Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer to buy solid dividend stocks witha history og growing dividends over time.

I'm interested in hearing about what dividend stocks anyone on the board would recommend /buy at this time.

Canadian stocks ....as well as US stocks and International stocks
Etf's as well.

You don't get the dividend tax credit with dividends outside of Canada,,,but their diversification value can't be overlooked.

Any thoughts, names or lists, which we can discuss here would be appreciated.

Anthony

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
I have several on my watch list, just for my dividend portfolio when the price is right:

BCE
CU
TRP
REI.UN
BMO
CU

I've been thinking of setting up a drip with REI.UN in my TFSA. 3% discount on dripping share price, I believe.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You guys speak an entirely different language... I need to learn this stuff... badly. :eek:

Can I just buy CDZ and have my dividend investments covered?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i might be interested in Valener, but only if an options market develops.

gaz metro announced earlier this week it's converting to a corporation called valener that will hold the majority interest in the gaz metro gas & energy distribution partnership, which will continue to exist. This triangular sidestep will permit gaz to top up the projected dividend to 1.00, which it promises to maintain for the next 3 years. (it's not unusual for gas transmission businesses to make these kinds of long-term commitments, because the businesses are based upon long-term contracts.)

a $1 dividend will yield about 6% on today's price which is still based on the obsolete trust unit. Option sales would push the return higher than 8%, although there would be a delay before the montreal exchange would accept a new listing for option trading. If i were considering just buying for what is a 6% dividend today, i'd wait to buy until trading in the new shares stabilizes, because there is likely to be confusion that could lower the price further.

a kicker is gaz' participation as partner together with boralex in the huge seigneurie de beaupré wind farm being built on the north shore of the st-lawrence river. Boralex, a spinoff from cascades paper, has wind farms in france plus a network of gas co-gen stations across quebec & northern new england, as well as some in ontario. The entire hydroelectric output from the 2 beaupré wind farms has been pre-sold to hydro-quebec.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Been watching JNJ and LMT on the NYSE.

I guess it depends upon your current positions as to what anyone might be currently watching to add and/or if you are looking to add in your RRSP/TFSA or non registered account.

I would like to add some TD personally, but am not interested in it at its current price.

I read BMO is discontinuing their 2% discount later this year.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
Been watching JNJ and LMT on the NYSE.

I guess it depends upon your current positions as to what anyone might be currently watching to add and/or if you are looking to add in your RRSP/TFSA or non registered account.

I would like to add some TD personally, but am not interested in it at its current price.

I read BMO is discontinuing their 2% discount later this year.
BNN was saying the TD might be the first big 5 to raise dividend early next year.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Watching so many of the telcos, defense, finance and consumer goods. I've limited myself to my registered accts so it's a matter of having the cash available at the right time

Bought BCE after the dip when they announced Wind mobile. Also hold TEF and SJR and I will try to add others

Owned LMT but it tripped my stop limit in May. I'd like to own it again but I'm anticipating more bad news for the F35/F22 to get in. Bought GD to switch it up but there are several defense stocks I watch

Wish I owned all the cdn banks last year but I only caught BNS on the way up

I could use some medical and consumer goods such as JNJ, PFE, UN, PG, KO

Also hold dividend payers such as AAH, EXC, TM, SC, HSE, SU but only time will tell

·
Banned
424 Posts
I am holding a lot of Canadian Dividend Aristocrats. Looking to add CCL.B on a price dip. Dividend growth, low beta, want more small and mid caps. It would improve the Riskgrade rating of my portfolio.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hi:

Outside all the usual suspects, give consideration to Methanex, currently yielding 2.5%. Had it for years and it is currently my largest holding on account I bought more during the panic. Must admit I am thinking of converting 1000 MX into 400 JNJ.

hboy43

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Of the banks I would favor TD and BNS. BMO and CM have lower growth prospects and will take longer to raise their dividends. RY needs to juice their trading results before they will raise divs. Agree with TRP, BCE, also Enbridge. Don't bother with dividend ETF's. There are only 20-30 CDn div stocks you would consider anyway so why pay .5% away in fees for diversification?

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies so far to this thread I started yesterday.

It's great to be able to have some intelligent discourse on here.

I feel the canadian banks are a bit pricey right now, and perhaps the entire canadian market might be in for a slight pull back, so I'm kind of waiting.

In the US I already own JNJ, PFE, T, VZ, LLY, EXC, HCBK, VOD and several more.

All are divivend payers..

I have been looking at LMT too as another poster suggested.
I like CINF, and CB, and ABT, but all three made a run over the last month , ( which I missed by being too hesitant ), so again I'm waiting for a pull back

Its a lesson hard learned,,,,when you get your price on something you are happy to own , after doing your research, you should buy it, rather than waiting for the price to go lower, which might never happen.

Anyway I am looking at BCE, CPG, SU, in Canada.

Also , on the assumption tht you should buy whats unloved, and what everyone is selling , I am going to buy some Europe big value, dividend ETF.

Anthony

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
If you are a long term investor, the price going in isn't that important.
hmm...where have I heard that before? :rolleyes:

Make no mistake, your entry price is very important.
Your entry price is your risk tolerance.
Compare the stuff you may have bought during 2006 - 2007 against the stuff you may have bought between 2008 and early 2009 and tell me which one makes you sleep/feel better :)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Here are the so-called 'dividend darlings' from page 47 of the September/October MoneySense magazine with their yields:

TransAlta (TA) 5.46%
Sun Life Financial (SLF) 5.00%
CIBC (CM) 4.92%
TELUS (T) 4.89%
Husky Energy (HSE) 4.67%
Bank of Montreal (BMO) 4.47%
TransCanada (TRP) 4.37%
Shaw Communications (SJR.B) 4.33%
Power Corp. of Canada (POW) 4.30%
National Bank of Canada (NA) 4.16%
Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS) 3.81%
Fortis (FTS) 3.81%

Consider these for a great core for a dividend portfolio but you should round it out with stocks from other sectors according to MoneySense

Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts