Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About this time of year I always get itchy feet. Here is where I wish I was right now.

Where do you wish you could go?

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I would like to visit Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikim. The Lord of the Rings movies were filmed near there.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am where I want to be but maybe cannot get home!
Well that depends on where 'home' is and that can differ by person. I'm getting philosophical here kcowan.

Some people only ever consider one place 'home'. Perhaps where they were born or grew up. People who emmigrate to another country often refer to the 'old country' or 'home country' as 'home'. Some people get 'homesick' while others like myself understand the concept but have never 'felt' homesick in their lives. I've met tourists who in even less than a week will talk about 'missing home'. I've also met travellers or immigrants who only wax nostalgic for 'home' after far longer periods of time.

Some say, 'home is where the heart is' and others say, 'home is where I lay my head down to sleep'. I've lived in various countries for varying periods of time and have considered all of them my 'home' at the time. For me, home is simply where I live now. Going on a short vacation doesn't mean I consider home as having moved with me but staying anywhere even semi-permanently does. I suppose I could say 'home' is portable to me.

Perhaps this difference in people has more to do with a feeling than a place. If someone 'feels at home' in a place or not.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I am where I want to be but maybe cannot get home!
What's the deal with tourist visas where you are?

I saw a lot of the digital nomads in asia basically got visa amnesty/extensions until things open up again while no new tourist visa will be issued for a long time!

Sounds like a great deal to potentially have famous locations without the crowd, of course also potentially bad if things get worse.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the deal with tourist visas where you are?

I saw a lot of the digital nomads in asia basically got visa amnesty/extensions until things open up again while no new tourist visa will be issued for a long time!

Sounds like a great deal to potentially have famous locations without the crowd, of course also potentially bad if things get worse.
Good point m3s. If you can't leave they pretty much have to let you stay. The problem is if someone doesn't want to stay, they don't care about being allowed to. LOL

In travel forums, how to get around visa time limits is a common topic but it assumes someone wants to stay longer than their visa will allow them to.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Many digital nomads and long term travelers seem to be fine with staying.. they don't even have to do visa runs now.

Some will have a period where locations become accessible to them that are normally over crowded with bus/plane/boatloads of retirees

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I would venture a guess m3s that there are more people 'stuck' than there are people who are happy to stay. Digital nomads and long term travellers may well have as many of them feeling 'stuck' right now as any other travellers. Don't forget, they want to be able to 'do' things wherever they are and right now most can't in most countries. If they are in New Zealand and being allowed to overstay their visas they may be happy since NZ now has no restrictions at all IN the country but not many countries are in the same position regarding restrictions on movement or what is open and closed in the country.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had to drive back to Northern Canada from Mexico at the end of April. Although I have a few very nice gigs up north, I decided during my quarantine in Mexico that it was time to pull the plug even if I truly enjoyed my job, so I came back to sort out a few important files before leaving. As soon as it is safe to travel through the US, I will be out of here and on my way back to the same village in Mexico.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It is summertime. I want to be in the north channel and Manitoulin Island. I was not given the ability to see the value of Europe and other world travel as the rest of you have.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to drive back to Northern Canada from Mexico at the end of April. Although I have a few very nice gigs up north, I decided during my quarantine in Mexico that it was time to pull the plug even if I truly enjoyed my job, so I came back to sort out a few important files before leaving. As soon as it is safe to travel through the US, I will be out of here and on my way back to the same village in Mexico.
If you intend to wait until it is 'safe' ykphil, you may be waiting a long time. IF the border were open to allow you to travel to Mexico, the only 'safe' way to do so at present would be in a totally self-contained RV of some kind and only make stops for gas and sleep in rest stops along the way.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is summertime. I want to be in the north channel and Manitoulin Island. I was not given the ability to see the value of Europe and other world travel as the rest of you have.
If your boat is there and you can be totally self-contained, you could do that right now. The only thing is that going ashore for any reason would be very limited in what you could see and do. If you are happy staying on the water and on your boat, just cruising and enjoying the scenery; anchoring in a bay and jumping in for a swim, etc. there is no reason why you could not enjoy the North Channel this summer. If you want to go ashore to bars and restaurants and engage with people socially however, that's another story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts