Canadian Money Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
Well, you actually get to part of the problem. " providing the right supports for those who are drawn to it out of desperation"
This is the path to ..... massive welfare support and Universal basic income.
I'm not talking welfare or UBI here. I mean people who are doing sex work to fund addictions, etc. Supports I meant were more along the lines of assisting with getting independent housing, training, addiction treatment, etc. Not financial assistance. Your whole diatribe about prima donnas not wanting to do certain jobs is not really relevant. Or are you trying to say that people shouldn't be picky about doing sex work? I'm honestly kind of baffled. People shouldn't be 'above' working in a call centre or a rub and tug?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
But not here, so why the double standard?
It's really simple actually.

Pot was legalized for votes, there is no moral, philosophical or scientific reason, just votes.

Prostitution is banned because our political leaders are overwhelmingly sexist.
Heck here the laws are specifically designed based on being "victim centric", because people don't believe women should be permitted bodily autonomy.
If an issue garners votes isn't that democracy? If the issue was that divisive, it wouldn’t have been brought forward, or the sponsoring party would have lost. If we grant some freedoms, without alienating a large group, then I think it’s ok. Not pontificating, just asking.
a issue was put on a platform, and that party won. If it was deemed an issue by the rest of the parties, they would run on criminalizing it.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
If an issue garners votes isn't that democracy? If the issue was that divisive, it wouldn’t have been brought forward, or the sponsoring party would have lost. If we grant some freedoms, without alienating a large group, then I think it’s ok. Not pontificating, just asking.
a issue was put on a platform, and that party won. If it was deemed an issue by the rest of the parties, they would run on criminalizing it.
Well that's actually my point.
It was legalized for votes, not any "scientific" reason.

One of the problems of democracy is that it can be wrong (factually wrong), bad ideas, and most importantly it's logically inconsistent.
There is no principles or coherent philosophy in a mob.

Also it was chosen as a wedge issue, it is very divisive.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well that's actually my point.
It was legalized for votes, not any "scientific" reason.

One of the problems of democracy is that it can be wrong (factually wrong), bad ideas, and most importantly it's logically inconsistent.
There is no principles or coherent philosophy in a mob.

Also it was chosen as a wedge issue, it is very divisive.
I don’t think it was divisive. and I don’t seen it changing.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I don’t think it was divisive. and I don’t seen it changing.
I don't see how you can not see how divisive an issue it is.

But I don't see it changing either, it's not a vote getting.

Some things, as wrong as they are, aren't going to get fixed.
Banning sexual or racial discrimination for instance, everyone knows it's wrong, nobody is going to ban it.

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
Prostitution is not a crime in Canada.
If you think it is, please link to the section of the Criminal code.
Because it wouldn't withstand a charter challenge. Everything around prostitution is illegal (living off proceeds, solicitation, etc.), which makes it defacto illegal. It is obviously not a well-functioning legal market, but a black market.

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
I don't see how you can not see how divisive an issue it is.

But I don't see it changing either, it's not a vote getting.

Some things, as wrong as they are, aren't going to get fixed.
Banning sexual or racial discrimination for instance, everyone knows it's wrong, nobody is going to ban it.
Cannabis legalization enjoyed 70% support. Would you be willing to let 30% of the population dictate what laws you need to live under? I can only imagine what fun policies could be dreamed up that have 70% opposition and 30% support.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Six in ten (61%) ‘support’ (26% strongly/35% somewhat) the ‘legalization of marijuana for recreational use in Canada

we can all find stats to support our argument. This issue is a non-issue

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Six in ten (61%) ‘support’ (26% strongly/35% somewhat) the ‘legalization of marijuana for recreational use in Canada

we can all find stats to support our argument. This issue is a non-issue
Actually the stats are pretty significant.
That being said, the government should endeavour to "do the right thing".

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's right.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

“Right” is often a matter of opinion. i Disagree with a lot of laws, but I try to obey them since the majority feels they are important.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
“Right” is often a matter of opinion. i Disagree with a lot of laws, but I try to obey them since the majority feels they are important.
Not in Canada.
I feel that the laws are generally legitimate because they've come to be in a process we've agreed to.

We haven't had a government elected by a majority of the population since Mulroney.
To suggest that a majority feels they're important isn't true.

But as long as the system is believed to be fair, the vast majority of us can agree to accept it.
That's the problem with corruption.

·
Registered
13,240 Posts

That's kind of your job to convince the population it is a bad policy. It has not been a resounding success (mostly due to government bungling of legalized distribution) but legal procurement of marijuana is up front 10% to 30%. It will take time for people to move over to legal distribution. Regular usage has risen only slightly, and not at all among young adults.

The sky did not fall chicken little.

·
Registered
13,240 Posts

Should we ban pork because our Jewish and Muslim minorities disapprove? After all, bacon is harmful to your health.

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
More people die every year from being attacked by swarms of army ants than die from marijuana use.

More people suffer brain damage from cellphone use every year than from marijuana use.

More people get severely ill every year from wearing a pink bikini than from marijuana use.

So if you aren't overtaken by a swarm of army ants while wearing a pink bikini and talking on your cellphone..........you should be okay with a bit of the bud.

121 - 140 of 141 Posts