Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dr William Davis, MD, author of "Wheat Belly" responded to the Wall Street Journal's report of a new proposed classification of the various forms of gluten sensitivity.

This short letter is a great introduction to the idea of a wheat-free lifestyle, for those who are new to the concept. Is it another passing fad? ... not if what people are saying about going wheat-free is true.

Snip from the letter:
2) The amylopectin A of wheat is the underlying explanation for why two slices of whole wheat bread raise blood sugar higher than 6 teaspoons of table sugar or many candy bars. It is unique and highly digestible by the enzyme amylase. Incredibly, the high glycemic index of whole wheat is simply ignored, despite being listed at the top of all tables of glycemic index.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/02/my-letter-to-the-wall-street-journal-its-more-than-gluten/

Dr Davis, MD

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
book review from Reader's Loft blogspot

Snip:
There were a few things that William Davis mentions in his book but doesn't really explore. The first is that more women than men appear to be affected by celiac disease and gluten intolerance. I have always wondered why. He also can't explain why some people have no problem with wheat. They maintain a healthy, slim figure and can eat wheat with no reactions. It is not a negative against Dr. Davis, but I think there is plenty of room for additional research.
http://readersloft.blogspot.com/2012/02/wheat-belly.html

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Everything is bad for you these days...

sugar is bad for you,
milk is bad for you
gluten is bad for you,
processed foods are bad for you (too many carciogenic additives)
meat (other than non hormone laced..raised in the mountains of Tibet) is bad for you
sugar drinks are bad for you
alcoholic drinks are bad for you
sex is bad for you (various diseases)
city air is bad for you
tap water is bad for you
dust/mold is bad for you
some cheeses are bad for you
fruit veggies(other than expensive certified organic by a monk at the source) are bad for you
canned foods (soups that have too much salt)..bad for you..heart attacks.

all kinds of gov't taxes are bad for you
too many credit cards are bad for you

Gee..will the human race survive eating just wheat grass slurry...we might as well just give up and stop eating and drinking..then we can live for a long long time..and Harper will have to raise the old age pensions to at least 75! :D

·
Banned
946 Posts
As a diabetic (type 2) since 1998, I have been eating a very low-carbohydrate diet for the last ten years. Then four years ago I was diagnosed with celiac disease, so that restricted my diet even more. I follow a book called "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" written by a type 1 diabetic doctor (Richard K. Bernstein), an endocrinolist who practices in New York. (Note he is NOT the Dr. Bernstein who operates diet clinics throughout Canada.) I limit my carbohydrates to 30 grams a day and eat no bread or wheat products, potatoes, rice, sugar, or sweet and starchy vegetables. By following Dr. Bernstein's recommendations, I keep my blood glucose levels perfectly normal and my health has improved in many other unexpected ways. I'm never tempted to cheat because I feel so much better, and I wouldn't go back to "normal" eating even if I could.

I can eat any meat or fish; eggs; most dairy products, with the exception of milk because it's very high in lactose (a sugar); low-carb vegetables such as salad greens, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, spinach, cabbage, and turnips. I bake with almond meal or coconut meal and make a delicious cheese cake using almond meal instead of the usual graham wafer crust. Dr. Bernstein advocates banning fruit as well because of the fructose, but I do eat small amounts of berries as they are low in carbs.

Many of my friends are astounded at the amount of fat I eat - about 70% of my caloric intake is from fats, including saturated fat. I go through between 2 and 3 liters of whipping cream every week, and after 10 years of this, I weigh about 125 pounds. I just had my cholestrol checked last week and it's excellent - better than when I started this diet. Dr. Bernstein believes it is carbohydrates, not dietery fat, that makes us gain weight and drives up our cholesterol, and my experience certainly supports that idea.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The biggest screw-up ever perpetrated on the western diet was the 'saturated fat causes heart disease' scam. The medical/dietary profession have a lot to answer for.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I've tried switching to a low/no carb diet before but it's very difficult to stick to, it was like going on a hunger strike. There's a decent explanation of how we get fat on this infographic someone made just a few weeks ago: http://i.imgur.com/Odwx8.jpg

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
If it's like going on a hunger strike, you aren't eating enough fat and protein. You can't just reduce carbs without adding more from the other macronutrient groups.

·
Banned
946 Posts
I can't help but wonder why the nutritionists and dieticians who continue to advocate a low-fat diet don't seem to notice that the less fat people eat, the more the incidence of obesity, diabetes, and heart attacks increases.

For a really good discussion of this topic, read Gary Taubes' book "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It" or Google his article from the New York Times called "What If It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?"

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The thing I notice is that if I avoid carbs (cereal, OJ, toast...etc) just have bacon & eggs for breakfast, I almost forget about lunch. Of course, there's my Happy Hour (wine) and ice cream after dinner. That's when I fall off the lo-carb wagon.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I bake with almond meal or coconut meal and make a delicious cheese cake using almond meal instead of the usual graham wafer crust. Dr. Bernstein advocates banning fruit as well because of the fructose, but I do eat small amounts of berries as they are low in carbs.
My "health nut" friiend has informed me that coconut oil is very good for
you as long as it's organic. To which I replied" but coconuts grow on trees
so why isn't that organic in the way they grow? Oh..if it's not organic,
you can have pesticides or herbicides in the oil..he replies>
Ok then!

[/quote]
Many of my friends are astounded at the amount of fat I eat - about 70% of my caloric intake is from fats, including saturated fat. I go through between 2 and 3 liters of whipping cream every week, and after 10 years of this, I weigh about 125 pounds. I just had my cholestrol checked last week and it's excellent - better than when I started this diet. Dr. Bernstein believes it is carbohydrates, not dietery fat, that makes us gain weight and drives up our carbohydrates, and my experience certainly supports that idea.[/QUOTE]

Thats a LOT of whipping cream..but it all depends on your metabolism and
what ails you. In my case my blood acid level is very high..so I got to
eat more akaline based foods and stay away from acid foods and alcohol
of any type as well as fried foods.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Lacking in carbs, protein or fats will all make you feel bad. I find a ratio of 40%, 40%, 20% makes me feel pretty balanced. But then it's all where you get your nutrients.

Deep fried is bad fat. Nuts, fish, meat, etc., are good fats. Avoid trans fats like the plague. Fats keep you sane.
Protein is protein for the most part. Makes you feel full.
Carbs are tricky. Fruit is along the lines of sugar, such as oranges. Whole wheat, grains, rice, whole grains, etc. are the way to go for carbs.

A sure fire way to gain lots of weight is to go on an extreme low carb diet, and after a few months of wanting to kill everything in your path, and no energy, most people will binge and gain more than they lost.

·
Banned
946 Posts
I agree with only one thing you've said, jcgd, and that is that trans fats should be avoided. The rest of your comments are your opinion only, and are not substantiated by facts.

For example, it is absolutely untrue that an extremely low-carb diet will cause you to gain weight. I lost over 30 pounds within three months of starting my low-carb diet, and I have kept it off for ten years with no effort whatsoever. Whether you think a low-carb diet is good for us or not, nobody who has read the studies denies that restricting carbs is the easiest way to lose weight. About two years ago, even the American Diabetic Association changed their tune and announced a change to their guidelines; they now approve carb restriction as an effective way to lose weight.

My endocrinologist was absolutely delighted the first time I saw him. He asked how I managed to keep my blood sugars normal with no insulin and no medications. I told him about my diet and he made two very supportive comments. He said: (1) "Any doctor who doesn't know that this is the way all diabetics should be eating has their head buried in the sand." and (2) "If every diabetic ate the way you do, it would go a long way toward resolving the financial crisis in the Canadian medical system.

You are also wrong in claiming that a low-carb diet will cause us to lack energy and to "want to kill everything in [our] path." As I stated in my last post, I feel so much better in countless ways since I've been eating this way. Most of us have become accustomed to getting our energy from carbohydrates, but our bodies can adjust very quickly to getting our energy from fats. I believe that people who don't adjust well to a low-carb diet or can't stay on it, are not eating enough fat. I think it was Steve who said in an earlier post that if he has a low-carb, high-fat breakfast, he doesn't feel hungry for many hours, and that is typical. That happens because carbs digest very quickly, leaving our bodies craving more food, while fats slow down the digestive system.

I'm not suggesting that non-diabetics have to go to the extremes that I do in restricting carbs (I stay under 40 grams of carbs a day), but I think it's fair to say that most people would feel better and live healthier lives if they cut way back on them. The worst possible way to eat is to combine a high fat and a high carb diet. That is what will make you obese, raise your cholesterol, and probably lead to a heart attack, to say nothing of making you want to "kill everthing in your path."

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I'm hungry now. :D
I'm hitting the fridge....lets see it's 1am...broccoli (high akaline food)..naw!
I've been eating broccoli for the last 3 days...I want to scream!..ah yes!..
I scream. (no natural born cereal killer instinct..yet )..ice scream.....yes! :D

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
:D :D :D

I made my own ice cream using artificial sweetener and whipping cream instead of milk - you'd like it a lot better than what's in your fridge!
Yes, I have the similuated icecream product called Nestle Parlour.

here's what's in it in order of quantity:
modified milk product (why do you need to modify milk?)
sugar (now bad for you)
milk ingredients (the other part of the modified milk?)
butterscotch ripple (I will assume the butterscotch flavoured gum here)
water, glucose-fructose, brown sugar, hydrogenated soy bean oil, salt,
pectin, carmel colour, potassium sorbate, citric acid, glucose,
coconut oil, mono and di-glycierides, propylene glycol, monosterate,
cellulose gum, carob bean gum, carageenan, artificial flavour,colour
and may contain peanuts, tree nuts,
...and maybe any rats that have
fallen into the ice cream vat, cockroaches/and or crickets added for flavour.

Nutrition facts: (per 1/2cup / 125ml serving)
Calories : 120
Fat Saturated and trans fats 15%
Cholesterol 20mg
Sodium: 65mg (3%)
Carbohydrates: 7%
Sugars: 16g
Protein 1g
vitamins or minerals 0%

And on the lid they advertise;
Source of calcium
No artificial colours

Manufactured under license (North York) from Nestle USA.

Not only is there very little dairy product in this chemical concoction..
but they don't even read their own ingredients listed in fine print
artificial flavour, colour....uh huh!

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
.And on the lid they advertise;
Source of calcium
No artificial colours
Manufactured under license (North York) from Nestle USA.

Not only is there very little dairy product in this chemical concoction..but they don't even read their own ingredients listed in fine print
artificial flavour, colour....uh huh!
... oh no, better check the 2 unopened tubs called Heavenly Hash and Maple Walnut in my freezer ... how can one possibly go wrong with these flavours of ice-cream and take the time to read the microscopic fine prints? :eek:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
:D :D :D

I made my own ice cream using artificial sweetener and whipping cream instead of milk - you'd like it a lot better than what's in your fridge!
Would you be able to either post or pm the recipe to me. I have been changing my lifestyle and diet too because I am at a high risk for diabetes.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
If it's like going on a hunger strike, you aren't eating enough fat and protein. You can't just reduce carbs without adding more from the other macronutrient groups.
But that's the main reason for going on these fad diets M.G. ..you just reduce
everything and live off wheat grass slurry..mmmmm..in a few days you
will be as grouchy as Wiaraton Willie when he was yanked out of his hole
to prognosticate ..early spring? He should have just told them ,.."all right
ya rotters!..disturb my sleep will ya! well it's 12 more weeks of winter for
you then!

You can't just switch from a normal diet to one of these fad diets and expect
that your body will adjust..it takes time for everything to balance out.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts