• - not sure

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • - already got it

Votes: 20 30.3%
341 - 360 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
AstraZeneca-Oxford developer blasts Canada's approach to vaccine, says 'messing around is going to cost lives'

Oxford University regius professor of medicine Sir John Bell told CTV News’ Question Period, Canada’s approach to AstraZeneca use specifically is reflective of the country’s overall vaccine strategy: “acting on a lot of hearsay not facts.”

“What we can see is that the more people with a second dose, the more people will have antibody levels that are high enough to deal with the Indian variant, which is where we are at the moment, in the U.K. So my advice is get people two doses, as fast as you can and hunker down,” he said.

And on the mixing of vaccines, Bell, who has intimate knowledge of the study currently taking place at the University of Oxford, said initial findings show severe side effect outcomes.
“Our experience to date is that it produces pretty severe reactogenicity, so severe that we don't think that's going to be viable and by that I mean, you get your second dose if you flip it over, you'll get really sick, so I would not advise that,” he said.

ltr

They found that getting a single dose to more people by delaying the second shot would save lives. In people under 65, where the vaccine efficacy is 80% and only 0.1% to 0.3% of the population a day is vaccinated, between 47 and 26 deaths per 100,000 people could be averted, they say in their paper in the British Medical Journal.

If you can show me some data that shows delaying the second dose is costing lives, I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
AstraZeneca-Oxford developer blasts Canada's approach to vaccine, says 'messing around is going to cost lives'

Oxford University regius professor of medicine Sir John Bell told CTV News’ Question Period, Canada’s approach to AstraZeneca use specifically is reflective of the country’s overall vaccine strategy: “acting on a lot of hearsay not facts.”

“What we can see is that the more people with a second dose, the more people will have antibody levels that are high enough to deal with the Indian variant, which is where we are at the moment, in the U.K. So my advice is get people two doses, as fast as you can and hunker down,” he said.

And on the mixing of vaccines, Bell, who has intimate knowledge of the study currently taking place at the University of Oxford, said initial findings show severe side effect outcomes.
“Our experience to date is that it produces pretty severe reactogenicity, so severe that we don't think that's going to be viable and by that I mean, you get your second dose if you flip it over, you'll get really sick, so I would not advise that,” he said.

ltr
Did he mention how many lives were saved by getting vaccine to more people by using 1 dose and putting out the 2nd, less important dose? Also, the idea of mixing doses is all due to Astrazeneca. Their blood clot issue and of course their delivery issue. Do we really want a guy from Oxford University telling us that we should not do this. I think that advice is more then a little tainted.

·
Super Moderator
4,194 Posts
So from this chart you think a 30 year old and 70+ shouldn't be subject to some form of priority?
I'm sure the 30 year has to work, but the senior has to live.
Here's the data from MB reported last week ....

As of Monday, 0.09% people contracted COVID-19 more than 2 weeks after vaccination

That places the chances of dying from COVID-19 for a vaccinated or partly vaccinated Manitoban at one in 68,731, or less than a quarter of the chance getting struck by lightning during your lifetime, assuming you live to 80

·
Registered
206 Posts
How about after 4 months.

ltr

Waiting for a second dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine may offer older people more protection than getting the jab on time, according to a new study.

Researchers in the U.K. looked at 175 people over the age of 80 — giving half their second Pfizer shot at the three-week interval recommended by the drug maker, and making the other half wait 12 weeks for their final dose.

They found the antibody response of those who waited was three-and-a-half times greater than in those who had the second shot within the recommended time frame.

You don't need to selfishly hoard all the vaccine for yourself. You're protected, and your fellow Canadians deserve the same protection.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is what i thought, that astrazeneca was primarily taken by gen x

What is gen x at age 42-55? Also the article that person posted states that they are waiting for more vaccine results before they give astrazeneca second dose.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had my first shot two weeks ago. I had no side effects whatsoever but it was my night to cook so I just used it as an excuse to get out of it. It worked, I'm waiting impatiently for shot no. 2...

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
My side effects from the 2nd shot of AZ lasted 3 days. Same old stuff you hear about in some cases as its different with everyone.
Gosh, that sounds like no fun. Did you have side effects from the first shot? I heard the first shot was worse with AZ, and I was sick for a day afterwards. I was hoping my second would be better!

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
I always read that 2nd AZ shot is milder than 1st one :( After 1st AZ my wife felt bad and had fever for 3 days.....she should have 2nd sometime in future)

·
Registered
431 Posts
2nd doses of AZ had no side effects for the Mrs and I. Our first dose made us sick for 2 days.

·
Registered
510 Posts
What are people thinking about vaccine mixing? With trudeau's doctor and even bonnie henry recommending astrazeneca, I'm inclined to get that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Depends. It is a trade-off. Heard that it gives 7x the antibodies level, but also that side-effects are 10x more likely to happen. Personally I wouldn't mix because side effects sound scarier to me than tiny higher chance of getting infected, but if I was immunocompromised or in a group that is less likely to see side effects, decision might be different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife & I got our second dose of AZ 6 days ago.
Still standing.
ZERO side effects- as per Round 1.

No pearl clutching for us.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There is another point to consider. Currently PZ and MDR are developing booster shot. These probably would deal with the variants that appears lately. However, have not heard from AZ. Guess those who has 2 doses of PZ or MDR would have no problem for the booster shot. But, what about those who has AZ/AZ or AZ/PZ and AZ/MDR ? Would it be better for AZ/PZ/PZ+ for instance....

341 - 360 of 379 Posts