Canadian Money Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Every homeowner I know owns their water heater.

Renters don't want to lug around a water heater everywhere they go, and landlords don't want to deal with old water heaters left behind by tenants.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Then why does the landlord provide HVAC and other major appliances except hot water tank? No other region has hot water tank rental fees in the electricity bill. I have colleagues across the US and not even southern americans are that financially inept

Also doesn't explain why car insurance, electricity, healthcare and everything else appears to be managed by a domestic brand stealership bailed out by the government to build SUVs locally in China, Ontario designed domestically in Korea, Ontario

Ontario has a major corruption problem? Is it the dual education system? Is one for the privileged enlightened class and the other for depraved heathens? Maybe Alberta and Quebec were on to something with the separation idea
I doubt most landlords supply HVAC, unless it is newer apartment builders. Our landlord doesn't supply AC and they own 1200 townhouses and apartment units.

The guy who installs and removes our window AC units every year has a busy full time business from customers in rental buildings.

The rest of your post is laughable. Ontario is the beating heart of Canada and contains most of the headquarters for financial institutions and corporations.

Travel around Saskatchewan and tell me what they got. Financially illiterate Ontario...........LOL.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
We rent our hot water heater from Reliance. It cost $20.79 a month. We have been here for 15 years and this is our 2nd tank.

The landlord requires we rent the water heater, but is not involved in which company we rent it from.

I think the first one lasted about 10 years before it was replaced. It cost an average of $200 a year so......$2,000.

The second water heater is 5 years old and we pay a little more..........$250 a year so..........$1250.

Versus rental fees of $3250 over 15 years we would have had to pay for 2 water heaters installed, so I don't see much savings in ownership there.

We will likely need another new one in 5 years or so, so that would be another cost.

We might get longer life out of the water heater with a water softener, but that would come at an initial cost and the ongoing cost of salt.

A water softener would also need replacement or maintenance sooner or later.

I see no compelling financial reason for ownership.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
If the people in the article had invested the money they would have spent on a hot water tank 28 years ago.........what would that be worth today ?

What if the original tank didn't last 28 years and they had to buy a 2nd or 3rd one ?

What if they had bought $1000 worth of bitcoins for 8 cents each and sold at $68,000 per coin.

Wowza !

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
If those homeowners invested the money they didn't spend on a water heater into the S&P index, the return would have been......significantly more than the $4000 in rental fees.

If you invested $100 in the S&P 500 at the beginning of 1994, you would have about $1,498.37 at the end of 2022, assuming you reinvested all dividends. This is a return on investment of 1,398.37%, or 10.03% per year.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
A hot water tank isn't going to save me any money.

GAP, theft, or major repair insurance on our vehicle could save us tens of thousands of dollars.

I hope we never have to use the insurance........but hope is a poor financial plan.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
As I posted.....most landlords don't supply HVAC unless it is new buildings, because they don't supply the AC part of HVAC .......duh !

MS3 still hasn't answered the question why tenants would want to lug a heater tank around with them everywhere they move, or why landlords would want tenants to lug in an old heater tank when they move in and leave it when they move out. I doubt the next tenant wants to inherit a 25 year old hot water tank ?

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Yup......we get a guy to install, remove and service our 3 window air conditioners. He puts them in securely and with plexiglass filling in the glass space.

Our neighbour installed his own units. He just had surgery for a double hernia yesterday......don't know if it is related but it could be.

Our guy says he is getting too old to be lugging the air conditioners up and down stairs, so he brings a young guy with him to do the heavy lifting.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Since renters have no choice in the matter, it looks like it could affect 70% of the population who are home owners.

Over 50% of people aged 24-35 are renters, and 46% of all renters live in Toronto, so it affects that age group in that location the most.

The rental cost about $15 a month 15 years ago and has risen to $20 a month today. We had a replacement and are on our second tank in 15 years.

I don't think it is that big a deal. I would rather the government focus on vehicle insurance premiums and telecommunication bills.

The cost of hot water heater rental is insignificant compared to the overall cost of renting in urban Ontario, even in a rent controlled unit.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Our landlord owns 1200 rental units and requires the rental of the hot water heater.

Our unit is an all brick townhouse in a nice, mature area and our courtyard backs onto a 1 acre park full of trees.

It is also rent controlled and we pay $1180 a month plus hydro for a 3 bedroom/3 bathroom unit, which is $1,000 below market rents.

Our rent provides free membership to a private resident's club with indoor and outdoor swimming pools,. a fully equipped gym, sauna, and meeting room.

The landlord allowed us to renovate the unit at our cost, and build a platform deck on the front of our unit. (not attached to the brick)

We aren't going to moving anytime soon to save $20 a month on a hot water tank.

Don't worry.........when you arrive in Ontario you will learn all about market rents and the financial advantage of rent controlled units.

The cost of a hot water rental will be the least of your concerns.

Our landlord has a long waiting list for units in our small complex.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
m3s.......I suspect you are going to suffer from price sticker shock in a move to Ontario.

Wait until you see the cost of insurance, municipal taxes, condo fees, rents,.......or a home suitable to own....for the better part of a million dollars.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Ontario is flat ?

That is news to me who has several times spent 2 full days driving the hills and valleys of Northern Ontario just to get to Manitoba.

The landscape is breathtakingly beautiful along Lake Superior......but hills and valleys, rocks and water, hills and valleys, rocks and water, hills and valleys.

It was a welcome reprieve when I got to the "flat" plains of Saskatchewan. The golden wheat swaying in the breeze is so relaxing I always stop for a bit.

The area around Terrace Bay is gorgeous. Stop in for a day on your way to Ontario !

People should stop complaining and appreciate the remarkable country we call home......from coast to coast to coast.

In 10 more days we celebrate Canada Day.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
I have never been to Vancouver, although I have been "out west" numerous times to my wife's family farm in Saskatchewan, and then on to Alberta.

Vancouver looks like an incredibly beautiful place to live, and my wife has family scattered across the west, from Saskatchewan to Vancouver Island.

One of her cousin's owned a beautiful heritage property right on the ocean in West Vancouver, and we had invitations to visit and never did unfortunately.

Another of her cousins carved the totem poles that stand in Stanley Park in Vancouver. He was a famous local artist, who has since passed away.

My wife has been to Peggy's Cove in NS.........a trip I still want to make and then on to PEI and NFLD.

There are so many places in Canada to see that will fill out our travel plans for a long time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.