Canadian Money Forum banner
341 - 355 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
The battery technology and the respective ranges will have to improve substantially before we even consider an EV. I might be interested when I can drive from Calgary to Vancouver without stopping and still have some K left in the battery.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
The battery technology and the respective ranges will have to improve substantially before we even consider an EV. I might be interested when I can drive from Calgary to Vancouver without stopping and still have some K left in the battery.
No regular ICE other than maybe a dual tank pickup or maybe a diesel Golf or simllar, can make that trip on one tank of gas either. However, for me, it would be Kelowna to Calgary (625 km or so + 100km to spare), but for an urban commuter vehicle, the Leaf serves the purpose.

·
Registered
72 Posts
PHEV's like the Rav4 prime eliminate all range issues. We've paid for 1/2 of our EV in 3 years with the gas savings, battery still gets the same range as new. Pre-conditioning via phone or remote and getting into a toasty defrosted car is itself, worth the cost :)

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
No regular ICE other than maybe a dual tank pickup or maybe a diesel Golf or simllar, can make that trip on one tank of gas either.
Yup, the older diesel golf can do Calgary to Van. I can almost do east side of Calgary to Winnipeg but I'd be running on fumes.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
PHEV's like the Rav4 prime eliminate all range issues. We've paid for 1/2 of our EV in 3 years with the gas savings, battery still gets the same range as new. Pre-conditioning via phone or remote and getting into a toasty defrosted car is itself, worth the cost :)
I pay about $30/month in gas... so there is no payback.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Driving habits drive the economics. I agree the economics are very hard to obtain for low mileage types.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We've had this discussion before.....probably in this thread alone multiple times.
Just read this on my Quora feed - couldn't resist:

"An elderly couple are having a hard time remembering things. So they go to the doctor who checks them out but the doc really can’t find anything wrong so he suggests they start writing everything down. They say okay they’ll try it and they get home and the man sits down in the easy chair and mentions he’d like a bowl of ice cream. “I’ll get it for you, dear,” his wife says. “You want to write it down?” he asks? “No, it’s just ice cream. I’ll remember.” “Well okay then,” he says, “with some chocolate syrup.” “Got it: ice cream with chocolate syrup!” “Maybe you should write it down.” “No I got it. Ice cream with chocolate syrup.” “Well I want a cherry on top, too.” “Okay!” “Sure you don’t want to write it down?” “No, I got it: ice cream with chocolate syrup with a cherry on top!” Fifteen minutes later she comes back from the kitchen and hands him a plate of bacon and eggs. He looks up questioningly and stammers, ... “Wh -- wha -- where’s my toast!?”

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Driving habits drive the economics. I agree the economics are very hard to obtain for low mileage types.
That is us. We were looking at upgrading one vehicle a few months ago. Took a look at our KMs for the past two years and decided a new vehicle made zero sense when we are quite happy with what we have. And both are trouble free.

341 - 355 of 355 Posts