

With vaccines, immunity also does not drop off particularly quickly. It's always a slow decline in protection.

I think what is often glossed over is that Pfizer and Moderna themselves just guessed at the interval as well. So although it was their original guidance, it was somewhat of a guess, and was actually based on very limited data about the power of the first shot's immune response. We actually have more data on that first shot immune response, so we actually have better data now than what Pfizer based their guidance on.

And the first shot has turned out to pack more punch than what everyone initially expected.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
So although it was their original guidance, it was somewhat of a guess, and was actually based on very limited data about the power of the first shot's immune response.
So it would be so easy for Pfizer to clear this up by commenting on this issue - but they don't. Telling.

ltr

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
There's a huge risk of death for seniors from COVID, and this is why I am so annoyed that they arbitrarily decided in Canada to extend the interval between first and second dose without any evidence that it's anything but a reckless move.
There is data available on one vs two shots so you are either not looking or ignoring it. Also, at least here in MB, some people are curently receiving their second shots on a daily basis.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts