Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got earwigs everywhere around the city. Is that the same anywhere else ? Creepy little buggers.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Sure don't miss those! That's the one bug that I'll squish with excessive force and prejudice.

Never seen an earwig in Alberta in 9 years here... No rats, raccoons or ragweed allergies either!

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
“Outdoors earwigs can cause damage to plants and it is particularly annoying when they feed on the flowers. Management of earwigs is not easy and there is probably no way to completely eliminate them from your yard. Consider trapping and physically destroying earwigs. “ / I like this advice lol

Article us telling gagging you can get rid of them using vinegar... never tried as we don’t have them ... yet 😁

Or maybe my cats are eating them 🤣

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
We got earwigs everywhere around the city. Is that the same anywhere else ? Creepy little buggers.
... not in TO although we do have other creepy bigger buggers (humans and bed-bugs). Their presence is most likely caused by the wet weather plus stuffs for them to feed off, even though this article says an infestation is unlikely. Here're some prevention methods from same article (expert exterminator):

Earwig Control Facts: How to Get Rid of Earwigs
Prevention Tips
The most important part of controlling earwigs is eliminating their hiding places. If the earwig harborages are not addressed, insecticide application will probably not control earwigs very well. There are a variety of things that can be done.
Landscaping

• Clean Up - Move landscape timbers, logs, decorative stones, and firewood piles away from the foundation.
  • Eliminate Moist Soil - Create a zone next to the foundation that is free of mulch, dead leaves, and other organic material. The “dry zone” should be 6” to 12” wide so that earwigs will avoid it.
  • Trim Overhanging Branches - Trim trees and shrubs that cause damp, shady areas near the house.
Around the Home
  • Proper Drainage is Key - Examine gutters and downspouts to make sure they drain away from the foundation. Set irrigation systems so that they water in the morning and allow the landscape to dry during the day.
  • Switch Up Exterior Lighting - Adjust outdoor lights to shine from the yard onto the house – insects will be attracted away from the house. If moving outside light fixtures is not practical, consider changing light bulbs to yellow bulbs since white lights are more attractive to insects.
  • Secure Possible Entry Points - Repair screens on crawl space vents and make sure the vents are not blocked.
  • Dry Out Moisture-Prone Areas - A dehumidifier might help in a damp basement.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Not many in the Okanagan, at least not around where we live. Perhaps the sprays used by farmers keep their numbers down.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Might have something to do with the wet weather we are experiencing as they seem to love dark damp places. Also I notice when there are less spiders, the earwig population seems to grow.
In SE Mississauga we are seeing an influx of Red Fire Bugs:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Yesterday was sitting on a patio eating an ice cream, when I got up, earwig on my neck!! Hate them. So gross.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Around here I also noticed a lot more fireflies at night. The park behind us was lit up some nights. I think it has slowed down some now.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
^ I have never seen one ... even in my own backyard. Maybe I need to go a park but then there's the creepiness after dark.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
are we talking about the European earwig? quite common here (Nl). some years worse than others.
appear to be more active towards Fall, when they are trying to get "inside". if you want to check for them, go pry a few boards off your deck or fence on s coolish, damp night.
a drop of liquid dish suds will do the job on them!

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
Oh no, there is nature in the environment, someone do something.
I know, lets kill off as much nature as we can. It's like the people complaining about bees, killing them off, then wondering why there is a shortage of bees.

earwigs clean up decaying waste products, they are not a problem.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Tow the earwigs out past the environment and park them beside climate change.

Outside of the environment is a vast space and there isn't much stored out there apparently.

The only thing I heard that was towed out was that oil tanker that had the front fall off.

They towed it out so it didn't continue to leak oil in the environment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts