Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much it costs to get created a Will or Estate Plan in Ontario?

Do we have any templates to create ourselves?

Appreciate!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
You can buy a will kit at Staples. Not recommended, though. Wills will run you between $500-$800 per person in Ontario (including directives for property and personal care).

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I got a basic will set up in Ontario for around $250.

Probably depends on how much effort/time the lawyer has to put in to it. As a factor in how much they charge.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
So did I (around $250 for a couple). Fees seem to vary a lot across the province. Cost depends on complexity of estate, but also the local market you are in for legal fees. Shop around.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In the last year, we both did Wills, Continuing POA for Property, and POA for Personal Care for total of $420 + GST. Good chance that would be the HST as of tomorrow.

·
Banned
321 Posts
i am in the process of creating a will as well since i now need to worry about 2 little bunnies.

the problem with being an immigrant is you do not know enough people here to be signed up for guardians/trustees. the thought of something happening to us and leaving behind the kids under welfare is scary.

wonder if anyone can answer this. if my parents from overseas manage to come here and claim custody of my kids, what would the court decide, whether i want this in my will or not? since my kids are canadian citizens by birth, and even we as parents are only considered as guardians till they are 18, would the court allow my parents to take them out of the country and raise them in foreign land?

OP, excuse me for deviating...

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
wonder if anyone can answer this. if my parents from overseas manage to come here and claim custody of my kids, what would the court decide, whether i want this in my will or not? since my kids are canadian citizens by birth, and even we as parents are only considered as guardians till they are 18, would the court allow my parents to take them out of the country and raise them in foreign land?
I think if they were wards of the state, the court would look favorably on letting them help with the support. This might involve their grandparents sending payments to help with their foster home, rather than exporting them to their homeland. IANAL

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
It depends on your province of residence. However, as a general guideline, even if your will specifies a guardian for your minor children, the courts will review the suitability of that suggested guardian for your children.

Here is a relevant blog post from an Ontario lawyer. Excerpt:

Many parents, whether biological or adoptive, are surprised to learn that they do not have the right to name a permanent custodian of minor children. Ontario law gives the court a supervisory role over all custodian appointments and such appointments are based upon what the court considers to be the best interests of the child.

You should find out what the rules are for your province of residence, and generally follow the advice set out in that blog post with respect to identifying your wishes and preferences.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i am in the process of creating a will as well since i now need to worry about 2 little bunnies.

the problem with being an immigrant is you do not know enough people here to be signed up for guardians/trustees. the thought of something happening to us and leaving behind the kids under welfare is scary.

OP, excuse me for deviating...
My wife and I recently had wills made for us by a lawyer. We assigned as co-guardians my children's grandmother and aunt who live in the US (we do not have any relatives in Canada), and our lawyer did not foresee any issues with it.

Also, we assigned a trust company to be the executor and trustee of our estate if both of us should pass away at the same time.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
How does a will work if your financial situation changes? Let's say you get a will done and then:

You have new or more children?
You sell your second property, cottage, rental, etc. ?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
actually you don't need to get a new will. All you need is a codicil to the original will. This is a document amending certain articles of the original will. It's probably best to see the same lawyer. A codicil is much less expensive.

typically a codicil will recite something like "I direct that Article VIII Subsection (A) (iii) of my said Last Will and Testament be deleted in its entirety and replaced by the following:"

i would choose a codicil for something minor like deleting a subsection dealing with my country cottage, etc.

if i had named my children in the original will but a new infant had been born, or if i had got a divorce, or remarried, or if my spouse had died, etc., i would incur the fees for a new will. Although technically speaking, it should be possible to add a new child to existing child or children who are named in the original will by means of a codicil.

as far as i know, it is lawful, at least in certain provinces, to not name each child unless the inheritances of the children are going to be treated differently. When all the children will inherit equally it's possible to refer them simply as "my children in the first degree."

this could be a cost-saving approach for a young & growing family, since the parents are unlikely to pass away anyhow. No need to get a new will or codicil with the birth of each new arrival. With older testators whose children have grown up, i just think it's nice to name them by name, even if they are all going to inherit equally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts