Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To define the question further, I'm not talking about the latest "hot" small cap that may be flash in the pan. Rather, ones that have been around for a long time, and for you, kept on giving, and giving interms of capital growth, and which may or may not pay a dividend.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I've been riding Premium Brands since they were $17...haven't sold any yet. At a CAGR at 35% I think its a pretty good "growth" stock even though I only own it as it meets my criteria for dividend growth.

·
Registered
18,316 Posts
Some that I hold:

CGI Group (GIB.A) with 15 year CAGR=17.23%
Descartes (DSG) with 15 year CAGR=16.50%
Boyd Group (BYD.UN) with 15 year CAGR=19.61%
Waste Connections (WCN), can't find the stats but a very strong performer

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I would say the growth stocks (with small dividends) over the last decade, that have surprised me the most, and I own them both have been:

Canadian National Railway (CNR) with 10 year CAGR = 18.23%
Canadian Tire Corp (CTC.A) with 10 year CAGR = 13.12%

ltr

·
Registered
426 Posts
Doesn't the worst big 5 bank have a 30 or 40 year CAGR of 12%.

OSB did $5 to $37 in 9 years, and a few months ago would have been $5 to $50.
MX did $8 to $84 in 9 years.

What is nice about OSB and MX is the volatility. You can often buy them at value stock prices as opposed to others that are always priced for perfection.

·
Registered
18,316 Posts
I'm interested in these kinds of stocks and they're the basis of my Lowdiv portfolio. Someone interested in the space may want to peek at the holdings of the Beutel Goodman Small Cap fund.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
How many portfolios do you have? I only look at everything holistically, i.e. it is one portfolio regardless of number of accounts.
Yes, it does confuse me too.

My guess is that James has multiple "spreadsheet portfolios" that do include a lot of his own actual portfolio stocks, but not necessarily in quantity or even actual participation.

James never seems to talk about his actual portfolio and its overall strategy.

ltr

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Are you looking at total return? Your comment about with or without dividends seems to imply you are not?

Total return is all that matters.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Another very good source are the funds listed in the MAWER New canada Fund - run by Jeff Mo.
MTY Food Group Inc. 5.8
Enghouse Systems Limited 5.1
Boyd Group Income Fund 4.9
Altus Group Limited 4.5
Stella-Jones Inc. 4.5
NFI Group Inc. 4.4
EnerCare Inc. 4.3
Morneau Shepell Inc. 3.9
Winpak Ltd. 3.6
Solium Capital Inc. 3.5
Parkland Fuel Corporation 3.4
Stantec Inc 3.3
Richelieu Hardware Ltd 3.3

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Methanex has been one of my better holdings. Low div (2% yield), so mostly growth. I bought 1000 shares back in 2003. Took profit when it first doubled, so present holdings cost me nothing really. Here is a chart since inception:

Hit over $100 a month or so ago, but dropped back recently. Methanol is a commodity, but Methanex have market cornered, it seems.

·
Registered
18,316 Posts
How many portfolios do you have? I only look at everything holistically, i.e. it is one portfolio regardless of number of accounts.
Yes, it does confuse me too.

My guess is that James has multiple "spreadsheet portfolios" that do include a lot of his own actual portfolio stocks, but not necessarily in quantity or even actual participation.

James never seems to talk about his actual portfolio and its overall strategy.
And here I was thinking that I never shut up about them. Here are the threads:

My fixed income portfolio
My Canadian 5-pack
My Canadian Lowdiv portfolio
Permanent portfolio asset allocation

At the top level my investments are structured as the following (plan) which started as the permanent portfolio but has been modified to be:
20% gold
30% stocks
50% fixed income

The fixed income is invested in XBB plus the fixed income portfolio linked above. The gold is invested in a bullion ETFs plus a bit of physical.

My stocks are split between US and Canada. The US side is invested in S&P 500 index funds and BRK.B -- and that's it.

The Canadian side is mostly invested in the 5-pack portfolio linked above, plus a smaller amount in the Lowdiv portfolio linked above.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
The Canadian side is mostly invested in the 5-pack portfolio linked above, plus a smaller amount in the Lowdiv portfolio linked above.
To manage two distinctly different portfolio strategies winthin an overall portfolio strategy must be a nightmare without using a lot of virtual shares to make your spreadsheets work.

Why not develop a single strategy and concentrate efforts there?

ltr

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
James, this is going off-topic, but I don't get the various equity portfolios, or how they can even be managed.

I have one portfolio that: 1) stock picks Canadian blue chip equity, 2) indexes ex-Canada equity, 3) 5 year GIC/bond ladder for FI, 4) prefs in taxable account, 5) HISA reserve. I don't consider each of those portfolios in themselves.

Added: I don't own momentum stocks but have those like CTCa and CNR that are low dividend....and may be considered growth I suppose.

·
Registered
18,316 Posts
James, this is going off-topic, but I don't get the various equity portfolios, or how they can even be managed.

I have one portfolio that: 1) stock picks Canadian blue chip equity, 2) indexes ex-Canada equity, 3) 5 year GIC/bond ladder for FI, 4) prefs in taxable account, 5) HISA reserve. I don't consider each of those portfolios in themselves.
It doesn't sound like mine is too different, other than what I'm calling a "portfolio". As far as I can tell the only difference versus what you described above is that I have one additional Canadian strategy. You have a single batch of Canadian stock picks, and I have two batches of Canadian stock picks (with distinct strategies).

I separated them so that I can track them and evaluate them over time. It doesn't seem like a lot of work to me. In fact I don't think it would be a good idea to combine them into one because there are separate methodologies for the two methods. This is not about which account the stocks are in, but how I pick and manage them.

My 5-pack portfolio is quite passive and very close to XIU. My Lowdiv portfolio is much more active, risky, and uses a totally different methodology.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Fair enough. I can't logically follow 2 strategies, which could in theory contradict each other, but I won't derail the thread any longer.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
someone better call in the LTA Police, i believe i might be getting back on topic, oh the horror

going forward i don't have any fave canadian growth stocks for the future, i see mostly risky ridges ahead

looking back, onex & td have been my bestest, along with merck in the RRSP but this latter was boosted by the huge gain in USD. Commenced buying onex & the big green in the low to mid 30s. I still buy a few now & then in non-reg'd but such buying is strictly for tax purposes, the idea is to raise cost base. If i were a new investor i would not go for any of these 3 at the present time.

if i were new investor w long life ahead, i'd be holding licked thumb up in the air to see if i could catch the faintest breeze of extremely early new-cycle buying in the resource sector. Speaking of ultra-faint early breezes combined with a mention of ONEX, this company is partnering with blackRock & the CPPIB to buy the remnants of US aluminum giant alcoa.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I separated them so that I can track them and evaluate them over time. It doesn't seem like a lot of work to me. In fact I don't think it would be a good idea to combine them into one because there are separate methodologies for the two methods.

ok they are lab guinea pigs being measured in their separate cages with a distinct protocol for each cage; but does this mean each cage is an entire laboratory though

·
Registered
18,316 Posts
ok they are lab guinea pigs being measured in their separate cages with a distinct protocol for each cage; but does this mean each cage is an entire laboratory though
Right, they are guinea pigs (the 5-pack is pretty routine XIU sampling but the other one is way out there). The separate "cages" for tracking and evaluation happens in a spreadsheet. The actual stocks can happily live inside the same portfolio... the guinea pigs won't bite each other. Currently I have the guinea pigs in separate cages within the same lab (TDDI).

1 - 20 of 111 Posts