Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ontario released its plan yesterday and it’s being highly criticized. The govt has asked each school board to submit their plans for 3 scenarios. 100% in person, 100% online, or a mix. They’re treating it to the similar regional re-opening. They’ve also said that ultimately, the parent can decide whether or not to send a child to school.

receiving a lot of criticism for a vague plan, synchronous learning (teachers do NOT want to be on camera).

a lot of opinions, but I’d don’t see ANY discussion of what the general public wants to see.

Are there any specific plans in your area? I know some provinces went back to school to finish the year already.

·
Registered
31 Posts
"the parent can decide" - that's too easy to say. The "school" could have been like "the whole world" for someone. Removing the school from life would mean removing the whole world. Good luck making the correct decisions.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Close the schools down let the parents & the private sector figure it out. Government is never efficient @ anything & will promote its propaganda. Parents & the private sector would do a better job for a lot less money.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I think, lone wolf, that is what will happen.

Here in BC, government has no plan to reopen schools. I think classroom instruction is gone forever, just like international travel, eating in restaurants, etc. In time, all that will pass from our collective memory.

Perhaps another purpose can be found for school buildings. Maybe Amazon distribution centres or some such. I thing personal shopping will become more and more frowned upon and will die out. For example, no one will buy food at a grocery store in person.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think, lone wolf, that is what will happen.

Here in BC, government has no plan to reopen schools. I think classroom instruction is gone forever, just like international travel, eating in restaurants, etc. In time, all that will pass from our collective memory.

Perhaps another purpose can be found for school buildings. Maybe Amazon distribution centres or some such. I thing personal shopping will become more and more frowned upon and will die out. For example, no one will buy food at a grocery store in person.
I thought schools already reopened in BC?

it does appear BC has plans for Sept...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Well, if you look at the fine print, high school kids were offered one day a week. Not exactly a grand re-opening. I tried to copy and paste the letter we got from the school board, but they are clever and it cannot be copied.

A June 25 letter we received from the school board says September remains an open question and "our goal is to have even more students in class in September, as long as it is safe to do so...". Yippee! Maybe a 1.5 days a week!

By then, as even most here on CMF predict, a 'new wave' of C-19 will have rolled in by then, if not the first wave of C-20. So I'll stick with my prediction that we'll never again see classes remotely resembling what went before.

Not that it much matters. There will be a very much circumscribed job market in the future. The economy won't look the same. Going to school to get educated for the job market is now an outmoded concept.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Adult School

I know a person who owns a business in Downtown Toronto.
They rent an office area and deliver a 3 course lecture and then conduct a government approved exam and then Certification. Have been in business 7 years.

Since the virus, all lectures are now done by Zoom.
Has kind of abandoned the downtown office.

5 years ago I had created an e-Learning module for the business. But this Zoom puts e-learning to shame. e-Learning is so old and ancient now.

Seems that Adults love Zoom. No travel.
Not so much the kids.

BCE - Before Christ

AD - After Death

AV - After Virus

·
Registered
17,640 Posts
By then, as even most here on CMF predict, a 'new wave' of C-19 will have rolled in by then, if not the first wave of C-20. So I'll stick with my prediction that we'll never again see classes remotely resembling what went before.
Classes may look somewhat normal in a year or two. This pandemic won't last forever.

This whole thing is an acute situation.

Not that it much matters. There will be a very much circumscribed job market in the future. The economy won't look the same. Going to school to get educated for the job market is now an outmoded concept.
I think this is due to automation and computerization, not coronavirus. The virus just accelerated some trends that were already happening, such as the move to electronic shopping and deliveries.

All of these things (collapse of brick & mortar stores and traditional retail) was already happening. Factory jobs have already pretty much all disappeared.

In the oil patch, the large companies like Suncor were already aggressively automating away jobs to eliminate the need for workers. This happened before oil got wiped out and COVID hit.

These are long term trends, and the virus just happened to push things along the same direction. So for example, JC Penny was going to go bankrupt anyway.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Things change rapidly. I don't think anyone knows what to expect. There are no clear answers.

In QC, schools in the greater Montreal area never opened. Some schools in remote regions of QC did open to finish the year and we haven't heard anything negative from the outcome.

From what I am hearing, classes will be resuming in September while respecting social distancing rules. Nothing has been set out yet. Its complicated when you start comparing grade school, high school and university.

I still have the hopes that this pandemic will be over by then.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One idea being tossed around for high school is to end rotary. Take one subject for 5 weeks, every day, all day. Next 5 weeks, next subject.....and so on....

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me, writing essays and dissertations was a horrible time. Only on the last university course, my friend said that sometimes he used services like this https://edubirdie.com/detector-de-plagio where he can double-check if he wrote a good essay with no plagiarism. Because I and he used to cheat a lot and just used copy/past for all our essays and dissertations. We are only students, u know. But, besides this I wish u to write a good dissertation about printers(so strange but okay)! Try to write it by yourself, however, if you don't have time (it's just an excuse) then read somebody's dissertation, copy some things and check if your dissertation is unique
everything should be changed
system of education has become outdated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh do tell, sunburned and naked JasonMcMilan from the United States with 2 posts, how our outdated Canadian education system should be changed?

Or, are you a BOT?

ltr
what if I tell you that I'm a bot?
as for me it's a wrong question

I mean that pupils should learn how to treat in society, what to do with bills, how to calculate their own budget and etc

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
what if I tell you that I'm a bot?
as for me it's a wrong question

I mean that pupils should learn how to treat in society, what to do with bills, how to calculate their own budget and etc
Given your inability to write a coherent sentence in English, I suggest you consider your own education first before attempting to comment on the subject of education for anyone else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts