Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 596 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
No reason to. They can get RCAF or NATO air tankers. Makes no sense to move our CF-18s in Ukraine. They fly much further distances in Canada

I controlled that airspace in 2014
If Russian aircrafts were to breach the Ukrainian airspace, which F-18 would be in the best position to have for prompt interception, those based in Romania or those based in Ukraine?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
If Russian aircrafts were to breach the Ukrainian airspace, which F-18 would be in the best position to have for prompt interception, those based in Romania or those based in Ukraine?
The ones airborne in Ukraine airspace. If aircraft were to breach Ukraine airspace the last thing you want is aircrafts on land in Ukraine

Wouldn't help anything to move them from Romania.. they can just fly to Ukraine airspace in 5 minutes. They can rotate with other air patrols and refuel in the air or refuel in Romania.

Anyways they will more likely fly over the black sea. It's international waters. Nobody wants another airliner shot down

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
All those movements are just trying deterrence. It isn't about logic here, just showing you have weapons and are ready to use them. Of course it's not like 600 paratroopers or Canadian planes will slow down Russian advance for more than about 15s if they decide to attack, but it shows intent to react if time comes.
Basically showing you have a weapon to stop people from attacking you - although I guess some posters believe we should now prosecute Canadians and justify assault by Russia because Canadians have shown they have weapons?

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
You want your fighters and bombers stationed as far away as is practical.
If they're right there, they're easy to hit, but put them a few hundred miles away and they're much safer.

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
The deterrent of having some Canadian, French, UK and American troops on the ground is enough to keep Russia on their own territory. The Russian buildup likely does 2 things: 1) it gets the attention of NATO and Biden finger wagging at Putin, and 2) boosts moral for the boots on the ground in 'occupied Eastern Ukraine'. Those rebels and paid mercenaries must be getting cold and miserable this time of year. Or it may be to backstop things going wrong with the so called 'coup' supposedly planned for this coming week.

·
Registered
19,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
In my non expert opinion,

The Russians knew NATO would respond and that is what they wanted.......to create an armed standoff to create negotiations with the US.

NATO won't do anything without the US onside.

The Americans don't want another war on the other side of the world for a country most Americans can't identify on a map.

The Russians and US negotiate and Russia takes part of Ukraine and gains land and a seaport for a naval base.

The US isn't going to thermal nuclear war over Ukraine, which is the only way they could win, and Putin won't back down with nothing to show for it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Will Ukraine allow their Eastern Regions a Referendum on separation? I don't think Russia would want the whole thing but Eastern Ukraine is hungry for independence from Ukraine.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Will Ukraine allow their Eastern Regions a Referendum on separation? I don't think Russia would want the whole thing but Eastern Ukraine is hungry for independence from Ukraine.
Russia is only interested in eastern Ukraine as the autonomous part of Ukraine that would allow permanently hinder the Ukrainian desire to join EU and NATO. EU and NATO for Ukraine means stability and investment from developed countries, and prosperous Ukraine. That would obviously make average Russian to question the Kremlin on why Ukraine has higher living standards and might lead to the government change in Russia.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Russia is only interested in eastern Ukraine as the autonomous part of Ukraine that would allow permanently hinder the Ukrainian desire to join EU and NATO. EU and NATO for Ukraine means stability and investment from developed countries, and prosperous Ukraine. That would obviously make average Russian to question the Kremlin on why Ukraine has higher living standards and might lead to the government change in Russia.
ukraine economy and standard of living much lower than russia

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
ukraine economy and standard of living much lower than russia
The monthly minimum wage in Russia as of January 1, 2021 amounted to 12,792 Russian rubles, or approximately 172 U.S. dollars.
Starting January 1st 2021, the gross minimum monthly wage for a Ukrainian citizen amounts UAH 6000, and UAH 6500 from December 1st 2021, or 221 and 240 U.S. dollars respectively.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The monthly minimum wage in Russia as of January 1, 2021 amounted to 12,792 Russian rubles, or approximately 172 U.S. dollars.
Starting January 1st 2021, the gross minimum monthly wage for a Ukrainian citizen amounts UAH 6000, and UAH 6500 from December 1st 2021, or 221 and 240 U.S. dollars respectively.
Lol Just say the average wage or income. . . Not comparing minimum wage.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
President Joe Biden pledged on Friday to make it “very, very difficult” for Russia‘s Vladimir Putin to take military action in Ukraine as U.S. intelligence officials determined that Russian planning is underway for a possible military offensive that could begin as soon as early 2022.

The new intelligence finding estimates that the Russians are planning to deploy an estimated 175,000 troops and almost half of them are already deployed along various points near Ukraine’s border, according to a Biden administration official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the finding.
The Kremlin said Friday that Putin would seek binding guarantees precluding NATO’s expansion to Ukraine during the call with Biden. But Biden sought to head off the demand.

I don’t accept anyone’s red line,” Biden said.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Any hint at Ukraine joining NATO might actually end up in Russian invasion.
That was long ago seen as a red line, that was set at dissolution of USSR.
I do not see why the guarantee that was made then wouldn't be re-iterated.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sondaż: Polacy za militarnym wsparciem dla Ukrainy w przypadku ataku Rosji
Slope Font Circle Terrestrial plant Diagram

Majority of Poles 61% say that NATO should step in, if Russia continues to invade Ukraine. Only 13% said no. And 25% unsure.

·
Registered
19,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Republicans are blocking passage of bills to provide military aid to Ukraine.

It appears that Republicans won't support US involvement in Ukraine.

The likely scenario is Ukraine will become another Afghanistan for Russia.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
That was long ago seen as a red line, that was set at dissolution of USSR
When I was NATO some of the new partner nations were flying MiGs. Just checked and those MiGs are still active

All kinds of potential new NATO partners in the balkans that even write in cyrillic and fly MiGs. Ukraine still flies MiGs

Pretty sure there was a treaty about that at some point but we definitely glossed over that little detail in school

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
In east Ukraine, a web designer learns how to ambush a tank
KHARKIV, Ukraine (Reuters) - Mykola Kholtobin never expected to volunteer to fight for Ukraine, but this week he found himself crouching in a fox hole and lobbing a mock grenade into a tank as part of a training exercise to prepare for a Russian invasion.

The 32-year-old web designer joined dozens of camouflage-clad reservists in the city of Kharkiv, about 25 km (15 miles) from the Russian border, to rehearse for what might happen in the event of an attack.
Kholtobin was just a baby when the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991 and was brought up speaking Russian as his first language, like millions of others in the east of then-newly-independent Ukraine.

He consciously switched to Ukrainian in 2014 when Russia seized Ukraine's Crimea region and Russian-backed separatists launched a war with government forces in eastern Ukraine that continues to this day.

"I thought if they are using the (Russian) language as a weapon then so must I. I'd thought about it earlier but it didn’t work out. But with the beginning of the war, I 'Ukrainianised' myself," he said in an interview with Reuters.

Every third Ukrainian (33.3%) is ready to take up arms to defend the country from Russian invasion, while another 21.7% are ready to repel aggression by joining a civil resistance movement.
At the same time, male respondents are more willing to resist: 68% of them said they are, including 58% who are ready to put up arms, and 17% -- to participate in civil resistance movements. Among female respondents, 36% are ready to resist, of which 13% are ready to resist by force and 25.5% -- by participating in civil resistance actions. Respondents aged 40-59 turned out to be most willing to repel an invasion.

Russian court says country's soldiers stationed in Ukraine
A Russian court has acknowledged the country's armed forces are present in the eastern part of Ukraine. The Kremlin has persistently denied the presence of Russian forces in the Donbas region.

21 - 40 of 596 Posts