Canadian Money Forum banner

101 - 120 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Honestly, seems like extra overhead for minimal gain, as I imagine most people are going to be honest. I'm just thinking to the service center where I get plates renewed and I imagine it could get busy (not much staff). Plus most people do it on-line so they are staffed accordingly.

Sure, I mean we do that with motor oil right?
Yes we do. Don't you????? If not, I can't imagine what you do with it.

If you get car serviced by dealer or garage it gets done anyway and the facilities that re-refine used oil do have to meet environmental laws.

I change the oil on my 3 older cars myself. Total of about 24 Litres a year. Canadian Tire take it even if we didn't buy it there. It gets added to their used oil and goes to a recycler.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I think they need to get proper EV battery recycling in place before the flood of old batteries starts to happen.
This is happening. Full Page Reload

One of the companies mentioned in the above link has a pilot plant near us in Kingston (rode bike by there last week!) Head office is in Mississauga. It is presently called Li-Cycle. They are building a large plant in Rochester on the old Kodak property.

The company was to go public in February in NY. - Haven't read anything about it recently though. But it seems they will merge with an acquisition company.

Interestingly, they can recycle all types of batteries regardless of chemistry.

I don't see anyone throwing these batteries away! They retain many valuable elements even when no longer useful. Even without legislation, they will get recycled!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought RAV4 in2019, should be good for another 10years. By the time I should have a lot choices for a normal EV. Tesla has way too much gimmicks. And the idea of Tesla can control your car via air is scary. Hope the other car maker will not to follow Tesla's suite building intelligent cars. I just need plain four wheels .

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
I bought RAV4 in2019, should be good for another 10years. By the time I should have a lot choices for a normal EV. Tesla has way too much gimmicks. And the idea of Tesla can control your car via air is scary. Hope the other car maker will not to follow Tesla's suite building intelligent cars. I just need plain four wheels .
I think the fact that they remotely change driving parameters is the really scary part.

You hope in and the steering ratio is different, or the acceleration curves. That's crazy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been driving a Volt for 3 years. Love it. Not all electric, but I put something like 70L of fuel into it in a typical year for trips that are beyond its electric range. The cost to drive on electric is about one half o ne third the cost to drive this thing on gas. On gas it gets 5.2l/100km.

So the next car will have a larger electric range and will be all electric.
Another Gen2 Volt owner here, We were paying ~ $100 to fill our accord with a range of 500kms, the volt costs ~ $8 in electricity to go the same distance, so about 12:1 savings
Last time I put gas in it was in the spring of 2020. Only downside is if it needs repairs, I won't be able to fix it and the cost will wipe out a good portion of any savings.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
. I just need plain four wheels .
Me too, but problem is that the younger gen want bells & whistles. I bought a new Mercedes in 2014. Specified no sun roof, no nav, no bells or whistles. Traded after 5 years. My pristine car sat on dealers lot for over a year while others with higher mileage sold. Dealer told me that current buyers want all that stuff.
Hoping VW will come out with a people's EV! (I own their shares :) )

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
I like all the technology, especially safety and comfort, and always buy the hghest, or second highest, trim level. I tend to keep vehicles 10-15 years and I need all that I can get on a new vehicle so that it does not become Cretaceous dated too soon.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I won't keep a modern car beyond the manufacturer's warranty. And I want that warranty to cover Canada and USA.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
More than likely I'll buy an EV, but that's still possibly 8 years down the road as my car is still fine. These days there's a lot more choice as traditional car manufacturers are entering the market. Even Toyota, in partnership with Subaru, is releasing a new EV next year: Toyota’s new all-electric bZ4X will land in Canadian dealerships mid-2022

To be honest, based on my car usage patterns lately, I could even work with a 200 km range car, and charge it once a week.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm not a car guy.

I had a Mazda 3 2007 (sedan) and when I met my girlfriend she had a Hyundai Accent 2014 (hatchback). Even though her car was smaller, now that I've experienced hatchback cars I would never go back to sedan. Our next car will be hatchback or small SUV. If I were to change today, I think I'd buy a Hyundai Kona electric.

But since we don't use our car they much, we keep the car for something like 15 years so we're not ready to change yet.

But, yes, our next car will be electric, no doubt about that. It must be able to hold a 250 km range in winter conditions and as a used vehicle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Love the idea of an EV that is fully charged every morning with all the new tech. I'm due to replace my 18 year old Honda one day but the darn thing runs so well it's not a priority. Put me in the unwilling to pay the high premium over the equivalent gas models category - I was looking at the Audi e-tron vs it's internal combustion Q7 brother and the premium for the EV was about 25% if you can even find one.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
I had a Mazda 3 2007 (sedan) and when I met my girlfriend she had a Hyundai Accent 2014 (hatchback). Even though her car was smaller, now that I've experienced hatchback cars I would never go back to sedan. Our next car will be hatchback or small SUV. If I were to change today, I think I'd buy a Hyundai Kona electric.
Hatchbacks have gone the way of the dinosaur in North America versus Asia and Europe. I've never understood why someone would want a sedan over a hatchback in the subcompact and compact categories either since sedans have no carrying capacity. But no matter, those who had hatchbacks are now buying the CUV/SUV versions* instead.

* Example: Why buy a Mazda 3 today when one can buy the CX-3 or CX-30 instead?

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
This is kind of sad, I've driven hatchbacks most of my life and really like them. I would look at a VW ID3 if they bring it to Canada.
There are no doubt a few makes and models left in the hatchback category but they are not obvious to me.

Added: Looks like there are 18 models left in the USA at least https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/hatchbacks Not as scarce as I thought if in fact all of those are indeed available as true hatchbacks.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
This is kind of sad, I've driven hatchbacks most of my life and really like them. I would look at a VW ID3 if they bring it to Canada.
Love my Golf, way better than my old Malibu.

If the Golf wagon was rated for a small trailer, I'd have already bought one.
I look at the SUVs, you don't get much more room vs a hatchback.

·
Super Moderator
4,199 Posts
Love my Golf, way better than my old Malibu.

If the Golf wagon was rated for a small trailer, I'd have already bought one.
I look at the SUVs, you don't get much more room vs a hatchback.
Yup, my golf has been good to me but it is turning 20 years old next year so I'm not sure how long it'll last.

I did see the ID4 has a tow rating but that's bigger than what I'd want.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Yeah, I would like an EV for the experience, but the price is still pretty high. Gas costs wouldn't save me any money as I drive very little.

I have had my eye on an Mazda MX30 to replace my present car which is a Mazda-3. I'm getting too old to drop down into the driver seat any more, so I would like the raised MX-30 to save my back. I see the MX-30 this year will have an EV version, plus an option for a gas rotary wankel range extender charger - that would be good for those that need extra distance.

One of my problems is that I only use my car for short distances about once a week. A 12volt battery usually does me about 2 years, so I was wondering how the EV's would accept those sort of conditions. I think the last thing anyone would want is to replace the big battery in an EV. No doubt I would still have to replace the EV's 12 volt battery fairly often.

I see Mazda is discontinuing the CX-3.

ltr

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Hatchbacks have gone the way of the dinosaur in North America versus Asia and Europe. I've never understood why someone would want a sedan over a hatchback in the subcompact and compact categories either since sedans have no carrying capacity. But no matter, those who had hatchbacks are now buying the CUV/SUV versions* instead.

* Example: Why buy a Mazda 3 today when one can buy the CX-3 or CX-30 instead?
Umm, sedans are dying and getting eaten by hatchback CUVs. You can buy small CUVs as well. The only difference is that they ride a bit higher and cost more than older car-like hatchbacks. Automakers couldn't convince people to spend much on hatchback cars but the market is gobbling up higher prices CUVs that are basically the same thing but taller.

101 - 120 of 167 Posts