Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to double check the info on Canadian companies stock.

I am referring to financial ratios such as P/E, F/PE, D/E, ROE, Dividend Payout ratios, and other financial strength ratios.

Finding info on US companies is so much easier than finding info on Canadian companiies.

What sources do others on here use, and what would you site/source would anyone recommend?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Anthony

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
If you are having a really hard time finding info, try to google the companies name + investor relations. Look at the financial sheets then figure out the PE ROE etc yourself. You can also call the company too, they usually have a number. Ask them to email some reports.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the kind replies. Please keep them coming, as more heads and ideas are better than one.

HAROLDCRUMP:

I use Yahoo, and MSNmoney for a lot of my US stock, and ADR research.

I knew that there was a MSN site for canadian companies, and have used it before,,,,but I thank you very much for giving me that link.

MSN is great for the 10 year summary they provide on most financial ratios!
This can really give you a snapshot on how well management is performing.

As I've mentioned on this board before,,,,I prefer to invest in dividend paying companies with staedy and rising dividends, that also have a reasonable P/E ratio and low D/E. I also like to see solid ROE. On top of that I prefer a lower payout ratio.

I'm not much of a trader,,,,but prefer holding for the longer term.

Its getting harder to find such Graham-like deals these days.....

Any ideas out there as to what companies might fit these parameters, and would be a stocks to look into further, as long term investments?

Thanks again,

Anthony

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Dividend stocks are expensive right now b/c they are the "hot" thing right now during volatile times. I'm guessing that when the next super bull market gets under way, the dividend investing strategy will be thrown away by many thus leaving deals for investors who stick with it.

Having said that, I've had my eye on Intel (INTC) lately. Thoughts?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Intel doesn't look bad to me. The yield is only 3.3% (I'd like 4+) but I think Intel is going to go strong for a long time, mainly based on their products. They have the best chips out there, also I think they are working a long term strategy to bring security into the chips (McAfee purchase), or at least into SoC (system on a chips) and that has me scared. They are one of the few big companies that can provide security at todays top-end speeds. I work for one of the smaller companies that does security at 10 gigabit+ and we are afraid of Intel - and they are about the only company that can do what we do. And once they do it, it becomes more of a commodity and kills the market. Intel did this to another company I work for as well. Sorry, that goes a little off-topic. Just my way of thinking that Intel is shooting out in other directions that they can dominate.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I've been pretty close to buying INTC around this price. I like to buy stocks that I think are rip offs as a consumer. Intel and McAfee do very well even though there are much better deals out there like AMD and ESET

On topic I use Google and it's getting better all the time, it is fairly new

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Sorry to threadjack, I'm thinking that part of the reason why INTC is fairly low is due to their lack of smart phone presence. However, it's probably only a matter of time before INTC grabs more market share.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually bought INTEL just a little while ago....and a few days later they announced that McAfee purchase.

The market obviously didnt like the details.....and so INTC tanked a bit.
I must say that I agreed , and felt that Intel overpaid for McAfee.

The stock price has rebounded since, although I am still a bit underwater on it, but I bought INTEL as a long term hold.....I like the div, and the div growth, the value numbers, and felt it had good stability over the next few years.

As an investor sometimes you just have to hope that management knows what they are doing with these purchases and are thinking in the long term interest of the shareholders....and just just "empire building"...which almost always ends up poorly.

As for GOOGLE Finance, which has been mentioned by several posters..Do you find it informative for Canadian stocks?
And do you find the info, ratios etc on Goolgle to be correct?

Any Canadian stocks that you guys think fits the critera we are tlking about on this board?

thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
oops when they start talking about intc as a dividend play is when i think again that this whole dividend/bond spread is getting out of hand.

intc charts do indeed look bullish to me. But market seems to have doubts that intel can successfully expand beyond core pc chips into chips & software for handheld devices.

speaking of handheld anybody up for a nosebleed should take quick look at ARMH. Yikes. They say biggest US firms like intc, msft & goog are slavering to take over this UK hottie, which has the highest tech pe on the ftse.

re the main thread topic (btw i don't know why anybody would look on EDGAR for canadian stock info.) I for one am often surprised & disappointed by the dated quality of information found in standard data bases. This info migrates into stock screeners & other research tools with dismaying results. The sources are reputable - often thomson - but noticeably often some of the financial figs are obsolete or distorted. Typical & common examples: co can sell a subsidiary, take the gains into earnings, for next 52 weeks its p/e ratio is distorted. Or co can issue a special one-time-only dividend, for next 52 weeks its yield is distorted.

there's no protection against a distorted data base imho. Investor just. has. to. know. better.

which brings me to the last resort. What's wrong with reading a company's news & financial releases

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
another thought on intc. And continuing the threadjacking. Although i'm just following the moderator's lead :)

seriously FT why would we think that "it's probably only a matter of time before INTC grabs more market share."

one way to guesstimate is by looking at the option trading patterns. The jan 2013 options have recently begun to trade. The jan 10 call in intc is offered at only a few pennies above intrinsic value. This is most unusual. In fact i've never seen it before. The market is saying, in effect, that there's no gain possible in intel for the next 2 1/3 years.

specifically, stk closed today at 19.31. The jan 10 call of 2013 is 9.25-9.45. One could therefore buy an interest in gains in intc's share price for a mere 14 pennies over intrinsic value. Put another way, one could own intel for 19.31, or one could "own" intel for 9.45 down plus willingness to pay an additional 10.00 if necessary. In the meantime, this option will trade, dollar for dollar and penny for penny, in tandem with the stock, so there's really no reason to pop the extra 9.86 and pay the full 19.31 at the present time. Except.

except for the dividend. What the foregoing is suggesting to me is that market is pricing intc strictly for its dividend yield, and possibly for future growth in this dividend. Market is allowing precious close to zero for any future gains in share price. This is not very cheerful.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Humble, I don't know for sure, but they are desparate to get into the smart phone market which is their next growth market. They first dominated the PC market, lost market share to AMD, then gained it back. They are the major supplier for iMACs, and now they are developing their "moorestown" processor for the portable/smart phone market. I don't know if they can succeed, but they have a ton of cash and cash flow to keep pushing or simply buy someone who will help them achieve their goal.

On the other side, they could end up like the giant MSFT attempting to break into different markets (xbox, zune, smartphone, tablet) but not succeeding. Only time will tell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts