Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which company, or companies, will be the eventual winners in the covid 19 vaccine race? Some big-name drug firm? Second-tier player.? A dark horse? Any comments.....? Me....I haven't a clue, but I'd guess it will involve a big pharma name...but which one I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I regret to say I think an effective vaccine will never come.

Wow, so many positive results I've seen have given me hope. Many are in the stage 3 and have actually started making the vaccine so that they'll be ready when the approval comes. You don't get to phase 3 if the first two phases are a failure.

ltr

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Chinese team has made impressive progress with its inactivated viral COVID vaccine. In a paper published in Science on May 6, the team reported that their candidate vaccine had “induced SARS-CoV-2-specific neutralizing antibodies in mice, rats and non-human primates.” It also “provided partial or complete protection in macaques” against deliberate infection with the virus. On June 13 Sinovac posted initial results for a Phase 1/2 trial involving several hundred people: 90% of the volunteers tested positive for protective antibodies. The company may now rush straight to Phase 3 trials.

Because BCG already has a decades-long history of safe use as a vaccine, trials to see whether it is effective against COVID have gone straight to Phase 3. Trials are currently underway among 10,000 frontline health workers in Australia, run by Murdoch Children’s Research Institute, and in the Netherlands among a further 1,500 health workers.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Have a look at the photo of a lab tech holding a vial labeled Covid-19 vaccine in this article. (Note: I am not so gullible as to believe that this is THE vaccine - likely some kind of trial). It appears UPenn and VRC (on label) are both
active in race to develop one. Perhaps they will make the first trial. Dr Fauci said that "it is not a matter of if, but when", a vaccine will produced in the US. Moderna is one Company experimenting with the mRNA vaccine. the stock price has 3X in 6 months. My guess is that all those brains in Cambridge, MA will lead the way to some kind of vaccine. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
There are lots of candidate vaccines being tested. Not sure what the news is, here.

It's worth saying that we have never developed an effective vaccine for any coronavirus that has been put into widespread use. It is not a foregone conclusion that one will be developed at all, nevermind in record time. Or its effectiveness/longevity might be underwhelming.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
There are several vaccines already producing antibodies in humans, seems to work...lets see if it kills the host.

·
Registered
317 Posts
They are racing to get the vaccine before the virus fades. The laws have been passed so big pharma cant be held responsible for side effects of a vaccine. DANGER DANGER This will not be your average flue shot. If they make it mandatory to take the vaccine the wise will fight till death.

·
Registered
317 Posts
They won't need to fight till death - just wait until you get COVID19.

ltr
The government is more deadly then any virus. Governments could even set of nukes & the new miracle cure covid would save the world from deaths of nukes. The death certificates would read covid cause of death

1 - 20 of 26 Posts