Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
both Jack Styner & WealthBar ignored rule #3 & both launched their own threads with markedly aggressive ads.
Jack.Styner is a more interesting case because I don't see any indication that he is a Site Sponsor. So I deleted those ads.

I don't know what's going on there. But clearly, this whole situation is going to create more work for me.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
In any case, the owners are going to make some kind of decision regarding sponsored posts appearing in threads. If it turn out not to be to your liking, I hope you can find a way to adjust your kilter, and stick around to continue posting your opinion.

not all members agree with the above. A significant number of members believe that the editorial content - so far, 100% supplied voluntarily by members - should be open to negotiation.

at issue right now are sub-topics like:

• why are the forum owners not enforcing their own rule #3, which limits vendor participation in threads to replies to existing threads; moreover this rule says that replies are to be appropriate in nature & relevant to what a cmf forum member is seeking;

• how many times can a vendor post in any one thread?

• what is the overall ratio of vendor thread posts vs spontaneous free posts contributed by non-aligned forum members? can cmf forum tolerate 10% vendor posts that are, in effect, ad thumbnails? can this forum tolerate 15%? 20%? i know that i for one would feel overwhelmed & totally discouraged by an ad ratio in discussion threads that was greater than 10-15%.

everyone should keep in mind that newcomers do not visit cmf forum to read ads. They visit here strictly to sample the wealth of financial knowledge offered by many long-term forum members. Newcomers often have finance-related issues which they hope will receive fair & balanced attention. If all goes well, they will even receive excellent suggestions.

adding raw ads to this delicate give-&-take exchange of posts requires a delicate brewmaster. From what we've seen of cmf admins, they have a good number of these knowledgeable brewmasters on staff, so i for one am confident that ways to comfortably iintegrate some vendor participation into the discussion threads can be worked out.

with respect, userkare, this is not a situation where the owners can change up the environment unilaterally, while the contributors themselves - who are the meat & bones of the operation - only get to be told Put Up or Shut Up. Surely there is a better way, the task now is to find it.

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
I don't know what's going on there. But clearly, this whole situation is going to create more work for me.
Where is the rest of the moderating team? The owners may be compromising forum quality for profits. They need to set stricter rules AND participate in 'moderating' the animal they created.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Where is the rest of the moderating team? The owners may be compromising forum quality for profits. They need to set stricter rules AND participate in 'moderating' the animal they created.
I think James is the only moderator.
I had previously considered volunteering to moderate, but have changed my mind because I don’t like the way this forum is being administered.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
^^

of course there are expenses & someone has to pay

there already is plenty of tasteful, judicious advertising in cmf forum

upthread i sought to mention how hard former cmf owner & web engineer Frugal Trader worked to format the ads into a pleasing display that would sit well with all members. He succeeded.

what we have at the present moment is a new campaign by management to inject advertisers directly into the discussion threads. It's still early days so the going is a bit rough. I for one think it could be smoothed out though. A lot depends on everyone's willingness to give-&-take. In the end, the individual posters - including the valuable posters whose material is what attracts traffic - & the advertisers all have to get along together.

a good example of skilful injection of an "advertorial" or "infomercial" thread is Young & Thrifty's paid-for thread on robo advisors up under the stickies. After i post this message i'll try to add the link. In that thread, the content was an overview survey of all or most of the robo advisors currently operating in canada, so it had value for any reader interested in the subject. The article did not try to weight any one robo over the others.

later the editor Kyle Prevost returned to cmf forum, very ethically & honestly, to explain how Young & Thrifty had received a subvention from the robo industry to research & publish the article. No one could have been more transparent than Kyle.

there were a few muted but very reasonable objections from cmf members. However, overall i believe that the Y & T thread serves as an excellent How-to role model. How to gracefully integrate a paying commercial source into the mainstream of otherwise spontaneous editorial posts coming from random individuals located all across canada.

a critical mission for the admins will be to limit the ratio of such paying participants. A few should be able to pass seamlessly, if they are as genuinely helpful as Young & Thrifty. But i feel that more than 10% paid ads in any one discussion will trigger a "yuck" reaction among the bona fide posters.

please think about this, admins, if you happen to be reading here. You don't want us to all get-up-&-go, do you?

EDIT/ADD: the Young & Thrifty sponsored thread starts here. This first writer is part of a marketing team. Editor Kyle Prevost appears in post No. 16.

http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showt...rs-in-Canada?p=1745362&viewfull=1#post1745362

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
My two cents:

*shrug* I wouldn't mind if there is a reasonable amount of sponsored advertising in the various sections. We've had authors on here promoting books in the past and it didn't adversely affect the forum.

The advertising should be better marked than it currently is.

There is no need to be rude to vendors.

We should retain the right to give our honest assessment of the offered product or service if the vendor starts an open thread.

If the ads are all in the Vendor Deals section, most of us won't see them.

IMO, this seems to be much ado about nothing. The thread created by Wealthbar was inoffensive. Outrage is unnecessary.

On the other hand, it should not have been pinned and locked, albeit temporarily.

The real intrusion into our online lives doesn't come from a few advertising threads in a forum. It comes from Google and Facebook tracking our online activity and creating a detailed profile.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts