Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one has me stumped. The fundamentals compare favorably to any other energy companies -- fairly low debt, 1.6 times book value, reasonable P/E ratios and cash flow. On top of that it pays a 4.4% dividend, has a foot in China and is partly owned by Li Ka-shing, one of the most brilliant billionaires on the planet.

Despite all that, it is trading at pretty close to the level it was at during the crash. I was scooping up shares at what I thought to be a bargain (probably average price of $29-$30) late last winter but so far - no cigar. I would probably even be adding shares at this point, if this already didn't occupy a fairly significant position in my portfolio. I've heard many experts asked about this company on BNN, but the best they can come up with are vague responses. I'm going to be patient and hang on for the long run, but in the meantime; Does anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Going into the strong season for oil I would be a buyer here and would be looking to exit in a few months time. I would not want to hold anything long term with this sovereign debt crisis lurking around which could give nice boosts to the US dollar.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is one of those buy during the Feb./March low and sell in a few months for a 10%+ gain type of oil stocks. I don't know the specific fundamentals but at least you're buying at the right time of year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I recently bought Husky and Suncor just because they haven't took off since March like everything else

I'll watch for this fast 10% gain; swing trading seems be the way to go in this market

·
Registered
43 Posts
Husky the unloved.

Does anyone have any insight?
I've been a long time holder of Husky both personally and for my clients (3+ years) and have recently been accumulating more.

Like all the integrated players they have had issues with their refining operations (but you've seen the same margin compression from all the major players in Canada and the US) and there have been questions surrounding what they will be doing with their Chinese operations. The company has put out there that they might be spinning that off division but haven't provided much more info on that in the last 9-12 months.

I think that people are just staying away because of the uncertainty right now but at the end of the day, like you said, based on any metric you look at (P/B, P/E, P/S, P/CF, etc ...) this the cheapest stock in the energy space right now.

I'm very happy to take that 4.5% yield, reinvest my dividends, and wait for better days.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My cursory look suggests that this is a historically strong company, with decent fundamental ratios at the current price, and a nice yield. I would say that it's just a bit too expensive to fit into my Graham screens, so I'm going to sit on the sidelines on this one until it pulls back a bit. (Though, if I were to buy it right now, I wouldn't be unhappy.)

That said, without having looked at the annual report, I do not know anything about the company's proven/expected reserves (which are really key for businesses in this market segment), or how "clean" the balance sheet is.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I recently bought Husky and Suncor just because they haven't took off since March like everything else

I'll watch for this fast 10% gain; swing trading seems be the way to go in this market
Yup, just take a look at a chart of the big oil companies over the past 5+ years. Buy in the Feb./March low and sell in a few months is easy money. I don't see it changing this year.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Aside from the market not liking refiners, Husky recently bought a bunch of service stations that became available from the Suncor / Petro Canada deal. According to some pundits, the market thinks even less of the retail side of selling gas than it does of the refining side.

It does look inviting for a swing at this level though there is lots of resistance close by...

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
What do you guys think about the latest earnings report?
Profit is down significantly, even with higher oil prices.
It was partly expected because they had deliberately scaled back production, but ended up over correcting.

What do you guys think of their plans to acquire nat. gas properties?

The stock price has suffered a lot recently even with higher crude oil prices.
It's trading at $25 now, well below the $27 - $28 from this spring.

Does it still appear to be a promising company being ignored by the investors?

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I'm in at $25.05, only for 40 shares though.
What would you value the stock at?
Latest analyst reports are continuing to value the stock at or above $30.
I personally disagree, and apparently the market disagrees too.
There's also no sign of any recent insider activity or any institutional activity.
My average position has been $26 and change.
I wondering whether to continue holding or cash out.
Given their recent loss of production, this stock may continue to languish for years.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i recall posting on this thread when it started up with a flurry of positive messages re husky several months ago. I was fairly negative. Why get involved with CNOOC. Li ka shing is an old man now, very old indeed, and i've never been a business fan of his son. For a 2nd tier, intermediate sized energy i said i was going for crescent point.

i'd say the same thing today.

i also have interests in cnq, talisman, ensign, trican, arc energy & fort chicago. Of these, talisman is another ho-hum (like husky) & i'm thinking to lever down towards out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
In TDW's Morning Action Notes for July 30th they post two pages of information on Husky that you may want to check out.

among much more data and info...

Oil & Gas Producers
Recommendation: BUY
Unchanged
Risk: HIGH
12-Month Target Price: C$35.00
Unchanged
12-Month Total Return: 35.4%

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
When you can collect a fat dividend why sell at these prices.
I see more upside that down.
+1

I'm kind of surprised that the price of oil hasn't sky rocketed considering the BP fiasco

In the past, any oil-related disaster sent the price of barrels through the roof

Only furthers my belief that the price of oil is carefully controlled and manipulated (isn't it convenient that BP had a disaster? btw) and therefore a fairly safe investment

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
this stock has lost more than 8% since this thread opened in february, 5 months ago. There was a gap down last week of a dollar or more.

usually not a good idea to hold a 4.5% dividend yield while share price ratchets down by close to the double.

it's the hookup with cnooc that bothers me. Decisions are not being made in the heart of the chinesenationaloveseasoilcorporation in any way that is transparent to western eyes. Plus hse doesn't seem to have solved downstream refinery probs yet.

all this being said, i hafta admit that short-term charts are looking good, but only short-term.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
+1
and therefore a fairly safe investment
You mean oil, not BP, right?

It may not have gone up yet, but can oil go anywhere but up considering the massive BP disaster? The incident has resulted in further global regulations & delay of deepwater drilling; delays in turn, will reduce production so I feel comfortable with oil shares, just not BP, though I was tempted to buy at $28.

Take a look at the picture in link below? As we say, 'a picture speaks a thousand words'. Hmmm, is China really changing from a cycling to a car nation? Car sales there have increased this year by more than 50% and there are still 2 quarters of the year left! I wonder how much oil consumption this translates into and no wonder China Petroleum is buying so many of the world's oil resources, including ours! And this is only China, then there is giant Brazil and India.......

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the-50-million-car-market-china’s-boom-will-last-more-than-20-years-experts-predict/

Any thoughts on GM's upcoming IPO? Sorry OP for being a bit off-topic.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts