Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I am curious how people selling a vehicle handle the "test drive" part of the sale ?

Do you let the buyer take it for a spin by themselves ? How do you check they have a valid license that isn't suspended or something ?

Do you go with them and let them drive ? If someone wants to take the vehicle for a test drive after dark........do you go with them ?

I have had occasion when I was selling privately and they went okay, except for one time two guys showed up and wanted to take my vintage hot rod Chevy truck for a ride by themselves.

I declined to do that, because I didn't think they had $10 between them and likely would have drove off and dumped the truck somewhere.

I am in the same situation with selling my thousands of vintage sports cards. I have too many to cart around to a local Timmies and don't really want strangers coming into my house to look at them. They could be coming to take a look around and maybe rob the house later. So I am kind of stuck on how to sell them.

Maybe I am too leery of strangers ?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don't trouble myself with these concerns. If they want a test drive I go with them and we don't travel far. I won't let one story of murder cloud my judgement. If we did we would be sleeping under our beds and be armed with handguns. If they want the vehicle they must leave me with a cash deposit or e transfer. When it comes to payment we meet at their bank and they go in and get their money order. When people show up I let my judgement and instinct take over.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
^^ Only 5% Alberta GST, so the difference in savings there isn't large.

I'm not so so worried about safety, but a little bit yes. Mostly worried about tirekickers, time wasters, scammers. I also don't know about the paperwork process of selling a car. I only know how to list it. Transferring ownership, etc, receiving the money securely, I don't know what I'm doing there and would need to look into it.

Lots of time to think about it though - Expected deliver for new van is Jan 2023. o_O

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

I'm not so so worried about safety, but a little bit yes. Mostly worried about tirekickers, time wasters, scammers. I also don't know about the paperwork process of selling a car. I only know how to list it. Transferring ownership, etc, receiving the money securely, I don't know what I'm doing there and would need to look into it.

Lots of time to think about it though - Expected deliver for new van is Jan 2023. o_O
In Alberta they have a standard on line Bill of Sale which is simple to complete. In other provinces that back side of the vehicle registration has a transfer provision to complete a sale. You get your money the buyer gets the signed Bill of Sale. Not complicated.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
In Ontario, you have to provide a safety certificate and a buyer's package that shows no liens against the vehicle.

It is also wise to go together to the license bureau to make sure the vehicle ownership is changed.

The vehicle will also require new license plates and insurance before the ownership can be changed.

In the dealerships selling new or used vehicles, they do all that before they let you take possession of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The last time I purchased as used car privately it was fairly simple. Ran (from home) the VIN through Carproof (auto club) to check on accidents and liens. Seller signed the registration transfer. Arranged insurance. Went to the registry office to effect the ownership transfer, pay the fee, and get the plates.

It was a very straightforward process.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In other provinces that back side of the vehicle registration has a transfer provision to complete a sale. You get your money the buyer gets the signed Bill of Sale. Not complicated.
Careful with that if you're selling a low value vehicle. I know someone who sold a car that way, the buyer said he'd take care of transferring registration with that signed piece of paper. Months later, police showed up. Apparently, the buyer never did the transfer and got himself a good number of tickets (parking, back then, but nowadays it could be speeding cameras too).

·
Registered
6,613 Posts

Having bought/sold used vehicles in a few foreign countries you don't need to be an engineer for this. This stuff is designed for the lowest possible common denominator

As for meeting strangers I think buying/selling used stuff takes intuition. I know some business types have found women are often great judges of character. Or imo it's because women have to constantly assess all men around them for any creepy/danger vibes and they use their intuition to do that. Now that I think of it you should apply the same rules a women would to dating - immediately reject/ignore anyone who communicates weird and meet in public not in a dark alley with no witness etc.

Personally I think I'm pretty good at judging people very quickly. I can screen out the tirekickers, time wasters and scammers just by how they communicate before we even meet. If I've decided I'm going to sell something then I've accepted someone else is going to have to test drive it. There are risks to everything and this one is pretty small if you screen people a bit. I'm not the best negotiator but I do well by making the other person's life as easy as possible and honestly telling them about any issues up front. Imagine that

I think that's why most people use Facebook market now - easier to judge a profile than say craigslist. If only we had something with a better reputation score

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
In Ontario, you have to provide a safety certificate and a buyer's package that shows no liens against the vehicle.

It is also wise to go together to the license bureau to make sure the vehicle ownership is changed.

The vehicle will also require new license plates and insurance before the ownership can be changed.

In the dealerships selling new or used vehicles, they do all that before they let you take possession of the vehicle.
A safety cert is not required to sell a vehicle. Obviously, it’s preferred, but the sale can still take place. A cert is required to get new permanent plates. I’ve sold older vehicles “as is”. Just provided the UVIP. New plates and insurance are also not required to take possession Or ownership. Taking possession/ownership and getting new plates are separate issues.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I think that's why most people use Facebook market now - easier to judge a profile than say craigslist. If only we had something with a better reputation score
I agree. As much as I dislike FB and the spammers, trolls and low lifes that frequent it, there are genuine folk on it and there is more opportunity to judge the respondents. I've sold a fair bit of stuff on FB Marketplace including a vehicle a few months ago. Easy enough to ignore those that appear to be opportunists.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I agree. As much as I dislike FB and the spammers, trolls and low lifes that frequent it, there are genuine folk on it and there is more opportunity to judge the respondents. I've sold a fair bit of stuff on FB Marketplace including a vehicle a few months ago. Easy enough to ignore those that appear to be opportunists.
I wish there was a way to do it without all my friends silently judging anything I need to off load (if you know a way I'd like to know)

I just find it annoying to see the random stuff my friends are shilling. Maybe there is a way but I rarely use FB anymore

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Join a half dozen Buy and Sell groups that show posts to group members only. It is not a total solution but the audience is less than the overall Marketplace. It helps to keep the noise level down and a bit more privacy. FWIW, I have never bought from Marketplace but I have sold stuff through private Buy and Sell groups.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I wish there was a way to do it without all my friends silently judging anything I need to off load (if you know a way I'd like to know)

I just find it annoying to see the random stuff my friends are shilling. Maybe there is a way but I rarely use FB anymore
When you post an item for sale on marketplace, there is a slide option to not show the listing to your friends.

Craig's list is a non-entity here in AB. Never heard of anyone use it. A few years ago, Kijiji was the best one, but now it's FB marketplace by far. An order of magnitude more genuine responses.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
When you post an item for sale on marketplace, there is a slide option to not show the listing to your friends.

Craig's list is a non-entity here in AB. Never heard of anyone use it. A few years ago, Kijiji was the best one, but now it's FB marketplace by far. An order of magnitude more genuine responses.
Funny, it's the complete opposite here in BC... everyone used CL for a very long time, while very few people used Kijiji. But yeah, it seems like more and more people are shifting to FB now.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts

Oh that's perfect! I really need to get listing stuff but I was procrastinating for that reason

I have a lot of random household/garage stuff to off-load before a move and didn't want to spam all my friends with so much crap when they don't live here anyways

Craigslist is more for the USA but I heard it's all about FB marketplace now. Apparently FB marketplace is even the place to find rental/tenants now

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Where's the paint cracking?

In Canada I would always put clear bra on the front end of any new vehicle. The Canadian winters are absolutely atrocious on paint. You will always get rock chips if you drive in a Canadian winter especially depending on the shape and height on the vehicle and how much the driver tailgates people. Honda CRV seems like the kind of driver who be oblivious to this issue

Paint cracking is different I wouldn't buy that

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Anyone on the forum drive a Honda CRV, I have looked at several from 2017 to 2020 and most have alot of paint chips and paint cracking. Is this a paint issue with the brand or just normal for a used CRV.
I am not certain what you mean by paint cracking...but I assume you mean what is called 'orange peeling'. Severe cases look like paint cracking while other cases are very fine forms of orange peel. It is basically poor application of paint, and especially the clear coat, by robots these days. While robots can apply paint far more evenly than any other method, if the process is not well tuned, certain paint colours and/or entire product lines can be affected. Auto manufacturers have also gotten cheap with very thin coats of each paint layer which of course robots can do.

Nothing one can do with paint cracking (which I interpret as meaning orange peeling) other than a re-paint. It has simply meant that the clear coat had been applied poorly. I can only suggest you google the issue, e.g. 'Honda CRV paint issues' and see what the specific forums say about it.

There have been a lot of paint issues with a lot of auto brands across paint colours, or sometimes just certain difficult to apply paint colours. One can google it for a wide range of vehicles. Another issue is with the environmentally friendly water based low VOC paints that have been mandated which are softer and easier to scratch as in swirls from something as simple as a car wash or hand wipe, and to chip with not much physical contact. The Mazda 'soul red crystal' paint colour is known to be particularly bad and it is the particular process that gives that particular spectacular metallic depth that makes it vulnerable to flaking. The flakes are typically pinhead in size to perhaps 2-3 mm in size. There is an entire Facebook group devoted to it.

Many folk are now applying PPF to the forward surfaces of their new vehicles now to minimize road chips (front bumpers, hoods, partial/full front quarter panels, mirrors) to lessen/minimize rock chipping and/or applying ceramic coat treatments to the entire paint surfaces to at least prevent swirls, if not chipping. Ceramic coating is not what it implies... It is really like a 5-10 year warrantied super wax job that protects the clear coat which protects the primary paint layer beneath. These shops have sprung up all over to do what should be better quality right out of the factory.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Many folk are now applying PPF to the forward surfaces of their new vehicles now to minimize road chips (front bumpers, hoods, partial/full front quarter panels, mirrors) to lessen/minimize rock chipping and/or applying ceramic coat treatments to the entire paint surfaces to at least prevent swirls, if not chipping. Ceramic coating is not what it implies... It is really like a 5-10 year warrantied super wax job that protects the clear coat which protects the primary paint layer beneath. These shops have sprung up all over to do what should be better quality right out of the factory.
Yea I'm surprised ceramic coating isn't just applied at the factory or as a factory option. Dealer options just outsource to the cheapest 3rd party in town and charge you 3x for their making a phone call

Ceramic coating sounds great and I would get if for a new vehicle (not from the dealer.. just take it to the local place yourself..) But it doesn't replace PPF. In Canada I would get the best PPF you can on any vehicle.

I have it on my hood, front bumper, front quarters and mirrors. Can't wax the paint as shiny unfortunately but it's better than getting blasted with rocks and sand during a Canadian winter

21 - 40 of 57 Posts