Canadian Money Forum banner

461 - 467 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
How the Supreme Court Dropped the Ball on the Right to Protest
Over the years, courts have carefully updated our speech protections while mostly ignoring the freedom of assembly. Now they may have a chance to change that.
By Kia Rahnama
August 17, 2020

‘The Court Has Refused to Fashion Concrete Legal Standards About the Rights of Protesters’
FAIR - CounterSpin
Host Janine Jackson interviews Kia Rahnama
September 11, 2020
Transcript:
(.MP3 Format)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I thought that this article was quite interesting as to how the government is monitoring the protests.

How the Police Use AI to Track and Identify You

While protestors marched through the city demanding justice for George Floyd and an end to police brutality, Minneapolis police trained surveillance tools to identify them. With just hours to sift through thousands of CCTV camera feeds and other dragnet data streams, the police turned to a range of automated systems for help, reaching for information collected by automated license plate readers, CCTV-video analysis software, open-source geolocation tools, and Clearview AI’s controversial facial recognition system. High above the city, an unarmed Predator drone flew in circles, outfitted with a specialized camera first pioneered by the police in Baltimore that is capable of identifying individuals from 10,000 feet in the air, providing real-time surveillance of protestors across the city.

By Bryan McMahon
October 03, 2020

·
Registered
17,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
How the Police Use AI to Track and Identify You
This has been going on for some time. Just like the Chinese are doing, police in US & Canada have cameras set up all over public demonstrations, and record faces of people who come close. I try to stay away from ALL public demonstrations, and if I have to go close to them, I turn my head away from the event so that my back is facing police... my best attempt at avoiding being recorded.

The problem is where that data goes. We don't exactly know, but as I understand it, the data is retained for the longer term. My guess is that people who are identified as protesters end up in government or national security databases and are then tracked. This could have life-long consequences, nothing to do with the specific protest that was occurring.

There's a long history of this of course. The RCMP was actively spying on students and youth protesters for decades (1950s, 1960s, 1970s). Cops have always hated protesters and demonstrations. Remember, the RCMP (intelligence agency) even had a file on Rob Rae from his early days.

Many young people have been adapting to this by wearing masks at protests (long before COVID). Unfortunately the young people probably aren't aware that digital recording methods have superior ways to identify them. An example would be "gait analysis" which can help identify someone even if their face is obscured.

We're truly in 1984 type of territory here (Big Brother is watching you) and it's never been seen before in history. All of these tech tools will be used to suppress dissent and legitimate protest for the next 50+ years.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Facial recognition from a drone 10 thousand feet in the air is quite surprising to me. I was quite aware of the other technologies, but surveillance that recognizes an individual from such a distance is chilling.

·
Registered
17,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
I previously worked as a consultant for the government. This is when I learned about some of the things the government is up to.

I quit that job due to ethical concerns about how the government and police are leveraging tech to violate civil liberties and democratic principles.

As a result I walked away from a 200K salary + bonuses that would have probably made me a very rich man in 10 years.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Trump just walked away from "Stimulus" talks.
Says no action til after election.
There is presently a riot on Wall Street and will soon be on Main Street.

461 - 467 of 467 Posts