• Others

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Not going to vote

Votes: 6 9.1%
141 - 160 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
That's not much of a limb, There is no way 80% of the country is concerned about finance and quality of life.
Yikes.
At least you're speaking honestly.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I don’t wear it if I don’t have to, the province has abolished the mask mandate but some places, like U of S still require it, but most don’t. I am tired of those masks and I am grateful to our prime minister for not enforcing it now when vaccines are widely available.
plus at the voting station there were literally four people all spaced, behind the plexiglass and spaced, not much risk. When go to Costco I also don’t requested to wear a mask (and I don’t), I surrounded by people much closer proximity, and 80% are not wearing masks.
Kudos to you.
No sarcasm involved, I am proud you are using your rights and freedoms to not use a mask.

Good for you. I mean that.
I wish I had that freedom in Ontario.

·
Registered
12,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
I don’t wear it if I don’t have to, the province has abolished the mask mandate but some places, like U of S still require it, but most don’t. I am tired of those masks and I am grateful to our prime minister for not enforcing it now when vaccines are widely available.
plus at the voting station there were literally four people all spaced, behind the plexiglass and spaced, not much risk. When go to Costco I also don’t requested to wear a mask (and I don’t), I surrounded by people much closer proximity, and 80% are not wearing masks.
I'd do the same!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I fail to see what the big deal is about wearing masks in public places. We do not care one way or the other. And we certainly do not equate wearing a mask to freedom or tyranny as some would suggest.

We are so used to it that we always wear them in public. It is nothing new for my spouse. For me, the biggest challenge was remembering to take it with me when I exit the car.

We have had endless marches in our city over this. I have yet to see a march over child poverty, seniors poverty, low income housing, spousal abuse, or any other of the social issues facing Canadians. I suspect that many of the marches are coordinated by people who have a far different agenda than masks or social justice for that matter.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
We live in Alberta.

Alberta's current number of active covid cases is 367 cases per 100.000 population. The Canadian average is105 cases per 100,000 pop. Ontario's current number is 42 cases per 100.000 population.

Speaks volumes to me about the differences in each Province's approach to covid.

On either side of us? Sask is sitting at 318 active cases per 100,000 pop. BC's number is 122 cases per 100,000 population.

Our Premier told us in July that covid was essentially over, testing would be stopped, restrictions lifted, and that this would be 'the best summer yet'.

·
Registered
788 Posts
march over child poverty, seniors poverty, low income housing, spousal abuse
Children are responsibility of their parents, senior poverty are responsibility of the same people at working age; low income get a different job; spousal abuse? You chose your spouse.
Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Alberta still tests more than twice as many people as BC. Turning down the testing frequency should shrink cases to a better number. A bit pointless I know but thats how we keep score in Canada.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sask is sitting at 318 active cases per 100,000 pop.
Nine of the 22 people who died from COVID-19 in Saskatchewan in August were fully vaccinated. Most of those who died despite their vaccinations were over the age of 60, as per the provincial government.

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
The numbers prove that removing restrictions during this 4th wave of Delta is a glaring mistake.

Schools that just opened last week are already closing. One school in our area had 208 students told they have contact with someone infected with covid.

That will now involve thousands of people........their parents, grand parents, and everyone else those kids had contact with.

There are reports from all over of school closings. It is a just a matter of time until gyms, restaurants and bars close again.

I maintain what I always maintained..........we need to get serious and remain in lock downs until the virus is beaten down.

We can screw around for awhile......but eventually lock downs will happen.

Unfortunately none of the political parties are willing to admit to the reality publicly. They all pretend we are returning to "normal".

At least the Liberals proved they support Canadians during the pandemic, while the Conservatives had Pierre Poilivere bitching and bellowing every day about the spending, and accusing Canadians of collecting CERB because they were lazy people who didn't want to go back to work.

Anyone with concerns which political party would support Canadians during a pandemic only need to look at the past 2 years for the answer.

While the Liberals were immediately shoveling money out the door......the Conservatives were hollering for committee meetings and debates.

Canadians know who...."had their backs."

·
Registered
329 Posts
I fail to see what the big deal is about wearing masks in public places. We do not care one way or the other. And we certainly do not equate wearing a mask to freedom or tyranny as some would suggest.
Your not deaf, live in a new area or have a deviate septum obviously.

Mask changes the interaction you have with other greatly, especially in unfamiliar locations. They create distance & mis-trust in others. People cross the road to avoid interaction. Its disgusting and anti-human. Most importantly they create a loneliness that will end with more deaths:
  • Loneliness was associated with higher rates of depression, anxiety, and suicide.
  • Loneliness among heart failure patients was associated with a nearly 4 times increased risk of death, 68% increased risk of hospitalization, and 57% increased risk of emergency department visits.1

I suspect a huge crest of early deaths in the coming years.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I am at the point where I see little difference between the two parties. Certainly some differences on platforms but I suspect very little difference when the rubber hits the road and one of them forma a Government.

Will my life change appreciably if either is elected? No. Do I expect significant change to the current status quo? Absolutely not. Minor tweaks but not matter what the election patter is or what the platforms are, either leader is going to run a Government that is within a few short degrees of centre. That is, if they expect to be re-elected. It either strays too far from the fulcrum their respective back room boys, financial backers, and the polling results will bring either back to the warm and fuzzies of the centre line. One is not bad, one is not good. They are both very mediocre.

What concerns me is that there is so much attention on the respective leaders and very little, almost none, on the quality of their respective teams, ie their potential Cabinet material. These are some of the people who have the ability to make a difference.

Both leaders will have the same challenge after 9 months or so in office. Managing the expectation gap of their MP's that now that they form Government and the expectation gap of their respective voters who somehow believed that black would become white overnight or vice versa. Disappointment when reality overtakes expectation.

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
As a senior, there is nothing in any of the parties policies that changes my life in any appreciable way.

Policies like childcare will effect our son, but he has little to no interest in politics.

He is too busy working and looking after his family to spend limited time on politics.

In a strange way, it is older people who have little to gain or lose who decide most elections, and younger generations who are most effected by the choice.

It wasn't young American adults who chose the politicians who would create a draft and send them to war in Vietnam.

It isn't young adults who choose politicians who decide that a $20 minimum wage is too much, or polluting the environment to accommodate industry is the best path forward.

It seems to happen a lot that old people get the gold mine and young people get the shaft.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Not having to see that lying twerp on tv anymore would be a big win for me...as refreshing as Biden replacing that Trump idiot.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Not having to see that lying twerp on tv anymore would be a big win for me...as refreshing as Biden replacing that Trump idiot.
The thing is todays PM designate could very easily become tomorrows lying twerp no matter what the party affiliation is.

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
Most politicians would probably fail lie detector tests.

But it also is the fault of the people for allowing them to make pledges, break them soon after being elected, and then stay in office.

Maybe what we need is a recall mechanism. It has gotten the atttention of the Governor of California and President Biden.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I am at the point where I see little difference between the two parties.
I don't think the parties are the same at all. I think people should be concerned that the Liberals have exhibited some hard Left tendencies that can be quite dangerous. They attempted and were almost successful in regulating freedom of speech online and they increased their control over the media and free press by offering nearly $600 million in subsidies for select media outlets that obtain the federal government’s approval from a handpicked panel stacked with Liberal allies.

The first situations that a dictator must ensure before taking over of a country is to control the free press and eliminate free speech. Sound familiar? Trudeau has expressing admiration for China's "basic dictatorship" in the past. The Liberals under Trudeau have moved way to the Left - an entirely different situation from the past, so if you think the parties are the same, I'd look again.

ltr

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Politicians and political parties can go from hero to zero in no time. Voters can be very fickle. Remember how unpopular Stephen Harper was at the end just before he got turfed out?

·
Registered
636 Posts
i am disturbed about Justin Trudeau’s actions in the SNC Lavalin affair and his subsequent lies. He will not be getting my vote. For the record, I lean Conservative but voted Liberal in 2015 due to disgust with Stephen Harper and the Duffy matter.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I don't think the parties are the same at all. I think people should be concerned that the Liberals have exhibited some hard Left tendencies that can be quite dangerous. They attempted and were almost successful in regulating freedom of speech online and they increased their control over the media and free press by offering nearly $600 million in subsidies for select media outlets that obtain the federal government’s approval from a handpicked panel stacked with Liberal allies.

The first situations that a dictator must ensure before taking over of a country is to control the free press and eliminate free speech. Sound familiar? Trudeau has expressing admiration for China's "basic dictatorship" in the past. The Liberals under Trudeau have moved way to the Left - an entirely different situation from the past, so if you think the parties are the same, I'd look again.

ltr
I agree that Trudeau represents the most fundamental shift in Canadian poltics in recent memory. A stupid idealist narcisissist. Keep him short of a majority for the sake of Canada. I had hopes his obvious shortcomings would cause him to surround himself with good people. Not the case at all! We had to get rid of Harper but jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

141 - 160 of 282 Posts