Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12,440 Posts
Not houses. One bedroom apartments. It sounds to me like secondary markets, and highly distressed owners.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
No, I’m a buy and hold investor I admit...however my stocks are margined so I can access the profits to buy other stuff Without triggering the capital gains. Had I done that I would have lost out on more money as its up to 4.82 today.

are you sure you won’t drink away your “profits” and sell the wine instead? Two years is a long time...no pun intended.
Hard to drink the profits when the wine is warehoused in NYC.

Now that places including restaurants are starting to open up, I may seem some movement on wine prices quite soon and sell sooner than in 2 years.

As per a new thread I started under General Discussion, I have just changed cars and as an offshoot of that process I have also been looking at Classic Cars. I've owned several and always sold for more than I paid. That's another form of direct investment most people don't consider.

It takes some research to gain knowledge just like anything else but it occurs to me that right now, some people who are having some financial difficulties may be looking to raise some capital by selling their Classic Car. I've seen some listings that look interesting in the last few weeks but the buying process during Covid is somewhat off putting for trying to do it safely. You cannot easily buy 'sight unseen' or 'contact free'.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
They are just listings that come up on mls, most are foreclosures. My realtor sends me all the listings as they are posted.
They certainly do come up. I lost out on a 3BR townhouse a couple months ago. It eventually sold for 71K. Complex exteriors are all being redone, looks quite nice. Rents for 1200/mo.

·
Registered
16,729 Posts
They certainly do come up. I lost out on a 3BR townhouse a couple months ago. It eventually sold for 71K. Complex exteriors are all being redone, looks quite nice. Rents for 1200/mo.
Just curious, do you guys have this much cash sitting around that you can buy a 70K property, then buy another 60K one, and another (maybe approaching a quarter million $ total cost)...

And then you're also paying cash to fix up things that are broken, plus the various taxes, condo association fees, on multiple properties at once?

·
Registered
12,440 Posts
You just need financing. It's not hard, I have access to enough LOC borrowing to buy a few $70k properties, if needed. Of course, you should also be able to get a mortgage.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
It does get much tougher to get financing hen you get into double digits in number of units, but basically you refinance them and get your money back, even where I buy, the average price of a one bedroom is higher than 45k, so getting all your money back isn’t that hard. Then you just rinse and repeat. renovations don’t cost that much if you develop a system, I can redo any interior for 5k in materials, that includes kitchen cupboards.

condo fees, taxes, etc. come out of the rent for the most part, the two I bought already have renters lined up at $850/month. Fees and taxes only amount to around $300, leaving $550 for financing of the 45k and profit. Can you afford not to do it?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Just curious, do you guys have this much cash sitting around that you can buy a 70K property, then buy another 60K one, and another (maybe approaching a quarter million $ total cost)...

And then you're also paying cash to fix up things that are broken, plus the various taxes, condo association fees, on multiple properties at once?
We had enough on a HELOC to buy it outright and pay cash for the renos. Then once reno'd, rented and the complex exterior redone, mortgage it as JAG does. Prior sales were in the 110-130K range, so even at 80% LTV the mortgage money would've covered the HELOC and renos with a bit to spare. Even setting aside $200-250 a month for maintenance and repairs, it was going to cash flow something like 400 or 500 a month.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts