Canadian Money Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
We have clear evidence that prohibition was an utter failure. What about using evidence to guide policy on prohibition?
Okay, should we relax the prohibitions on other bad things because prohibition is hard?
To be fair, particularly in recent years they never really enforced the prohibition on marijuana anyway.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Mr.Matt would probably be surprised how many of his friends and family partake of the weed.
Depending on the subcircle it ranges from nearly 0 to 100%.
Just because I think it is a bad thing doesn't mean I'm unaware of who's using it.

It's interesting, you seem to conflate disagreement with ignorance.
Not having the facts isn't the only reason to disagree.

·
Registered
12,750 Posts
Okay, should we relax the prohibitions on other bad things because prohibition is hard?
To be fair, particularly in recent years they never really enforced the prohibition on marijuana anyway.
Sugar is also bad, and no evidence that it is good. Agreed? Should we regulate it like cocaine as well?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Sugar is also bad, and no evidence that it is good. Agreed? Should we regulate it like cocaine as well?
I do believe that's what the nanny state wants to do.

Also there is evidence that there is a safe dose of sugar. There is no such evidence to particulate matter.

Lets start there maybe.
lets ban smoking marijuana in a manner that expose others.

·
Registered
12,750 Posts
I do believe that's what the nanny state wants to do.

Also there is evidence that there is a safe dose of sugar. There is no such evidence to particulate matter.

Lets start there maybe.
lets ban smoking marijuana in a manner that expose others.
All prohibitions on second-hand smoking for tobacco apply to marijuana as well.

·
Registered
12,750 Posts
You seem to be alluding to the medical use exemption, which doesn't have anything to do with legalizing recreational marijuana.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
You seem to be alluding to the medical use exemption, which doesn't have anything to do with legalizing recreational marijuana.
No, I'm talking specifically about exposure to people without their consent.
"lets ban smoking marijuana in a manner that expose others."

"All prohibitions on second-hand smoking for tobacco apply to marijuana as well." << You made this false claim.
I provided evidence that it is not true.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
You know, we should try that with more.
Murder, we know it's not safe, Canadians are going to do it, and the government can't seem to stop it, so they should throw in the towel and legalize it. End of Story.

The idea because it's impossible, shouldn't prevent the attempt.

Marijuanna was legal, then illegal, now legal again. The argument that "it's the law" shouldn't be "end of story" is equally stupid.

We should discuss the issue on its merits and create policy accordingly.

Again, as long as I don't have to pay for your Doritos, I don't care if you smoke pot.
But we seem to be on this nanny state of irresponsible entitlement, which I find objectionable.
I am pretty sure the law against murder dramatically reduces the rate of its occurrence.

If you want to give out life sentences for Marijuana use I imagine you would have seen a decline in that as well, but I don't think anyone was going to do that so here we are. Can't stop them and without enough reason to continue they decided to legalize it. Nothing is perfect, but it was a smart move.

·
Registered
12,750 Posts
No, I'm talking specifically about exposure to people without their consent.
"lets ban smoking marijuana in a manner that expose others."

"All prohibitions on second-hand smoking for tobacco apply to marijuana as well." << You made this false claim.
I provided evidence that it is not true.
The exception seems to be for medical reasons, which has nothing to do with recreational marijuana.

That said, not sure if there is any evidence to suggest that second hand marijuana smoke is as harmful as tobacco. I find smoke objectionable as well, but you seem to be rather emotional about this. If I had my druthers loud exhausts would be banned with decibel limits on road vehicles. I find them obnoxious. They probably have more negative health effects than marijuana smoke.

Also, smoking is a big reason why I never wanted to live in a multi-unit residential building. As it stands now, I can still smell my neighbour's cigarette smoke wafting over sometimes outside.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
The exception seems to be for medical reasons, which has nothing to do with recreational marijuana.

That said, not sure if there is any evidence to suggest that second hand marijuana smoke is as harmful as tobacco. I find smoke objectionable as well, but you seem to be rather emotional about this. If I had my druthers loud exhausts would be banned with decibel limits on road vehicles. I find them obnoxious. They probably have more negative health effects than marijuana smoke.

Also, smoking is a big reason why I never wanted to live in a multi-unit residential building. As it stands now, I can still smell my neighbour's cigarette smoke wafting over sometimes outside.
Modified exhausts are prohibed under Ontario law.
I'd like to see a noise limit as well.
I'd also like it if Chrysler fixed their vehicles so that the headlights didn't turn off when you signal, but hey that's just me.

Back to pot, I shouldn't be forcibly medicated, marijuana does cause neurological changes, and that should not be applied to other people without their consent.
Secondly, I'm not aware of any research that shows a "safe dose" for airborne particulate.
As far as I know it's all dangerous, tobacco smoke just happens to put off a lot of it, but even sanding wood puts out a lot of particulate, that's why modern wood shops have a lot of filtration these days.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I dislike 2nd hand smoke when I have visitors arriving.
The hallway smells like a greenhouse.
My visitors will think my building is a druggie hideout.

·
Registered
12,750 Posts
Modified exhausts are prohibed under Ontario law.
I'd like to see a noise limit as well.
Given how common they are, I think this falls under another example of the ineffectiveness of prohibition. A lot of vehicles are exempt, such as motorcycles, or come from the factory with unnecessarily loud exhausts. Can't wait for EVs to take over.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Given how common they are, I think this falls under another example of the ineffectiveness of prohibition. A lot of vehicles are exempt, such as motorcycles, or come from the factory with unnecessarily loud exhausts. Can't wait for EVs to take over.
I think it's a lack of enforcement.
Just like illegal handguns in Toronto.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts