Canadian Money Forum banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,194 Posts
But if it was that good, shouldn't you still own it? ;) Or did VW buy it back? I still drive my '85 300D!
I still drive it everyday (except in the winter) and will continue until it dies. It's starting to get some good rust spots now, not sure I want to do bodywork on it. Not that I'd sell mine but the buy back was for VW diesels after 2008.

Those 300Ds are a very sought after bullet proof motors and pretty much run on anything .. cooking oil, bio-diesel,etc!

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
With respect to Uber or Car Sharing apps compared to owning a car, it all comes down to cost versus convenience. For myself, I'm willing to pay and I want convenience, so I own a car.

ltr
If I'm workign from home, $100wk to keep a car just doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
I work from home and having a car is definitely worth it. It really depends on your lifestyle.
You can get a lot of rental cars or ubers for $5k/yr

And I say this as someone who loves to drive. But when I was in school, no car.

·
Super Moderator
4,194 Posts
You can get a lot of rental cars or ubers for $5k/yr
Maybe but since I'm out of the city fishing, dirt biking (means I'm pulling a trailer) or other stuff 3-5 times a week I doubt an Uber or rental would work out for me. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Maybe but since I'm out of the city fishing, dirt biking (means I'm pulling a trailer) or other stuff 3-5 times a week I doubt an Uber or rental would work out for me. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, this is getting rid of my second car. my wife would still have hers.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just picked up a Tesla. Love it and wouldn’t go back to gas. I had all the same concerns as everyone and Tesla has it right. EV is here to stay. Once Tesla rolls out their $25000 model, it’ll be game-over for the other car makers.
Tesla is years ahead when it comes to technology. Still can’t understand why others that have been around 100 years+ can’t figure it out.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Just bought a new 2021 Mazda CX-5 for my wife. Great car. Rated best Compact SUV at Car & Driver for the last 3 years, and I agree with their assessment. It has the regular aspirated 2.5l and 6 speed automatic. Just what I wanted, and it also didn't have some things I didn't want, like engine stop-start, (the stupidest thing I've ever heard of), cylinder de-activation, CVT, and turbo charging. Power and fuel economy mean nothing to me.

Did I look at an EV? No.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
it also didn't have some things I didn't want, like engine stop-start, (the stupidest thing I've ever heard of),
When I'm on my bicycle at a stop light, it's surprising how many cars today shut off when they stop at a light - it's quite noticeable, and then they all restart when the light turns green.

Can you imaging how hard that is on a starter after a couple hundred thousand miles? Crazy. Of course when those cars start they all blow a little smoke out their exhausts - isn't that worse than idling?

I do believe there's an over-ride for that feature though?

ltr

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just picked up a Tesla. Love it and wouldn’t go back to gas. I had all the same concerns as everyone and Tesla has it right. EV is here to stay. Once Tesla rolls out their $25000 model, it’ll be game-over for the other car makers.
Tesla is years ahead when it comes to technology. Still can’t understand why others that have been around 100 years+ can’t figure it out.
Once Toyota, Honda, and Volkswagen put out a 25K EV model it will be game over for Tesla. How is the build quality on your hype machine? I think the Mach-E is a better option than the Tesla. Why did you choose a Tesla over that? The Mach-E is cheaper. Looks are up to each individual so I'll leave that alone.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Once Toyota, Honda, and Volkswagen put out a 25K EV model it will be game over for Tesla.

Right you are. And what's more, they won't be assembled in a tent.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Just bought a new 2021 Mazda CX-5 for my wife. Great car. Rated best Compact SUV at Car & Driver for the last 3 years, and I agree with their assessment. It has the regular aspirated 2.5l and 6 speed automatic. Just what I wanted, and it also didn't have some things I didn't want, like engine stop-start, (the stupidest thing I've ever heard of), cylinder de-activation, CVT, and turbo charging. Power and fuel economy mean nothing to me.

Did I look at an EV? No.
I certainly agree about stupid stop-start, cylinder de-activation and CVT. Those things make sewing machines out of engines. I just about puked test driving the likes of a RAV4 and a CRV in comparison. The 2.5L turbo in our CX-5 is awesome and is now also available in the CX-30 too.

Power with a well designed turbo with no lag is fundamentally important to me on BC's 2 lane mountain highways where passing slow vehicles and 18 wheelers on an 8% grades is a valid safety concern. I like 310-320 ft lbs of torque in those situations to get by in mere seconds. That and their Sky-Activ technology will keep ICEs competitive.

A few articles...
Turbo - Deep Dive: Inside the Mazda Skyactiv 2.5T Turbo Engine
Sky-Activ -

141 - 155 of 155 Posts