Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bloomberg: Mayor of Portland Tear Gassed By Federal Agents : "Portland, Ore. (AP) -- The mayor of Portland, Oregon, was tear gassed by the U.S. government late Wednesday as he stood at a fence guarding a federal courthouse during another night of protest against the presence of federal agents sent by President Donald Trump to quell unrest in the city."

~~~

I find this rather disturbing, as someone with close ties to Portland. Trump's White House has sent federal police, even when the city and state have said the forces are not welcome and should be withdrawn.

This is a direct assault on his political enemies. Trump himself said he would be sending his federal forces into regions controlled by Democrats, and he's prepared a list of cities to launch assaults on. Maybe next, Trump will have the state governor shot? Or perhaps his next move will be to shoot the chief prosecutor of the state of Oregon, perhaps using some of those non-lethal, skull fracturing munitions.

This is one of the worst abuses of federal authority I have ever seen. This is a direct attack on the city, to intimidate and suppress dissidents. Right out of the playbook of a third world dictatorship. And we're not talking verbal or rhetorical attack. Trump has sent in specialized troops to "rough up" the city, and score political points with the far right base.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trump's strategy here is absolutely classic: whipping up fear, and positioning himself as the strong man who can protect you. A great way to distract attention from his mismanagement of COVID-19 (an absolute catastrophe with a huge death toll). He's actually trolling the city: he initiates conflict, and then spins the footage of the resulting conflict for his own political benefit.

As Trump Pushes Into Portland, His Campaign Ads Turn Darker
The Trump campaign is spending millions on ads that promote a dark and exaggerated portrayal of Democratic-led cities, a tactic that reinforces his “law and order’’ campaign message.​
As President Trump deploys federal agents to Portland, Ore., and threatens to dispatch more to other cities, his re-election campaign is spending millions of dollars on several ominous television ads that promote fear and dovetail with his political message of “law and order.”​
The influx of agents in Portland has led to scenes of confrontations and chaos that Mr. Trump and his White House aides have pointed to as they try to burnish a false narrative about Democratic elected officials allowing dangerous protesters to create widespread bedlam.​

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The funny thing about his campaign message is that he is presenting himself as the only one to prevent/stop this from happening. However, it is happening on his watch right now. It's not some theoretical scenario. I'm not sure highlighting one's incompetence is the way to go, but Trump's different.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Why do police have multicam for domestic law enforcement anyway? They look like mismatched wannabee airsofters cosplaying as rogue special forces drop outs.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Why do police have multicam for domestic law enforcement anyway? They look like mismatched wannabee airsofters cosplaying as rogue special forces drop outs.

Those aren't the normal police are they? I get the impression they are the "federal" forces, who probably were given multi-cam. IIRC when they first showed up, they weren't wearing matching uniforms, just a mishmash of clothing.

Another photo with article about deployment. Portland officials decry aggressive tactics of federal agents in their city

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
James, why are protestors trying to destroy the courthouse?
Why is the city/state not protecting government property?

There is a serious problem as the US cities and states are stepping back from their responsibilities, leaving a lawless void.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts

Exactly this. It seems like power fantasy by people who missed their chance.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
James, why are protestors trying to destroy the courthouse?
Why is the city/state not protecting government property?

There is a serious problem as the US cities and states are stepping back from their responsibilities, leaving a lawless void.
The solution is an unaccountable secret police that disappears people off the street without due process?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The Dump's way of MAGA ... or more like sending the present USA to being the Un-united States of America ... into hell.

It's going to be a sad future for the average American if the Dump's version of MAGA continues as if the pandemic crisis ain't enough.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The solution is an unaccountable secret police that disappears people off the street without due process?
Of course not.
Do you have any evidence to support that is happening?

Specifically evidence on any of.
1. Unaccountable
2. Secret Police
3. Disappears
4. Due process.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Looks like some Americans approve

President Trump and likely Democratic nominee Joe Biden are now running neck-and-neck in Rasmussen Reports’ weekly White House Watch survey.

The latest national telephone and online survey finds Biden at 47% support among Likely U.S. Voters again this week to Trump’s 45%. Five percent (5%) prefer some other candidate. Four percent (4%) are undecided.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
All you've done james4beach is post on a topic that I'm sure you know will just bring the Trump supporters on this forum out to bash you and praise Trump. Why bother?

I think we have more than enough to deal with here in Canada without spending more time on the problems in the USA. I also think we give far too much coverage on Canadian news programs to the USA while not even mentioning things of importance that are going on in Canada.

This morning I was watching CTV news Toronto which gave plenty of time to Portland and Chicago while giving zero time to the Federal Court of canada decision that the 'safe third country' agreement was unconstitutional.

Should that not be more important to Canadians and our news media than something happening in the USA?

·
Registered
714 Posts
This introduction of Federal Authorities into Portland is only a beginning.
There are many millions angry unemployed.
Martial Law will be introduced immediately after the November presidential election. The anger is so huge on the streets that the Capitalist System itself is under direct threat.
Congress is going to cut unemployment benefits by 50% this week.
The protesters remember the 2 trillion dollar tax cut given to the Upper Class and they also remember the trillion dollar military budget.
I notice that other members within these forums mention or ask why the Canadian media would highlight the Portland protests as opposed to the safe third country' agreement being found unconstitutional?
I have noticed that what happens in America arrives in Canada within 5 years or less.
We are going to be smothered with law and order propaganda within Canadian media as our ruling class prepare for placing the military on our streets. Canadian media will use all excuses to mention law and order rather than to talk about the inequalities within the Capitalist System.
I follow American news more so than Canadian news/trends because it is like being a futurist. Canada is the 51st American State. Americans own at least 75% of Canada or more. Canada does not fart without permission from America.

I should also mention that there is huge censorship happening on-line via U.S. tech companies and social networks. This is why these internet firms were allowed to remain private and not subject to FAA regulations.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
This is why these internet firms were allowed to remain private and not subject to FAA regulations.
The FAA regulates aviation in the US. I agree there is a void of regulation online but online companies would just flock to cyprus or panama etc

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
This introduction of Federal Authorities into Portland is only a beginning.
There are many millions angry unemployed.
Martial Law will be introduced immediately after the November presidential election. The anger is so huge on the streets that the Capitalist System itself is under direct threat.
Congress is going to cut unemployment benefits by 50% this week.
The protesters remember the 2 trillion dollar tax cut given to the Upper Class and they also remember the trillion dollar military budget.
I notice that other members within these forums mention or ask why the Canadian media would highlight the Portland protests as opposed to the safe third country' agreement being found unconstitutional?
I have noticed that what happens in America arrives in Canada within 5 years or less.
We are going to be smothered with law and order propaganda within Canadian media as our ruling class prepare for placing the military on our streets. Canadian media will use all excuses to mention law and order rather than to talk about the inequalities within the Capitalist System.
I follow American news more so than Canadian news/trends because it is like being a futurist. Canada is the 51st American State. Americans own at least 75% of Canada or more. Canada does not fart without permission from America.

I should also mention that there is huge censorship happening on-line via U.S. tech companies and social networks. This is why these internet firms were allowed to remain private and not subject to FAA regulations.
So the Democrats and Republicans are secretly working together for this?
Trump "invades" by deploying police to protect Federal Buildings,
Democrats lock down states to drive high unemployement
Trump will Declare Martial law
Democrats will cut Unemployment

Seems like a lot of cooperation.
I think the simpler answer is that the people and the politicians are all a bunchof idiots who don't know what they're doing.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The two political parties just play a game of musical chairs in order to give the illusion of a functioning democracy.
They claim to have different "Dreams" but read the policy platforms.
Was there ever a war or weapons system that Biden voted against?
What has Trump accomplished that was different than those before him? At the same time (this year) that Trump was talking "Buy America" he was buying all his hotel furniture and glassware (8 tons) from China.
Like all those before him ..... Trump talks about his "dreams" but the policies are identical to his opponents.
America is a corporation not a country.
China did not take American factories and jobs. U.S. capitalists begged China to take the factories and jobs and even financed the "theft".
The two political parties enjoy different "Dreams" but employ the same policies.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is a problem everyone should be worried about.

When we allow the labelling of ANTIFA and anti-government folks on the right as "terrorists" we enable this type of state power and force over its own people. Terrorists don't have rights, or any reason needed to be detained nor rights/ability to defend themselves.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
This is a problem everyone should be worried about.

When we allow the labelling of ANTIFA and anti-government folks on the right as "terrorists" we enable this type of state power and force over its own people. Terrorists don't have rights, or any reason needed to be detained nor rights/ability to defend themselves.
Sorry, but ANTIFA is a terrorist group. Look at the definition of terrorism.
"the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

This is nuts, we have government leaders interfering with law enforcement and openly supporting domestic terrorists.

The problem is that people are making up allegations of stuff without evidence.
Is there any documentation of these secret police disappearing people?
No, even the infamous clip, the police is clearly identified, with ID. Also several experts have suggested it looks more like they're extracting an undercover officer than actually arresting someone.

1 - 20 of 260 Posts