Canadian Money Forum banner
821 - 840 of 889 Posts

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Ontario wants to be the home where auto makers build EVs for sale around the world, but not so much in Ontario.

We want the jobs and revenues, but not provide for Ontario consumers to actually own them.

Example.....the building code said that new builds had to provide wiring to put in an EV charger. The Ford government eliminated that from the code.

Example.....the Ford government eliminated all subsidies to EV vehicles.

So.....buy yourself an EV made in Ontario.....we appreciate your support.

·
Super Moderator
4,507 Posts
Refreshes don't concern me. Almost every manufacturer does refreshes within a vehicle's generation as they should, e.g. upgrade of an iffy part, new technologies, safety systems, etc. For example, Mazda put a bigger infotainment screen in their 2021 CX-5 versus my 2020, and for 2022, they sharpened the front and tail end looks a bit. Those are natural evolutions. But to the extent they completely change the CX-5 to a whole new inlilne 6 design to go more upscale to compete with BMW for 2023 (as is currently rumoured), I'd never touch the vehicle for at least 3 years into that design.
Refreshes can include new motors, sometimes it's an optional one. Point being, the more they share parts on common platforms the more it generally helps reliability.

In any case, EV builds are still in their growing/learning/improving phase with many new systems not related to knowledge gained on ICE platforms.

·
Registered
12,313 Posts
Refreshes can include new motors, sometimes it's an optional one. Point being, the more they share parts on common platforms the more it generally helps reliability.

In any case, EV builds are still in their growing/learning/improving phase with many new systems not related to knowledge gained on ICE platforms.
Fully agree.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
... the Ford government eliminated all subsidies to EV vehicles.

Exactly, we appreciate when citizens support cars made in Ontario. It would be foolish for the Ontario government to buy vehicles for people. Thank goodness for clear thinkers like Ford.

ltr

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ontario wants to be the home where auto makers build EVs for sale around the world, but not so much in Ontario.

We want the jobs and revenues, but not provide for Ontario consumers to actually own them.

Example.....the building code said that new builds had to provide wiring to put in an EV charger. The Ford government eliminated that from the code.

Example.....the Ford government eliminated all subsidies to EV vehicles.

If you want an EV then you pay it and for your connection.

If you're not willing to do that you don't want one that bad.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Because only relatively rich people buy electric cars.
The federal grant of $5000 is not applicable to all cars. I believe the max MSRP is $55k. Any EV over that amount gets no subsidy on the Federal side. Provincial varies but hovers a similar amount.

Unless all "rich" people are buying EVs under $55k, then your statement would be correct.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
GM announces the Hummer Edition 1 will be rolling off production lines in December.

President Biden took a ride in one, during an event at GM. Biden is a well known "car guy" and he called it "one hell of a vehicle"

The US provides a $12,500 EV subsidy and GM has 125,000 people on the waiting list for a Hummer. The cost is $113,000 USD.

Personally, I think it is butt ugly and would buy a Cadillac before a Hummer.

A Cadillac Lyriq is a beautiful thing to behold.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Personally, I think it is butt ugly and would buy a Cadillac before a Hummer.
Totally agree, but I think the Hummer feeds the "rebel cool person" thing, so they're popular.
There are lots of features people feel they have to have today that really aren't required to drive on our paved roads in the city. Top of the list is AWD. Such nonsense. Others will disagree.

ltr

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
The federal grant of $5000 is not applicable to all cars. I believe the max MSRP is $55k. Any EV over that amount gets no subsidy on the Federal side. Provincial varies but hovers a similar amount.

Unless all "rich" people are buying EVs under $55k, then your statement would be correct.
Firstly I'm not talking about that MSRP $55k max program you're talking about.

I was quoting the thread about chargers subsidies, not EV vehicles. If you can afford to buy an EV, you can afford the charger.

Most new car purchases are by middle or middle upper income.

Generally electric cars are slightly higher cost than the ICE equivalent, and I'd suggest that they are more likely to be purchased by more affluent individuals, ie "the rich".

If you accept that expensive cars, which EV's typically are, are purchased by wealthier people "the rich", then subsidizing chargers is really a subsidy for EV owners, who are "the rich".

It isn't like an EV charger subsidy is going to lower the cost of your bus/subway pass.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

I was quoting the thread about chargers subsidies, not EV vehicles. If you can afford to buy an EV, you can afford the charger.

Generally electric cars are slightly higher cost than the ICE equivalent, and I'd suggest that they are more likely to be purchased by more affluent individuals, ie "the rich".

If you accept that expensive cars, which EV's typically are, are purchased by wealthier people "the rich", then subsidizing chargers is really a subsidy for EV owners, who are "the rich".

It isn't like an EV charger subsidy is going to lower the cost of your bus/subway pass.
I agree - no reason to subsidize the chargers.

Most people, including myself, will not take the offer. Informed EV owners understand how to achieve a level 2 charger for minimal costs. Personally, it cost me $15. I find it ridiculous people will pay an electrician up to $2000 just to benefit from a grant of $600 (depending your province).

·
Registered
39 Posts

If the government didn't have the incentives then the adoption wouldn't be as fast and we would be paying carbon credits to other countries(I think)? The incentives also produce more jobs in that they get electricians more work by installing chargers. In Ontario, overnight charging really helps the nuclear reactors that over produce during the night time (you can't shut down a nuclear reactor since it would take two days to bring it back up).

Also the the subsidy still gives incentive to buy more EVs thus driving the price down so that others will be able to buy it earlier. In this way, I would say that the early adopters are subsidizing the later adopters.

I own a Tesla and I don't think I'm rich. I work hard and save my money!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
No, we would not be paying carbon credits to other countries.

The logic seems a bit backwards - later adopters who can't afford it now or choose not to because of financial prudency are subsidizing early adopters.
Early adopters are the ones who get money out of tax pool that everyone pays into.

Although not rich, I am sure you can come up with significantly large group of people that could use the welfare you received for your Tesla much more.
The current climate policies are the biggest wealth transfers from the poor to the rich that we have seen in recent history

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
If the government didn't have the incentives then the adoption wouldn't be as fast
I think it would be, it isn't like there are EV's sitting on dealer lots.

and we would be paying carbon credits to other countries(I think)?
We shouldn't be doing this at all.

The incentives also produce more jobs in that they get electricians more work by installing chargers.
I don't know any tradesman who need more work.

Also the the subsidy still gives incentive to buy more EVs thus driving the price down so that others will be able to buy it earlier. In this way, I would say that the early adopters are subsidizing the later adopters.
Again, you're talking like price is why people don't buy EVs.
The reason we're not buying more EVs is that there aren't any for sale.

I own a Tesla and I don't think I'm rich. I work hard and save my money!
Is your household income above $80k?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
GM announces the Hummer Edition 1 will be rolling off production lines in December.

President Biden took a ride in one, during an event at GM. Biden is a well known "car guy" and he called it "one hell of a vehicle"

The US provides a $12,500 EV subsidy and GM has 125,000 people on the waiting list for a Hummer. The cost is $113,000 USD.
It's a good subsidy imo. 2 birds 1 stone (climate and jobs)

Why does Biden promote GM so much while pretending Tesla doesn't exist?

Tesla is also America

821 - 840 of 889 Posts