Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am interested in making a lump sum $10,000 purchase of a broad based global ETF - when would be the best time to buy during the calendar year. I would like to make monthly purchases throughout the year but this ETF has high commissions as it trades in europe. I remember readings some stats on when is the best time to buy but cannot find the articles.

Please advise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I don't know. If this is going into an RRSP then you should do it now, so you will get a nice refund cheque from CRA in 6 months when you do your 2010 taxes.

If your TFSA isn't maxed out, why not put the money in that account? An additional $5K in contribution room will be available to you after January 1.

As for when to buy an ETF or any other investment, besides what I've written above it's all a crapshoot. Just do it when you're ready unless the news tells you we are in a depression or something.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Generally speaking, the earlier the better but I also believe in the adage of buying during periods of maximum pessimism and selling during times of maximum euphoria.

Most unsuccessful investors get that backwards!!

However, that said, I am a buy-and-holder rather than a market timer. :cool:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hello,

I am interested in making a lump sum $10,000 purchase of a broad based global ETF - when would be the best time to buy during the calendar year. I would like to make monthly purchases throughout the year but this ETF has high commissions as it trades in europe. I remember readings some stats on when is the best time to buy but cannot find the articles.

Please advise.

Thanks!
Hope this helps.. Seasonal Charts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
curious here.

what is the name of this european beauty whose performance is so fabulous that it justifies paying those high commish, for a totl 10k investment.

after all, an etf is an etf. Surely there's a way to replicate this europe thing using US etfs.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Buy when it snows, sell when it goes.
http://www.thestar.com/article/878902--buy-when-it-snows-sell-when-it-goes

an interesting article:
According to his figures, an investor who started with $10,000 in 1977 and invested it in the S&P/TSX index for only the “good” six months would have grown it to more than $176,00 by 2010. Investing only for the other six months would have produced a loss of about $3,700.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Hello,

Please advise.

Thanks!
10k is harly a lump sum, no point trying to time the market with this.

Euro is pretty much in the drain right now with all the worries about Irish and Portugal... I suggest you simply buy as soon as possible and keep it for the long run.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
You are asking us to give you advice on how to time the market.

Easy! Wait for the crash and then buy. If it does not crash, then buy right away. (Yogi Berra paraphrased)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts