Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Definitely true.
The reason? I'd hazard a guess:

- Lower middle class or middle class upbringing with good quality, cheap parents. Very few poor kids with bad parents or upper middle class kids with rich parents (not prestigious enough) become teachers.

- Zero professional interaction with the private sectors of the economy where displays of success are more important. Their boss is the government and union, their clients are children. Zero reason to display any signs of wealth for professional/financial gain.

- Large pension and benefits contributions that reduce take home pay to only OK amounts (with total compensation being extremely generous).

- Very into international travel during their extended vacation periods, meaning less money for cars and restaurants.

- Have above average # of children themselves, with more spending money going towards stuff/activities for their kids.

- Extremely Liberal personalities, and less interested in participating in opulent display of financial success. May experience guilt in earning/spending too much.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I think you really do have to distinguish between teachers in the States and Canada. There's a really wide salary difference. Teachers here in Canada (and I have teachers in the family) are very well compensated, especially when it comes to summer breaks and benefits.

Likewise, the teachers I know are anything but frugal, though I guess it depends on standards. The teachers in my frugal family are the least frugal of the family. But they're also the most frugal of the teachers outside of the family.

I imagine teachers in the States might be less frugal than 'poor'.
I didn't even know that you could bring treads that are 10 years old. This is the oldest I have seen in a long.

Just like any other profession, there are frugal teachers and non frugal teachers.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Teaching, particularly for those who are good at it, is a calling. The reward comes through the "flow" (concept from Mihaly C). Most teachers do not find ostentatious displays of wealth or wasteful spending rewarding. I think that is an enviable position to be in.

I don't know why that is not true for doctors, lawyers, businessmen, etc. Perhaps teachers are more selfless.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would definitely not describe my sister as frugal and what i don't understand is why a couple who are both teachers need to run a line of credit when they don't have to save for retirement. Still i wouldn't want to be a teacher durin covid 19. It sounds like a real mess.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts