61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
People and doctors who treat patients or have been infected themselves, say this flu is nothing like they have ever suffered or seen before.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
For anyone that has hung out in ICU,any day can be video'd as a horror show. I was unfortunate enough to sleep on a chair beside my wife for a few weeks in ICU....I won't forget the memory soon and video's of people suffering in ICU have no place here or anywhere....pandemic or not.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
Numbers will be far more if the hospitals are overwhelmed like in Italy.

Video I was going to post from inside an Italian hospital has been removed.
I think this is what the 'what me worry' crowd is missing. It's great that the cruise ship had lower mortality than might be expected given the stats. That was with outside support from a medical system that was not overwhelmed. Wonder what the fatality rate would look like if we had to start pulling ventilators from the people on the ship due to lack of equipment/staff.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
For anyone that has hung out in ICU,any day can be video'd as a horror show. I was unfortunate enough to sleep on a chair beside my wife for a few weeks in ICU....I won't forget the memory soon and video's of people suffering in ICU have no place here or anywhere....pandemic or not.
Female healthcare worker explained in tears the elderly are dying alone. You don't get to sit in a chair beside your wife/parents/grandparents. There is no space for that. There were beds lining the halls outside the ICU.

People breathing in bubbles side by side. They shift the beds around so they have space roll them over to relieve pressure points.

Then they showed the overwhelmed morque. The military comes in at night to take away the bodies and find a place to bury them because the cemeteries are overwhelmed. Funerals are banned now.

The health care workers only go home to sleep and they are recalling healthcare workers from retirement. Several who came out of retirement got infected and died.

Yea just another day in the ICU. We have less than a dozen in local ICU and they are already calling for PPE donations. Meanwhile locals go to Starbucks for their essential services.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
video should not have been banned

there was a photograph on twitter of the military convoy lined up in front of the morgue in Bergamo, northern Italy, to receive the coffins to take away for burial someplace else since the local cemetery was overwhelmed.

there were at least 30 trucks in that convey, waiting for the coffins.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Italy averaged 1765 deaths/day before the virus and amazingly no one felt the need to post. morbid videos of coffins & trucks.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The thing is a significant portion of those who get sick, need hospitalization, and there is a serious risk of hospital overload.
The cruise ship was pretty much a best case scenario, everyone was under observation and had access to hospital, yet there were still deaths.

When care isn't available, those numbers will skyrocket.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
... Wonder what the fatality rate would look like if we had to start pulling ventilators from the people on the ship due to lack of equipment/staff.
Did they put any ventilators onto cruise ships?

I thought that those testing positive were removed. It would be more like what was happening in the hospital.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Everyone is over reacting until the hospital is overwhelmed and then everyone is blamed for not preparing soon enough.

Average numbers don't tell the story when outbreaks have an epicenter. If an ICU is overwhelmed by a virus people will likely die for reasons not attributed to virus numbers

Some nearby islands are seeing increase of wealthy elderly looking for safe havens. Now they have community spread and EMT is pissed of the unnecessarily difficult strain this is about to cause

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
everyone should stop for a moment to pay homage to Italy

the degree of suffering italy has had to bear for many years now - through no fault of its own - has been extreme.

first the refugees. For many years italy took in the lion's share of refugees, mostly arriving by sea from north africa. This stepped up by several magnitudes after ISIL escalated the war in the middle east in 2015.

in 2015, italian convents, congregations, entire villages & national gummint pitched in to take care of the neverending boatloads of refugees, most in precarious condition.

repeatedly italy asked other countries in the european union to physically accept their share of the refugee crowds that were overwhelming italy; yet no country responded.

today, italy has asked other countries for ventilators; but no country except china has responded. I did read somewhere that china has sent italy 200 ventilators.

undaunted, italy has assigned soldiers to work on the assembly lines at Shiare, italy's principal manufacturer of medical ventilators.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-italy-calls-in-military-to-help-ramp-up-production-of-ventilators-as/

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Italy averaged 1765 deaths/day before the virus and amazingly no one felt the need to post. morbid videos of coffins & trucks.
They had 793 deaths yesterday and the trend is still going up. If we assume they still have their normal 1765 deaths, then that means 31% of their daily deaths yesterday were from coronavirus. Or, put another way, a 45% increase in the death rate. And it's still increasing. I think that is noteworthy.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Most are in the north so if you broke it down to just the north the increase in death rate is well above 100%

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I have been watching the US press conferences and Senate debates on CSPAN. Americans have got to get it together.

It is a clown show down there.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
It is a clown show down there.
US army started converting hotels into negative pressure ICUs in NYC

People are loading up on guns and running for the hills. Small communities are getting increasingly pissed with the influx because they don't have the medical infrastructure or supplies

Small counties around me are now ordering "shelter-in-place" instead of waiting for the state or fed

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
everyone should stop for a moment to pay homage to Italy

the degree of suffering italy has had to bear for many years now - through no fault of its own - has been extreme.

first the refugees. For many years italy took in the lion's share of refugees, mostly arriving by sea from north africa. This stepped up by several magnitudes after ISIL escalated the war in the middle east in 2015.

in 2015, italian convents, congregations, entire villages & national gummint pitched in to take care of the neverending boatloads of refugees, most in precarious condition.

repeatedly italy asked other countries in the european union to physically accept their share of the refugee crowds that were overwhelming italy; yet no country responded.

today, italy has asked other countries for ventilators; but no country except china has responded. I did read somewhere that china has sent italy 200 ventilators.

undaunted, italy has assigned soldiers to work on the assembly lines at Shiare, italy's principal manufacturer of medical ventilators.

Italy calls in military to help ramp up production of ventilators as coronavirus cases continue to surge
Taking in hundreds of thousands/millions of unvetted migrants has ramifications as we're now seeing in Italy. Combine that with crowding, an aging population of heavy smokers, and often 3 generations living together and it's a recipe for disaster.

Hopefully lessons will be learned. Unfortunately, Trudeau still has no intention to stop the illegal border jumpers at Roxham.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Trump was complaining that Canada is refusing entry to migrants and returning them to the US. He talked about problems at both Northern and Southern borders.

Given what is going on in the US, and that Trump may re-open everything for business, maybe we should start building a wall. He can call it the Canada Wall.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts