Canadian Money Forum banner
901 - 920 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I don't have personal experience, but people I've talked to who don't have a Tesla don't use their lane keep because it just bounces along the lane and their adaptive cruise control is very jolting (Volt and Outlander). The Tesla is butter smooth!
Have heard about numerous Tesla quality problems, but no personal experience, so won't go there. I do understand that for the high price of these vehicles, buyer would expect quality.

Regarding the adaptive cruise and lane assist. Our Subaru Outback has that as apart of it's Eyesight system.
  • The adaptive cruise works fantastically. Never any kind of problem. We use it whenever we are on a highway.
  • I turn off the lane assist. I don't like it because it feels like I am driving on a windy day. I don't always want to be where it wants me to be, for example when cornering.
Of course Outback is not an EV. You would think adaptive cruise would be easier to get right on an EV.

·
Registered
14,418 Posts
Maybe you like to ignore bad news, but the phantom braking issue is well known and a good reason not to use the autopilot, which means you don't have any cruise control functionality.

Of course, you'll say you haven't seen it, but lots of people have and it's a recipe for disaster as it can lead people getting rear-ended due to sudden, unexplained stops.
And yet, autopilot has a much lower accident rate.

·
Registered
14,418 Posts
Probably just statistical probability, so few FSD on the road plus people are there to correct it's mistakes.
Not sure that is how stats work. There are millions of Tesla's driving billions of miles.... That is enough for statistically significant data. Regardless of whether people correct mistakes or not (they do) Tesla's active safety outperforms the average others. It is not perfect, but it is not more dangerous on balance as FUDsters here are spinning it to be.

·
Super Moderator
4,521 Posts
There are millions of Tesla's driving billions of miles.... That is enough for statistically significant data. Regardless of whether people correct mistakes or not (they do) Tesla's active safety outperforms the average others. It is not perfect, but it is not more dangerous on balance as FUDsters here are spinning it to be.
The article was a little unclear as to which system FSD vs autopilot had a more serious issue. If it was mainly FSD (which they did pull the software version) then the number was only ~2000 cars at best not millions like you say.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I don't think there would be any real difference ... all it does is speed up, maintain or slow down.
Controlling an electric motor's speed is surely quite different from controlling an internal combustion engine speed. On an EV, it would be an electronic/electrical system. On an ICE vehicle, it is often an electronic/electric/vacuum/mechanical system. End result same, but quite different mechanisms to get there.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
And yet, autopilot has a much lower accident rate.
Than what? You mean this? Elon Musk says a Tesla on Autopilot is 10 times less likely to crash than the average car, but experts say that stat is misleading

Essentially, it's cherry-picked data, comparing all drivers/incidents/situations (regular crash rate), to highway only driving (tesla stats). Given that only 17% of the fatal crashes are on highways, that much lower accident rate isn't so impressive. Or the fact that self-driving may disengage right before a crash, so that can skew the stats when they point to the accident and say, "look, self-driving wasn't engaged", but overlooking the fact that it may have been contributing to the incident right up until it disengages.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
The reality is the median driver isn't that bad.

Almost all collisions are caused by drunk, impaired, or actively bad driving.

Very very few are actual accidents, or caused by mechanical failure.

Autopilot can easily be slightly worse than the average sober driver and still come out way ahead of the average driver if you throw a few drunks into the mix.

·
Super Moderator
4,521 Posts
Controlling an electric motor's speed is surely quite different from controlling an internal combustion engine speed. On an EV, it would be an electronic/electrical system. On an ICE vehicle, it is often an electronic/electric/vacuum/mechanical system. End result same, but quite different mechanisms to get there.
It's all just software now, haven't seen a vacuum/mechanical system for decades.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
I saw an ad the other day for a GMC vehicle that practically drives itself. It will in dealerships soon.

Our 2022 GM Trailblazer has all the driver assistance technology and it works flawlessly.

This technology is everywhere now. Tesla had the EV head start, but everyone is catching up quickly.

EV sales will boil down to manufacturer loyalty and model preference.

Tesla will have to "up" their game as every review I have seen on them isn't very good and word travels around the world today.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I saw an ad the other day for a GMC vehicle that practically drives itself. It will in dealerships soon.

Our 2022 GM Trailblazer has all the driver assistance technology and it works flawlessly.

This technology is everywhere now. Tesla had the EV head start, but everyone is catching up quickly.

EV sales will boil down to manufacturer loyalty and model preference.

Tesla will have to "up" their game as every review I have seen on them isn't very good and word travels around the world today.
Tesla is far ahead in data and tech. Driver assistance is not the same ball park. FSD is in beta testing. I haven't heard of GM beta testing any FSD

TSLA stock price tells me a lot about manufacturer loyalty and model preference. Why aren't the boomers investing as much in GM? That capital and investor confidence gives Tesla a huge edge imo. GM brand loyalty will only decline naturally assuming its fanbase is older on average. This should also mean GM fanbase should have far more capital to invest in GM and yet why don't they attract more investment?

You have to look further ahead from reviews of current models. Investors are pricing in future potential. They are also probably pricing in GM's track record

·
Registered
17,178 Posts

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Tesla doesn't need to spend any money on TV commercials. What a waste of investor funds

If it's only on TV no wonder nobody I know has ever mentioned it. Have they tried YouTube, Netflix, hulu, amazon or Twitch?

Seems like I hear about Tesla and Elon non stop. The meme himself is the commercial

·
Super Moderator
4,521 Posts
Open your eyes. Not worth commenting further.
My eyes are open ... I guess you think gas pedals still have a cable connected to them? Sure there still is mechanical in most systems BUT the ecm controls that. So to tack on cruise control it is now just a matter of reading sensors and having the ecm adjust the speed (i.e. software).

901 - 920 of 920 Posts