Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
WCN might rally a lot from here. It remained quite strong in 2018 even while the rest of the market sold off but had just a bit of weakness near the end of the year. I added more recently and think it still has good potential. It's also one of the top holdings of ZLB.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Attached is a list of CMF growth stock picks. Start date is Jan 30, 2019. Aproximately 10,000 of each stock to keep it equal. We can add more stocks as we go along, but not back date new additions.
dividends are reinvested.

Should also mention that the cost basis is 249,760

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
CNR has always been one of my favorite growth stocks but always too expensive. I managed to pick some up at $98 but that is still a trailing P/E of 18 and forward P/E of 16. More of a steady eddy growth, 10-15% every year, not likely to double rail output by printing more copies but still the cheapest way to haul anything across land.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
^

1. yes, small cap slant. This is meant to be a off the cuff, what's your favourate growth stock list without labouring over fundamentals and diversification. At a later date we may get into thinking it through more carefully.

2. so I got a notification to add MTY CP DOL CSU.
Also will add CNR. will do this tomorrow.

Remember this is an off the cuff list. Whatever pops into your mind as a growth stock to you. don't worry about valuation or timing. We may get around to worrying about that later. For now it is just for fun, and maybe education.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Attached is a list of CMF growth stock picks. Start date is Jan 30, 2019. Aproximately 10,000 of each stock to keep it equal. We can add more stocks as we go along, but not back date new additions.
dividends are reinvested.

Should also mention that the cost basis is 249,760

this looks to be interesting, thankx! looking forward to progress plus updates

a couple details: might it be possible to include an acb column for each holding, since you mention you are planning in some cases to buy more. Possibly even to sell some, now & then. Also i feel the graphic itself should show the total cost base, 249,760 at present

another detail: is it possible to prepare a simplified version of the graphic table (could omit currency column & some other columns for example), then enlarge this version & post it as a public picture for all to see, whether cmf members or not. It's a good list, could become a good teaching modality.

last Q: i'm not sure whether these were all Pluto's own personal picks or whether the individual stocks are some from Pluto & some from other cmffers popping OTTOTHGS? anyhow nice picks, nice job here.

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Perhaps weed stocks are speculative rather than 'classical' growth definition? Growth stocks typically have a multi-year trend chart.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
this looks to be interesting, thankx! looking forward to progress plus updates

a couple details: might it be possible to include an acb column for each holding, since you mention you are planning in some cases to buy more. Possibly even to sell some, now & then. Also i feel the graphic itself should show the total cost base, 249,760 at present

another detail: is it possible to prepare a simplified version of the graphic table (could omit currency column & some other columns for example), then enlarge this version & post it as a public picture for all to see, whether cmf members or not. It's a good list, could become a good teaching modality.

last Q: i'm not sure whether these were all Pluto's own personal picks or whether the individual stocks are some from Pluto & some from other cmffers popping OTTOTHGS? anyhow nice picks, nice job here.

The ACB is the "cost basis" column. I'm trying to figure a way to make the graphic higher resolution.
These were not all my picks. Mostly they are from posters to the thread.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Has no one mentioned Weed stocks yet?

I'd gamble on a small one... 1/10 chance of making it big :p
APHA is in the list. didn't get any other suggestions in this space.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think that pgn is better resolution, but you have to click on it to get larger version.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
If you are logged in and click you should get a larger readable image. Interesting that the Boyd Group Income fund is the top performer by a large margin so far.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
ok this update must cover a recent period only, is that why its variations up or down are relatively weak? overall performance is lacklustre which is characteristic of NA markets in general in recent weeks

if the time frame for the update is short, the recent ascent of Boyd into the top performance slot would be less meaningful, more of an accident imho

when it comes to frivolity in stock picking, the CMF OTC fundlist is not far from random walk theory, aka dartboard investing, no? i feel constrained to add that this approach might be disastrous in a serious downward market correction

Remember this is an off the cuff list. Whatever pops into your mind as a growth stock to you. don't worry about valuation or timing. We may get around to worrying about that later. For now it is just for fun, and maybe education.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
^
this "fund" commenced Jan 30, 2019. It has gained 7.07%
XIU gained 5.9% since Jan 30. Both are set to reinvest dividends.

Reportedly, Boyd is the top performing stock on the TSX over the last 10 years with a 50% annual rate of return.

By the way, if anyone has any new ideas they can be added, but something would have to be sold to accomodate the new.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Reportedly, Boyd is the top performing stock on the TSX over the last 10 years with a 50% annual rate of return.
flabbergasting :peach:

returns for the OTC stocks do suggest the short time period mentioned above, ie less than 6 months. I'm sticking to my knitting, market correction or worse & these OTC confections will crumble faster than the senior/more defensives

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
^
It could be that the off the cuff stocks will crumble. That's part of the purpose - just to see what will happen vs other stocks. My guess is that many will snap back from a correction. Too, I'm guessing that given enough time, the top performers will carry the day and will over come the losses of the worst performers. Top performers can couble, triple, whatever. But the worst that can happen with the non-performers is go to zero.

I'm not surprised that the pot stock, initially a rocket, went puff the magic dragon.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'm not surprised that the pot stock, initially a rocket, went puff the magic dragon.
....luv that line. nice. (I remember Puff, it's a 1970's thing).

I also read in the G&M ROB that water ETF's, like the following list, and CWW, have gained 20% or so since the start of 2019 - but I don't invest in them. more a spectator in this space because, like gold, I don't know how they work.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
....luv that line. nice. (I remember Puff, it's a 1970's thing).

I also read in the G&M ROB that water ETF's, like the following list, and CWW, have gained 20% or so since the start of 2019 - but I don't invest in them. more a spectator in this space because, like gold, I don't know how they work.
the water etf is good to know about. Is there a cdn water stock in there that could be included in the cdn growth portfolio?

41 - 60 of 76 Posts