Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have been driving a Volt for 3 years. Love it. Not all electric, but I put something like 70L of fuel into it in a typical year for trips that are beyond its electric range. The cost to drive on electric is about one half o ne third the cost to drive this thing on gas. On gas it gets 5.2l/100km.

So the next car will have a larger electric range and will be all electric.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
It will be depend on the evolution of battery technology. And range.

Perhaps not the next, but most likely the one after that.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Pretty sure our next car is going to be fully electric, partly due to the fact I don't see us getting a new car until another 5 to 10 years which will allow for more innovation and infrastructure investment in the mean time.
Range is a big consideration for us too because we like going on road trips. I don't see range being a significant issue for daily driving in the city. However, this Wendover video seems to suggest we're not too far off from expected range requirements so instead the issue going forward is fast charging. Charging requires inverters to convert AC to DC. Fast charging requires larger, pretty expensive inverters. And there's not enough supercharging stations which apparently would be helped with plug standardization instead of proprietary versions.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Depends on the price vs. a comparable gas car. I could accept paying an additional $5K for an EV, knowing I'll start to come out ahead on gas savings within a few years. But we're nowhere near that point.

·
Registered
21,087 Posts
My next car will be a slightly used reliable model. I would consider an EV if I can find one that's lightly used, in good shape for around 5k to 10k.

Can one buy an EV for that much?

I'm going to guess no, so I'll likely buy a gas-powered car since good ones can be found for 10k or less.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I think it's still too soon. Maybe in another 10 years.

The prices will definitely have to come down a lot before they become mainstream.

For myself, I only drive 2K a year, so no gas savings.

ltr

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've been looking for years. Just bought a car but not an EV. Hopefully the next one in 7-10 years will be. But it will depend on availability and pricing. It needs to make reasonable economic sense. I'm willing to pay a premium but not a huge one and since I don't drive a lot, we're not there yet.

The other thing is that we need more choice of larger vehicles. The current crop are great city cars but most are a little tight to take the kids on a week long vacation.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
No. I am well off, so it would be unethical to buy an EV with such huge Taxpayer subsidies when those thousands and thousands of dollars could go to better causes than my (and other rich people's) EV incentives.

It's also the norm today to vote for "your personal best interest" without consideration of others. I work in the oil industry, so it's in my personal interest to buy a regular gas vehicle, so I will.

EVs should be adopted by many young people organically without issue because climate change is their #1 concern and they will obviously be willing to spend a bit of extra money to save the planet... So there will be no need for the governments to give them someone else's money to buy themselves a car, and there will be no need for governments to coerce and extort extra production of EVs from auto manufacturers... right?

And, as James sensibly concludes above, it will make more financial and lifestyle sense to just buy a regular used gas vehicle, as always. I'll probably get a 3 year old, mid-trim, 3 row SUV with a nice reliable V6, for $25,000, for my growing family.

Edit: I would think about a regular Hybrid for sure, if it cost only marginally more, and has no moral hazard of taxpayer subsidy. Regenerative braking with a small battery makes a lot of sense to me. Energy efficiency is a good thing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been looking but the price point is not where I want it to be.
Then there is the factor of range and also the need to tow once in awhile.

I think the best option at the minute is probably the Rav 4 Plug Prime. Plug in Hybrid is you are lucky enough to get one. In the next couple of years this could be a game changer. I really believe in fuel cell technology though and think the answer lies with that rather than 100% electric production.

Also once we all shift to electric the savings will be gone. Gas tax has to come from somewhere.
There is also the anxiety issues of failing batteries and replacement costs. Perhaps long term we will own the cars but batteries will be on a lease model.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Next car will be gas, or a hybrid. I still have range anxiety. For camping and things.

Though I am considering all electric and rentals.

·
Registered
15,602 Posts
I would if I could......but I can't.

Our townhouse complex has no place to charge an EV.

I suspect most townhouses don't...either rented or owned.

I suspect that will prevent a lot of people from getting an EV.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

Yes, and this applies for a lot of people who live in a downtown area where they are actually parking on the street with a pass.

And in another way it would also be a challenge for apartment buildings to offer charging for each unit. Imagine the expensive job to run wiring to every underground parking spot and have the usage charged to each renter.

It will be a long time before gas machines go out of use.

I would never buy a hybrid myself. They're far too complex and would require increased maintenance. You have the entire system of both an EV and an ICE and then the switching between the two. I would just choose one system and be done with it.

ltr

·
Registered
7,926 Posts

I suspect most townhouses don't...either rented or owned.

I suspect that will prevent a lot of people from getting an EV.
naw, they'll get an EV, then complain that they didn't plan ahead, and it's somehow unfair.

The really big problem is the HUGE amount of electricity that they draw.
Lets say your normal home has 100 Amp service (though many are going 200 Amp now)
Adding a 40 Amp charger is a 40% increase in power demand.

Assuming a townhouse/apartment is less, we're talking 40% or more power, bigger service, bigger feeds to the buildings, it's a HUGE infrastructure increase.

Realistically I think we should almost get a "bulk" system, so we can charge vehicles, powerwalls (ie household backups) during off peak hours. But Time of Use is still in the early stages.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm torn Between Tesla Model S or one of the new Lotus Models when they come electric. Will probably get the model S.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I bought shares in VW. I am guessing they will be the leader in EVs in 5 years. By then, perhaps my shares will have increased enough to buy a small Volksevwagen ;) (VWAGY up 38% this month so far!) I would like a small basic EV for use around town. No fancy Teslas for me :) I suspect I am not alone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The F250 Tremor I've been looking at or an EV? Hmm.. yeah no EV for me until I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
21,087 Posts
The F250 Tremor I've been looking at or an EV? Hmm.. yeah no EV for me until I absolutely have to.
I'm curious, why do you need a truck like this with a 6 or 7 litre V8 engine? Is it because you haul heavy items for a living?

The tradespeople I know tend to get by with more modest trucks.

·
Registered
11,743 Posts
For many, a honking big truck is a status symbol rather than a workhorse. There are thousands of quad cab trucks here in the Okanagan which have not seen so much as a 2x4 in the truck bed. They need to be whacked with an annual registration fee in the thousands of dollars to stop the nonsense/impact on the environment.

My view is to make annual registration fees for non-commercial vehicles rise exponentially with combined fuel consumption, e.g. $100 for 7L/100km, $400 @ 8L/100km, $1600 @ 9L/100km and so forth. But that is for a different thread.

We just bought a Mazda CX-5 GT Turbo last year so we may not buy another vehicle for upwards of 10 years. I have no doubt the replacement will be an EV come 2030 or so. We felt we could not wait another 3-5 years to buy an EV at a reasonable price, reasonable range, and with superchargers properly located throughout our highway system. That's about how long it will most likely take to make the numbers close.

1 - 20 of 332 Posts