Canadian Money Forum banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Honestly, seems like extra overhead for minimal gain, as I imagine most people are going to be honest. I'm just thinking to the service center where I get plates renewed and I imagine it could get busy (not much staff). Plus most people do it on-line so they are staffed accordingly.

Sure, I mean we do that with motor oil right?
Yes we do. Don't you????? If not, I can't imagine what you do with it.

If you get car serviced by dealer or garage it gets done anyway and the facilities that re-refine used oil do have to meet environmental laws.

I change the oil on my 3 older cars myself. Total of about 24 Litres a year. Canadian Tire take it even if we didn't buy it there. It gets added to their used oil and goes to a recycler.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I think they need to get proper EV battery recycling in place before the flood of old batteries starts to happen.
This is happening. Full Page Reload

One of the companies mentioned in the above link has a pilot plant near us in Kingston (rode bike by there last week!) Head office is in Mississauga. It is presently called Li-Cycle. They are building a large plant in Rochester on the old Kodak property.

The company was to go public in February in NY. - Haven't read anything about it recently though. But it seems they will merge with an acquisition company.

Interestingly, they can recycle all types of batteries regardless of chemistry.

I don't see anyone throwing these batteries away! They retain many valuable elements even when no longer useful. Even without legislation, they will get recycled!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought RAV4 in2019, should be good for another 10years. By the time I should have a lot choices for a normal EV. Tesla has way too much gimmicks. And the idea of Tesla can control your car via air is scary. Hope the other car maker will not to follow Tesla's suite building intelligent cars. I just need plain four wheels .

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I bought RAV4 in2019, should be good for another 10years. By the time I should have a lot choices for a normal EV. Tesla has way too much gimmicks. And the idea of Tesla can control your car via air is scary. Hope the other car maker will not to follow Tesla's suite building intelligent cars. I just need plain four wheels .
I think the fact that they remotely change driving parameters is the really scary part.

You hope in and the steering ratio is different, or the acceleration curves. That's crazy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been driving a Volt for 3 years. Love it. Not all electric, but I put something like 70L of fuel into it in a typical year for trips that are beyond its electric range. The cost to drive on electric is about one half o ne third the cost to drive this thing on gas. On gas it gets 5.2l/100km.

So the next car will have a larger electric range and will be all electric.
Another Gen2 Volt owner here, We were paying ~ $100 to fill our accord with a range of 500kms, the volt costs ~ $8 in electricity to go the same distance, so about 12:1 savings
Last time I put gas in it was in the spring of 2020. Only downside is if it needs repairs, I won't be able to fix it and the cost will wipe out a good portion of any savings.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts