Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I agree with not doing it as a dealer option. We took our Mazda to a shop ourselves and got the full front and mirrors done with high quality PPF. Should have considered doing the A pillars too.

I also should have done a ceramic coat at the same time as it makes it easier to wash and keep clean like a wax as well as protects against swirls and scratches. Ceramic coat goes over top the PPF too by the way (but not the other way around, i.e. cannot ceramic coat and then PPF).

My next vehicle to replace the Infiniti I sold a few months back will have front half PPF'd and entire vehicle ceramic coated. $2500+ for a high quality job for both.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
We get the full Platinum package for our new vehicle at the dealership.

It includes paint and interior protection, GAP insurance, undercoating, chip protection, tire warranty, key fob replacement, extended warranty......and more.

The dealership handles any issues that might arise and it eliminates any problems with the original warranty.

The cost was around $6,000 on an $80,000 SUV.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
That was an easy 4k profit for the stealership

Who knows what quality PPF or undercoating they use or what 3rd part providers they chose. Much better to take it for a high quality job like alta for $3k. Undercoatings is just a teenager with a garage/lift and spray gun.. few hundred bucks max. What is interior protection some floor mats and/or they wiped the dash with a product?

Extended warranties and insurance or warranties/insurance in general are a cash cow. Google it

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I have had experiences both ways, and any issues we ever had were handled promptly by the dealership.

When I bought products separately, it was nothing but old used parts, cheap replacement, or denial of the claims.

The dealership has a lot more influence with the companies they deal with....than an individual does, due to their volume of business with the vendor.

I also don't want to be arguing with the manufacturer that the "after market" service voided the new car warranty.

Yea.......I know lots of people go the "cheaper" route. They are the people complaining online.

Insurance and protection is something I am willing to pay for and hope I never have to use.

Also......if you trade in the vehicle, they rebate some of the remaining coverage cost to the next new vehicle, which in our case happens a lot.

Since 2014, we have purchased 7 new vehicles from our dealership.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
That's absolutely insane

Unless you have money to burn on $80k crappy domestic SUVs every year.. sounds like you should just lease instead of buying and burning $6k on "protection" for a vehicle you won't even keep

Vehicles are depreciating assets

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I have had experiences both ways, and any issues we ever had were handled promptly by the dealership.

When I bought products separately, it was nothing but old used parts, cheap replacement, or denial of the claims.

The dealership has a lot more influence with the companies they deal with....than an individual does, due to their volume of business with the vendor.

I also don't want to be arguing with the manufacturer that the "after market" service voided the new car warranty.

Yea.......I know lots of people go the "cheaper" route. They are the people complaining online.

Insurance and protection is something I am willing to pay for and hope I never have to use.

Also......if you trade in the vehicle, they rebate some of the remaining coverage cost to the next new vehicle, which in our case happens a lot.

You are loyal UAW person buying the from the big three autos companies. I can't picture you buying a Toyota , Honda or Kia . It's not good for climate change to be buying 7 vehicles in 7 years. It takes a lot of carbon to manufacture a Chevy in China and ship it to Canada.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
The government pays for our new vehicle.....OAS benefits. Our son pays us for the ones he uses.

All but the Chevy Trailblazer were made in Canada or North America. We bought for less than dealer cost and got high trade in values.

We don't travel, dine out much, spend much on entertainment, have any kids to raise, shop frugally, and are already retired, so new vehicles are our reward.

I don't understand why people with sufficient money want to drive around in old clunkers.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The government pays for our new vehicle.....OAS benefits. Our son pays us for the ones he uses.

All but the Chevy Trailblazer were made in Canada or North America. We bought for less than dealer cost and got high trade in values.

We don't travel, dine out much, spend much on entertainment, have any kids to raise, shop frugally, and are already retired, so new vehicles are our reward.

I don't understand why people with sufficient money want to drive around in old clunkers.
My wife and I have bought 2 different vehicles total in 12 years as a two vehicle household. Both were new purchases and we have had them both over a decade. They have been well maintained and could likely last a lot longer. During the pandemic we shifted to a one vehicle household but still own both. We have just begun serious discussion about getting a different vehicle. We don't plan to buy until the market stabilizes or are forced to do so. As such our vehicle maintenance budget has grown into a vehicle purchase fund as well. For us, we don't think it makes financial sense to get a new vehicle every year and would not do that myself. However, if you can afford to do so and it brings you joy who am I to judge. You have outlined other areas where you do not spend on things I would consider important to my spending habits. I know of a few others that trade in at least every 18 months and they love each vehicle up until the day they get the next one. They know the market well and can get a better deal than I can. We often forget the personal part of personal finance.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is Krown Rust Control worth getting done once a year on a new vehicle purchase?
My last 2 cars, 1996 Civic and 2005 CRV had Krown.
I am pretty satisfied with them. Applied when they were brand new. Re-applied after 1 yr and one more after 4 year. There are no rust for the Civic when I sold it in 2010. Right now I am still driving the CRV. There is a little rust spot at one window sill. Other than that, can't see anywhere else.

Mind you, I never take them to a car wash, only hand wash. And, I always take them for a highway drive each spring in heavy rain once to kind of wash the winter road salt under the car.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
This may be a thing in the East but I've only ever once done 'rustproofing' or 'undercoating' and that was in the '70s when all vehicles rusted out regardless (Ziebart in TO at that time). I've never used 'undercoating' since that time and typically keep vehicles over 10 years. My 2007 Infiniti had no rust at all when I sold it a few months ago.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
A local subaru dealer in my town has a 2020 Subaru Forestor Limited with 76,000 km's on it for $37,134 insane? or not?
Insane

I wonder what my STi hatch with 100k kms would go for now that it's discontinued for 2022. A colleague is flying across the country to pay $5k over MSRP for a RAV4 hybrid and was bragging about the steal

Why not just wait it out

41 - 57 of 57 Posts