Canadian Money Forum banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
One of my problems is that I only use my car for short distances about once a week. A 12volt battery usually does me about 2 years, so I was wondering how the EV's would accept those sort of conditions. I think the last thing anyone would want is to replace the big battery in an EV. No doubt I would still have to replace the EV's 12 volt battery fairly often.
Lithium ion batteries are totally different than lead acid 12v batteries. Most manufacturers warranty the pack for 8 years+ so you can be pretty confident it will last well longer than that, as they really don't want to be replacing many of them. Most EVs have sophisticated battery management systems with active heating and cooling to baby the battery pack to maximize its life.

I think you can get a used Nissan Leaf for $10kish. That would be suitable for driving <100km once per week.

It will take a long time for Teslas like Model 3/Y to become common enough to be reasonable used cars. Their resale values are crazy.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I think you can get a used Nissan Leaf for $10kish. That would be suitable for driving <100km once per week.
Good info on the battery, thanks. I usually drive in the 2K a year range. I turn my cars in at about 10 years (that I always buy new) and they usually have about 20K on them. Makes quite a stir at the dealership. I never get what they're worth.

I suppose you would leave an EV plugged in all the time to free the big battery from having to tend to the computers and heaters, etc. That would help save it's life I suppose. I know with my gas car, the 12 volt battery has to run a bunch of computers all the time, plus the theft system, and it's always asking if the key fob is nearby since I don't have a key, etc, etc. This kills a battery in Canada for sure and if you only drive once a week at most, they don't last long.

ltr

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
This is kind of sad, I've driven hatchbacks most of my life and really like them. I would look at a VW ID3 if they bring it to Canada.
Looks like it is supposed to be here this Fall

I think I should call the dealer!

For the first year following its late summer 2021 launch, availability of ID.4 will be limited to select dealers located primarily in Quebec, and British Columbia to meet its ZEV mandate requirement in those provinces. Shortly afterwards, in early fall, availability in Ontario will follow. Specific information and a list of participating dealers will be published closer to the vehicle’s introduction.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yup, my golf has been good to me but it is turning 20 years old next year so I'm not sure how long it'll last.

I did see the ID4 has a tow rating but that's bigger than what I'd want.
FWIW, the ID4 is essentially the same as the Audi Q4 e-tron. They are both based on the same platform, it's just a question of style and finish. 2022 Audi Q4 e-tron Is the VW ID.4's Upscale Sibling.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
After reading this thread, I am leaning toward an EV or hybrid. I still have at least a year before I buy (when my oldest starts driving, she can have the old car). I drive about 400km a week (during pre-covid), it might be less later when the oldest starts driving herself.

Now I am wondering which vehicles we should start researching. Its a while since I last researched a car. I usually get one every 12-14 years.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So I'm looking into a new vehicle as well. However, I'm finding the EVs just too small. More importantly, the range is changing rapidly. Because of the rapid change, leasing and ICE vehicle might be a better option....

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Umm, sedans are dying and getting eaten by hatchback CUVs. You can buy small CUVs as well. The only difference is that they ride a bit higher and cost more than older car-like hatchbacks. Automakers couldn't convince people to spend much on hatchback cars but the market is gobbling up higher prices CUVs that are basically the same thing but taller.
Well yeah, but given the Choice between a Golf and a Tiguan, I'd choose the Golf, Golf wagon is even better.

Also it's important to note that in the VW world "platform" isn't too much of a limit, they have various vehicles built off the same platform that are wildly different in final presentation.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
Good info on the battery, thanks. I usually drive in the 2K a year range. I turn my cars in at about 10 years (that I always buy new) and they usually have about 20K on them. Makes quite a stir at the dealership. I never get what they're worth.

I suppose you would leave an EV plugged in all the time to free the big battery from having to tend to the computers and heaters, etc. That would help save it's life I suppose. I know with my gas car, the 12 volt battery has to run a bunch of computers all the time, plus the theft system, and it's always asking if the key fob is nearby since I don't have a key, etc, etc. This kills a battery in Canada for sure and if you only drive once a week at most, they don't last long.

ltr
If you drive so few KMs, you're better off buying a 5 year old mid-mileage car every 5 years. You'll have a 10 year old low mileage car that is pretty appealing for entry level buyers. I have an 11 year old car that I feel embarassed to want to get rid of at 220km. It is in great condition except for some stone chips and dings, and runs great etc. I want to get a larger/more flexible vehicle. My next one will be 4-5 year old car with 80k-ish km. I'm waiting for now as both the new and used car market are tight due to supply disruptions.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
Honestly, with so few kms driven you might be better off forgetting the car and using Uber to get everywhere!

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
It's the (in)convenience factor that would stop me from using car sharing services on a regular basis. When I decide to do something, or go somewhere, it is often instantaneous...not 20 minutes from now. Plus I may make 'on the go' changes in where I want to go and when. I will only use Uber et al when I no longer have a DL or no longer go anywhere more than once a week. Our vehicle gets daily use, sometimes 2-3 times a day.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Now I am wondering which vehicles we should start researching. Its a while since I last researched a car. I usually get one every 12-14 years.
Decide first on body type, e.g. CUV, SUV, sedan, hatchback, and then size of vehicle, and eventually trim level/technology. There is a lot of googling that can be done within a market segment.

For example, we were in the market last summer for the first time in 8 years because spouse was having trouble with a monster 7 passenger SUV (that she actually wanted originally back in 2012 to haul family around). We had decided on a compact 5 seater SUV/CUV to replace the monster SUV (we like the cargo capacity/flexibility of a CUV/SUV over a hatchback). We googled for vehicles in that segment and the various ratings from a host of 'review' sites, including for example Every 2021 Compact Crossover SUV Ranked from Worst to Best and https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-suvs and short listed a half dozen for on site physical review and/or test drive.

·
Super Moderator
4,194 Posts
FWIW, the ID4 is essentially the same as the Audi Q4 e-tron. They are both based on the same platform, it's just a question of style and finish. 2022 Audi Q4 e-tron Is the VW ID.4's Upscale Sibling.
ID4 is just to big, I'd much rather have an ID3 provided it could tow 1000# and it should have a much lower sticker price. I wish they'd give back some of that carbon tax to make EVs priced much closer to their equivalent ICE models. FWIW, I just filled up my Golf and got 5.1l/100kms for 50% hwy (towing a small trailer) and the rest city driving. Would be a long time before a EV would pay off for me on a fuel vs electric comparison.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
ID4 is just to big, I'd much rather have an ID3 provided it could tow 1000# and it should have a much lower sticker price. I wish they'd give back some of that carbon tax to make EVs priced much closer to their equivalent ICE models. FWIW, I just filled up my Golf and got 5.1l/100kms for 50% hwy (towing a small trailer) and the rest city driving. Would be a long time before a EV would pay off for me on a fuel vs electric comparison.
Must have the older one, I've got the 1.8T, I get just under 6L/100km.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
2002 TDI, the high mileage champ! :)

If they still made this car I'd buy another in a second flat.
I know a few guys who have stupid miles on those, just shows a properly designed turbo is just fine.

But 170 hp in a Golf is a LOT of fun, even for the extra 1L/100km of fuel.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Honestly, with so few kms driven you might be better off forgetting the car and using Uber to get everywhere!
With respect to Uber or Car Sharing apps compared to owning a car, it all comes down to cost versus convenience. For myself, I'm willing to pay and I want convenience, so I own a car.

ltr

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
They are giving it back to you. It's up to you to decide how you spend it.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts