Canadian Money Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
If it's too good to be true... I want in on it!

Early on, I turned down some excellent deals because A) They looked "too good to be true" and B) I didn't understand them.

Now I don't automatically turn down good deals. I look into them and analyze them first. Usually they turn out to be duds but once in a while you score.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Live below your means, you don't need that 40k car or that 5,000 sq foot home ( I shoulda taken my own advice on that last one.) I would be morgatge free at the moment if we had not "moved up". Now to mention my property tax bill doubled, as well as my utilities and of course all the new furniture, toys etc to fill the space.

I greatly overestimated the need for future space as our 3 kids would get older. We went from a 1800 square foot house to one just under 5k and we don't really use 1/2 the house. Not to mention we now have dedicated rooms that we never had before that just were not needed. IE) I have my own home office (but it's 3x the size as the one in my old house and I don't need that much space.) My wife has her own private home office as well and she works as a police officer so she obviously does not need her own home office. Oh yea, we now have a "formal dining room" that is decorated nicely but gets used 2x a year (Xmas and thanksgiving) becasue our kitchen table is big enough to seat 8 comfortably.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Live below your means, you don't need that 40k car or that 5,000 sq foot home ( I shoulda taken my own advice on that last one.) I would be morgatge free at the moment if we had not "moved up". Now to mention my property tax bill doubled, as well as my utilities and of course all the new furniture, toys etc to fill the space.

I greatly overestimated the need for future space as our 3 kids would get older. We went from a 1800 square foot house to one just under 5k and we don't really use 1/2 the house.
Agreed with you about upsizing too much much. If the extra is not rented out there is a sunk cost BUT it could be a happy problem if you caught the RE uptrend and your hood is a popular one!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
With eat-in kitchen "great" rooms, LR and DR become "glance rooms". People glance into them on their way to the kitchen.

We have them here in PV. Never eat in the DR. Never entertain in the LR. Always on the patio.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
When I had been in sales, I started acting like a sales manager. When an opening came up, I was the obvious choice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am joining this thread a tad late.

In my situation my advice would be to learn about investing early, then continue learning.

I am still solvent even though I had many prophets of doom suggest I would be otherwise by now.
Glad to be back with you ALL.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts