Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Try to find one in North America now (less than 5 years old).
Also, one that doesn't "require" trailer brakes over 1000 lbs.
Not following? EVs are actually pretty good for braking. Reg can apply a lot of braking force without fading. Jut don't charge to 100% at the top of a hill!

Here was one test. IIRC they didn't even need to use the friction brakes.

Of course, towing regulations in North America are quite conservative compared to Europe.

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
Not following? EVs are actually pretty good for braking. Reg can apply a lot of braking force without fading. Jut don't charge to 100% at the top of a hill!

Here was one test. IIRC they didn't even need to use the friction brakes.

Of course, towing regulations in North America are quite conservative compared to Europe.
So you went from "small car" to over $100K worth SUV .... yup, not following. :)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
If you only care about your personal best interest, shouldn't you snag the subsidy and stiff the oil industry (freeload off the people are loyal to burning thing).
Ha. Well I was just listing any number of reasons I could use to justify not buying an EV next. They don't need to all be coherent together.

Not that I actually vote in "my personal best interest" anyways. I was just making a point about the selfish, shallow justifications society uses when they won't admit that their decisions are just for their own best interest or to make themselves feel good.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
So you went from "small car" to over $100K worth SUV .... yup, not following. :)
No, just pointing out that EVs don't suffer the same problems as ICE vehicles when it comes to brakes, transmission, etc. though they do suffer significant range hits.

Model 3 is not rated for towing in NA (though it is in Europe), so I could not show you a video. Model Y can tow 3500lbs.

Really, if you are towing heavier loads, this is what you would be looking for. Volume production <9 months. $70k for 500 mi range (and <3s 0-60).

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Lol at towing with a Tesla...like a Toyota. Andrew, you should be selling these cars! Super fanboi!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
VOLTSWAGEN????

US operations of VW to be renamed! I wish I had bought more shares when I did a month or so ago.

Starting to look like the first affordable and usable EVs for average guys/gals might be VWs. But likely not for 4 or 5 years at least.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I find it hard to get past how hideous that Cybertruck is. I'm a big EV proponent but that has to be the ugliest vehicle ever.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
VOLTSWAGEN????

US operations of VW to be renamed! I wish I had bought more shares when I did a month or so ago.

Starting to look like the first affordable and usable EVs for average guys/gals might be VWs. But likely not for 4 or 5 years at least.
I wish I had registered the domain name back in 2003.

Voltswagen.com........was first registered in 2003. It was renewed April 2020 for 1 year. Registration is due April 2022. I wonder if VW owns it or will be buying it from someone.

Domain Name: VOLTSWAGEN.COM
Registry Domain ID: 96972744_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.moniker.com
Registrar URL: Moniker | Domain Management - Domain Name Services
Updated Date: 2020-04-19T07:40:11Z
Creation Date: 2003-04-18T18:06:03Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2021-04-18T18:06:03Z
Registrar: Moniker Online Services LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 228
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +49.68949396850
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Name Server: NS1.PARKINGSPA.COM
Name Server: NS2.PARKINGSPA.COM

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
Those folk who live remote from a dealership who can service the vehicle soon learn how complicated and disadvantageous that can be, and the reason why the mix of vehicles often align fairly well with service centres in their area. I think the legacy manufacturers with their dealership network will have an inherent advantage. There is not a remote chance in hell that I'd ever have a Tesla here, almost 400km from a Tesla service centre.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Electric pick-ups seem like a good idea. The chassis is already designed to carry large load, so adding long range batteries shouldn't be a problem while still leaving space to carry some stuff. Towing shouldn't be a problem! Some of models on horizon have range of ~700km. Not really needed by those who use them mainly around town.

Ford look like the leader is this part of the market. Maybe I should buy some Ford shares to go along with the VWs to round out an EV bet ??

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
I said possible, not great! Range is an issue. Cybertruck will have a big fat battery, designed for towing (though still with a range hit). It will have 500 mi range without towing, so probably still 200mi+ if towing. Of course ICE vehicles are chugging gas when towing. Time will tell.
Likely way to expensive for a 500 mile range model but it's a start. Well see what they are like once they actually hit the streets.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I wish I had registered the domain name
Voltswagen.com........was first registered in 2003. It was renewed April 2020 for 1 year. Registration is due April 2022. I wonder if VW owns it or will be buying it from someone.

Domain Name: VOLTSWAGEN.COM
On news tonight. This was apparently supposed be an April fuels joke
But someone leaked it (leaks on an EV?)

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Those folk who live remote from a dealership who can service the vehicle soon learn how complicated and disadvantageous that can be, and the reason why the mix of vehicles often align fairly well with service centres in their area. I think the legacy manufacturers with their dealership network will have an inherent advantage. There is not a remote chance in hell that I'd ever have a Tesla here, almost 400km from a Tesla service centre.
This is kind of presuming Tesla won't ever have a service location that's closer. Considering Tesla only made 1m vehicles up to March 2020, and will likely make close to a million vehicles this year kind of shows that their current service footprint is just getting started. You don't have to justify why you won't currently buy one, but your particular circumstances are not representative of the bulk of the car-buying market.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is kind of presuming Tesla won't ever have a service location that's closer. Considering Tesla only made 1m vehicles up to March 2020, and will likely make close to a million vehicles this year kind of shows that their current service footprint is just getting started. You don't have to justify why you won't currently buy one, but your particular circumstances are not representative of the bulk of the car-buying market.
I think Tesla is slowly rolling out service centres. They will start with major cities with a good amount of owners. For example Ottawa now has two service centres. For the cities without service centres they have the mobile ranger. Most jobs they will come to you (even at your work!!) so you don’t have to waste time going to a garage. I’ve had two minor appointments and they came to my house. They did the repairs under warranty even though one definitely wasn’t.

My friend lives next to a ranger and the ranger drove his car to the service centre for him to get the service and then brought it back.

The ranger was one of the many reasons I chose a Tesla over other EVs. I despised going to the mechanic.

Side note. I’m no fan boy or a car enthusiast but buying the Tesla has changed me to an EV punter and even a slight car enthusiast. I’ve washed my cars (even my minivan) more in one year of ownership than I’ve ever done in 20 years of car ownership. I even did a full PPF of my car. I think I also may have hit midlife crisis. Tesla ownership is a cult...kind of like the Apple cult I guess. You won’t understand until you get one.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts