Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Most people use XRR as a better measuring stick of performance. I think the important thing to take from the thread is that investing in large cap dividend stocks for the long term (20-30 years) has provided, and likely will, provided a nice return for investors. Of the companies posted in the thread not a single company came as a surprise to me. I believe even the average non investor would have heard of most of the names.

·
Registered
104 Posts
CTC.A bought 22 years ago at 18.15 now 192.10
When I bought it, CT stores were always packed and busy places. Lately, I've been thinking of selling it. The stores have gone downhill; few people seem to be there; the store is messy. It reminds me of Zellers just before it went out of business.
My impression of CT as well. I know some of the business has moved online, but seriously, they seem to hire really poor employees. And they sell more and more stuff of junky quality.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
ENB for me. First dividend paying stock 13 years ago, it will be 14 years ago in December 2022. Bought a few others since then :)

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
^ I had owned ENF at one point and it got merged to ENB. Can't recall what I did after that - think I sold it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
FTS, BCE & TRP in 2009. held for 13 years. dripping all of these and others.
BCE avg cost $34.90 (pd 25), TRP avg cost $37.43., FTS avg cost $28.60,
and RY (my fav) in 2012 avg cost is $78.30, and 53% of a TFSA! (not much diversification here!)
I made alot of mistakes before then switching in and out of funds. Finally figured it out. Buy it and forget it.

·
Registered
24,280 Posts
Morningstar is a good resource to look up a stock, and it shows long term "total return" annualized performance, including dividends as well.

Here are the 15 year returns of some of the stocks mentioned earlier (annualized)

6.37% BCE
6.70% TRP
7.88% FTS
8.39% TD
10.55% ENB

All of the above have beaten the TSX index in that time period. And the Portfolio Visualizer shows that the return of this bunch since 1996 has been a whopping 13.55% annually.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts