Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And is still holding.

Example: ENB held for 27 years, paid about $3.75/share, now worth about $59.99/share.

Btw, this example is not applicable to me as haven't learned to invest in the stock market yet. This is more of a curiosity question and may belong to the "Investing" section than this "Individual" stocks section. But then this is to your chance to show-case your beloved-stock(s) here.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I worked for Great-West Life for 35 years. They had a stock purchase plan that started in 1991 which I joined immediately. Best investment decision I ever made. I left the company in 2005. I still hold all of my stock which has an ACB of $8.14. At today's trading price, I have an unrealized cap gain of ~ $550,000. The dividends are 1/3 more than my pension, so I'll be keeping those shares for the rest of my life.

So to answer you question, I've had GWO stock for over 30 years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
RY for nearly 11 years, annual returns at 14.5%, including DRIPS (synthetic).
BCE, BNS for nearly 10, annual returns at 11.4% and 12.1% including DRIPS (synthetic).

These were my first purchases when I got rid of my mutual funds and went to dividend growth with the motto "I can lose my money just as well as someone I pay to lose it for me."

·
Registered
341 Posts
RY for nearly 11 years, annual returns at 14.5%, including DRIPS (synthetic).
BCE, BNS for nearly 10, annual returns at 11.4% and 12.1% including DRIPS (synthetic).

These were my first purchases when I got rid of my mutual funds and went to dividend growth with the motto "I can lose my money just as well as someone I pay to lose it for me."
What am I missing here? 10 year returns on the above stocks, including dividend reinvesting, are quoted at about half what you say. If I am missing that much maybe I should change my investing style.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I guess my first 2 stocks were Nova Scotia Power (Emera) and BMO, with BCE close behind.
EMA held for 22 years, paid $12.10 now worth $64.72.
BMO held for 22 years, paid $43.80 now worth $146.69. (stock split a year after I bought it)
BCE held for 22 years, paid $54.80 now worth $73.76.

For all the above they are being DRIPed, so their actual worth is much more than just the change in price.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wait a sec....Join date of 2011, and over 8K posts (average of over 2 posts here per day for 10 years), yet ^^^ this????? ^^^

Beav, you got some 'splainin' to do.....
... LOL ... it's correct that I joined in 2011 when investing (primarily stocks) only started to perk me. And I only joined this site via a friend's recommendation.

So as for the 8K+ posts, not learning how to make money, I post mostly in the non-investment sections (Other/General Discussions) which can be more than twice a day, LOL!!! That's because I don't make money a priority.

This thread was done only in hope of assisting someone else. Namely, this poster whom I don't know personally.

tfsa $6000

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thing the Beav is a big mutual fund holder......
... used to but moved away from that. Still have some legacy mutual funds that I'm okay with. Now holding mostly small-cap stocks (eg. AQN, RSI (my favourite!), WEF, etc.), a couple of sector ETFs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
... LOL ... it's correct that I joined in 2011 when investing (primarily stocks) only started to perk me. And I only joined this site via a friend's recommendation.

So as for the 8K+ posts, not learning how to make money, I post mostly in the non-investment sections (Other/General Discussions) which can be more than twice a day, LOL!!! That's because I don't make money a priority.

This thread was done only in hope of assisting someone else. Namely, this poster whom I don't know personally.

tfsa $6000
lol...just giving you a hard time :-D

·
Registered
55 Posts
What am I missing here? 10 year returns on the above stocks, including dividend reinvesting, are quoted at about half what you say. If I am missing that much maybe I should change my investing style.
Those numbers are using XIRR in excel (I've got all my transactions recorded). So it includes price appreciation on my original purchases, and also includes the occasional share sales and additional purchases, DRIPs (and growth on DRIPped shares, and any portion of the dividends which was not DRIPped (i.e. cash taken out of the investment). Actual timeframe is about 10.6 years for RY, and 9.something for the other two, but close enough to what I posted above.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It did not pay a dividend 27 years ago, but MX had been in the portfolio continuously since the first 600 shares at $8.25 IIRC. Bought and sold on numerous occasions to rebalance and take advantage of opportunities over the years, but always held some through the years. SNC has been out of the portfolio a few months on occasion, but it goes back a year or 3 longer than MX (again IIRC) since first buying 4500 at around $3 or $4, adjusted for splits.

·
Registered
800 Posts
CTC.A bought 22 years ago at 18.15 now 192.10
When I bought it, CT stores were always packed and busy places. Lately, I've been thinking of selling it. The stores have gone downhill; few people seem to be there; the store is messy. It reminds me of Zellers just before it went out of business.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts