Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have ZRE also. The other 3 I see the price dropping daily.
I guess I have no option now but to hang in for 12 to 18 months.
Thanks for eveybody's input here.

BTW I did contract a fee-advisor and I complete their application online.
I got a quick email back today saying, "looking forward to meeting with you in September."
So no go there.

·
Registered
986 Posts
CI First Asset Canadian REIT ETF - RIT is very good too. It is actively managed so the fee is higher .75% but returns seem a little better than the index.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank You Dubmac. I just hope they don't go down to zero as I have had a couple of stocks do that.
I am in my 70's and can't afford to lose my security. The Reits are in a RRIF so I believe each year I have to sell something for the mandatory withdrawal. I haven't done that yet as I had some cash still sitting in TD money market earning zilch 0.25%.

Thank You Jimmy for that information on that CI and RIT.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thank You Dubmac. I just hope they don't go down to zero as I have had a couple of stocks do that.
I am in my 70's and can't afford to lose my security. The Reits are in a RRIF so I believe each year I have to sell something for the mandatory withdrawal. I haven't done that yet as I had some cash still sitting in TD money market earning zilch 0.25%.

Thank You Jimmy for that information on that CI and RIT.
On BNN awhile back I recall an analyst saying REITs were really undervalued. I looked at H&R and it is trading at ~ 1/2 its book value - the value of the properties and assets. So if they did go under you would still make $. Lots of safety & you can't go too wrong. As mentioned avoid the ones maybe w lots of retail and commercial office space.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Book value or NAV? Book value would be the depreciated value would it not? I have never considered book value, but do consider NAV (market value of underlying properties). That said, be careful with NAVs of REITs too. They are based on periodic appraisals and REIT NAV doesn't always reflect reality. Of have a significant lag as new appraisals get done. Which is why REITs almost always trade at 80% of NAV or lower sometimes. And sometimes, it gets really silly, e.g. 50% of NAV.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Book value or NAV? Book value would be the depreciated value would it not? I have never considered book value, but do consider NAV (market value of underlying properties). That said, be careful with NAVs of REITs too. They are based on periodic appraisals and REIT NAV doesn't always reflect reality. Of have a significant lag as new appraisals get done. Which is why REITs almost always trade at 80% of NAV or lower sometimes. And sometimes, it gets really silly, e.g. 50% of NAV.
Accounting book value of the equity. I just looked at the P/BV on TMX Money for H& R

21 - 28 of 28 Posts