Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Prison is not a solution. This person clearly has issues and would need rehabilitation in every sense. Its the only chance she would have to function normal in society - that is, if she becomes rehabilitated. If that doesn't work, well then the only option is to put her in prison since she is a threat to society. The sad part about throwing people in jail is they will come out one day and become a nuisance to society. They can't get a normal job, may or may not have learned their lesson, and have a high probability to re-offend.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Prison is not a solution. This person clearly has issues and would need rehabilitation in every sense. Its the only chance she would have to function normal in society - that is, if she becomes rehabilitated. If that doesn't work, well then the only option is to put her in prison since she is a threat to society. The sad part about throwing people in jail is they will come out one day and become a nuisance to society. They can't get a normal job, may or may not have learned their lesson, and have a high probability to re-offend.
Problem with prison is trying to determine the purpose. Is it to rehabilitate, or is it to "punish"? Look how people get excited when they hear that prisoners undergo some learning/training, or aren't being punished enough. Obviously, the expectation is to rehabilitate, and ensure they end up re-integrating into society, but what do we do with people who can't? Imprison them forever? Or just appoint them as CEO of a top 100 company?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Now don't be so hard-nosed people. Leave us not forget, that alcoholism is a sickness; it's not her fault and in no way self-induced. She should not be held to account. She should be put on CPP disability forthwith.

Downright mean-spirited to talk of invoking the machinery of the criminal law to put a cramp (or crimp maybe?) in her behaviour. She needs kindness, compassion, understanding, warm and fuzzies.
I think you are on the right track here. After all she is a woman, and therefore a victim. No doubt there is one or more males who are responsible for her alcoholism and driving. She might be eligible for a free car and free driving lessons. I think there is a precedent for this: A Vancouver woman cut off the penis of her philandering husband in front of some or all of her many children. She got probation, custody of the children, and free English lessons. Obviously a just outcome and a guide on how to handle the drunk driving gal who killed the cyclist -- free car and free driving lessons.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
Problem with prison is trying to determine the purpose. Is it to rehabilitate, or is it to "punish"? Look how people get excited when they hear that prisoners undergo some learning/training, or aren't being punished enough. Obviously, the expectation is to rehabilitate, and ensure they end up re-integrating into society, but what do we do with people who can't? Imprison them forever? Or just appoint them as CEO of a top 100 company?
To rehabilitate and to protect the public. Punishment is ineffective--criminals don't think they are going to get caught.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts

You fail to support your claim that "Prison is not a solution".
If she was in prison, she would be unable to hurt people in this manner.
It solves the problem, therefore it IS a solution.

In fact you acknowledge that if she doesn't get rehabilitated, the "only option" is to put her in prison.
We already know that she isn't interested in changing her behavior. Even after killing someone, she's still doing it. She's clearly a danger to society, and our "justice" system seems completely unconcerned with protecting the public.

That's why sentencing her to prison, or death are the only remaining solutions.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You fail to support your claim that "Prison is not a solution".
If she was in prison, she would be unable to hurt people in this manner.
It solves the problem, therefore it IS a solution.

In fact you acknowledge that if she doesn't get rehabilitated, the "only option" is to put her in prison.
We already know that she isn't interested in changing her behavior. Even after killing someone, she's still doing it. She's clearly a danger to society, and our "justice" system seems completely unconcerned with protecting the public.

That's why sentencing her to prison, or death are the only remaining solutions.
That’s pretty harsh.
She’s a threat to society if she’s not rehabilitated. Keeping her imprisoned does not guarantee rehabilitation.
She reoffended because alcohol is affecting her ability to reason. You don’t think straight when you’re drunk.

so anyone who gets caught for drinking and driving should be given no chance and locked up forever? why not remove alcohol from society? Or better yet, get rid of cars?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
That’s pretty harsh.
She’s a threat to society if she’s not rehabilitated. Keeping her imprisoned does not guarantee rehabilitation.
She reoffended because alcohol is affecting her ability to reason. You don’t think straight when you’re drunk.

so anyone who gets caught for drinking and driving should be given no chance and locked up forever? why not remove alcohol from society? Or better yet, get rid of cars?
She's a threat because she doesn't care if she kills people

I think that after you kill someone, you should be locked up, until it is unlikely you are going to kill someone.
If you get out, and go back to the same behaviour that killed someone before, then yes, you should be locked up again.

You know what's harsh? When dangerous criminals, who get out of jail kill or hurt their second person.
Imagine it was your spouse, child, parent who is the next victim of this killer?
I want to know, would you be able to look your child in the eyes, and say "we know this woman kills people, and that once she got out of jail, she went out to kill people again, but Mommy is dead because it's "too harsh" to keep this woman where she can't hurt people"?

I'm okay with a conditional release as long as there is compliance with a substance abuse program and no further related offenses. She doesn't meet this criteria.

I have a question for you, if you show no signs of changing your behaviour, how many people should you be allowed to kill?
1, 2, 10, 20?

Seriously, I want an answer, how many more people does she need to kill? Because she's sure as hell on her way to her second.

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
Since I was a teenager I wanted to become a defense lawyer advocating for people. I would never have wanted to be a Crown Attorney or Judge.

Employment where you have to make the kind of decisions necessary in this case, would not have been a career I would have wanted.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but does not every vehicle have about $4000 worth of air bags installed. I recall reading that car alcohol lockouts are custom installed at about $2000. I would think it reasonable to think that if every vehicle had one factory installed, the cost would be perhaps $200. Why don't we make these mandatory safety gear? Sure does nothing for drug impairment, but why let the perfect be the enemy of the good?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but does not every vehicle have about $4000 worth of air bags installed. I recall reading that car alcohol lockouts are custom installed at about $2000. I would think it reasonable to think that if every vehicle had one factory installed, the cost would be perhaps $200. Why don't we make these mandatory safety gear? Sure does nothing for drug impairment, but why let the perfect be the enemy of the good?
Well they are easily defeated, unless they're monitored.

Some people have medical conditions that make it impossible for them to blow.

The fancy new features could cause your vehicle to be randomly disabled while driving (rolling retest), isn't that fun.

The reality is, drunk driving, like pretty much every other serious crime, is committed by a small number of repeat offenders.

Seize and destroy the car, throw her in jail and be done with it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts