Canadian Money Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
You're telling me $800k home builders are eking out a living on water tank rentals? Why don't they rent out the HVAC, toilets and everything else?

The original questions still stands. Why are Ontarians the only ones who fall for this sham?

This article is from 4 years ago.. rates have gone up with inflation now

You can buy your dream home, but hot water heater only for rent
They also offer HVAC rentals and service contracts.
I assume the water heater contractors pay a small kickback.

You miss a LOT of details if you don't have a good agent, and many new home buyers don't have agents.
For example AC was an add on to my spec home.

Payback on water heater is just a few years, FYI my rental died/needed repairs at 11 years, that's when I chose to replace it.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
How does the water tank rental company make a profit?
Buying and installing a water heater RETAIL is less than 4 years in rental fees.
most water heaters last 15-20 years in Ontario (From memory from an annual report from consumers waterheaters back in the early 2000's)
That's how they make a profit.

No doubt ... I bet most that rent HW tanks live "pay check to pay check" or they have no idea how to cost something out over time.
Nope, it's something people don't even think about it.
It's normal, and when some plumber comes by saying "Give me $2k to save you $30/month", they dismiss it, or they call the water heater company and hear about penalties.

FYI the penalties end at about 7 years, well after they've already made a good profit on the water heater.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Some people just don't want the burden of shopping for a water heater and then shop for a contractor to install it. And some of them already know they are paying a premium for their peace-of-mind. It's like life insurance or travel insurance.
My plumber will buy, deliver, install, remove and return, all for one convenient fee.
He didn't even charge a markup for the purchase of the water heater.

They did want an extra $50 for delivery fees, which is less than the rental company charges for pickup

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
What do you call a HVAC mechanic?
Rob, because that's his name.

Honestly If it isn't making heat I ask for a furnace guy, if it ins't making cold (air) I ask for an AC guy. or I just might ask for an HVAC guy.

Why don't tenants rent HVAC then sags? Why don't tenants lug their HVAC everywhere they move sags?
Typically HVAC is the installed system, but Reliance rents those too.

Portable AC units are just that, portable units.
Some people buy them, but if you're sufficiently bad at math, you can rent them for

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
My original question was why do so many Ontarians rent hot water tanks but not HVAC systems?
History, they've done it that way, so they keep doing it that way.

The option to rent furnaces is there, but most new builds include a furnace (but oddly not AC)

Cold water pump? Most houses don't have one.
If you mean sump pump, at $100 to buy I don't think they're worth the paperwork.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
We made the contract conditional on them paying out the rental on the furnace so that it would be owned by us. But in the end we couldn't agree on price so I can't say how it would have worked out.
Yeah, that's the right call.

if it's an unknowable cost, dump it on the seller.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
There is more to Ontario than Toronto. Ontario is bigger than Germany.
I honestly think it would be good to split off Toronto as it's own province.
It is really different. That's one of the reasons they are run under different laws than other municipalities (ie the City of Toronto Act)

They also think that any concern of the city of Toronto is automatically a Provincial/national concern, because they're so important to the proper functioning of the province/country.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.