Canadian Money Forum banner
121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,279 Posts
Because they are doing it wrong. Simple as that.
Yup, many do it wrong.

Whatever diet people are on a large number don't eat properly. I would think vegans/vegetarians probably monitor their diets better than those that eat anything. Just check the climbing obesity rates, bet it'll be hard to find any actual vegans or vegetarians on that list.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Yup, many do it wrong.

Whatever diet people are on a large number don't eat properly. I would think vegans/vegetarians probably monitor their diets better than those that eat anything. Just check the climbing obesity rates, bet it'll be hard to find any actual vegans or vegetarians on that list.
It all depends not on the fact you're vegan or not, but on how much you eat and what you eat! It also depends on your exercise.

Just check the obesity rates by country (I believe numbers more than propaganda )

The biggest number of vegans is in UK . United Kingdom. Helped by Veganuary and expansive media coverage, veganism popularity has exploded in the UK. It's now the third year in a row (it shared first place with Australia in 2018) that the UK ranks as the most popular country for veganism in the world.
However, in obesity rate UK ranking is number 36 (if you remove Pacific islands with couple of thousands people, UK will be in top 10 or 15).
2nd top country for "vegans" is ... Israel (I'm embarrassed now :) Israel has the highest percentage of vegans globally
Israel obesity rate ranking is number 45

Not, let's see the
Worst Countries for Vegans
  • Japan. one of the worst countries for vegans. ... ranked 185
  • Italy. ... ranked 107
  • Philippines. ranked 168!
So, you are completely wrong with obesity rates!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
It all depends not on the fact you're vegan or not, but on how much you eat and what you eat! It also depends on your exercise.

Just check the obesity rates by country (I believe numbers more than propaganda )

The biggest number of vegans is in UK . United Kingdom. Helped by Veganuary and expansive media coverage, veganism popularity has exploded in the UK. It's now the third year in a row (it shared first place with Australia in 2018) that the UK ranks as the most popular country for veganism in the world.
However, in obesity rate UK ranking is number 36 (if you remove Pacific islands with couple of thousands people, UK will be in top 10 or 15).
2nd top country for "vegans" is ... Israel (I'm embarrassed now :) Israel has the highest percentage of vegans globally
Israel obesity rate ranking is number 45

Not, let's see the
Worst Countries for Vegans
  • Japan. one of the worst countries for vegans. ... ranked 185
  • Italy. ... ranked 107
  • Philippines. ranked 168!
So, you are completely wrong with obesity rates!
You try to draw your own non-scientific conclusions from what you believe to be a correlation but your methodology is meaningless.

Look at some studies taken on the PubMed Central | National Center for Biotechnology Information | U.S. National Library of Medicine | National Institutes of Health

Reactions: indexxx

·
Registered
11,560 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Other than the benefits for health, environment and animal well-being, eating less animal (or no animal) would reduce the risk of epidemics like the one we're currently living.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Other than the benefits for health, environment and animal well-being, eating less animal (or no animal) would reduce the risk of epidemics like the one we're currently living.
Yes, we'd avoid diseases like Swine Flu, Mad Cow etc. but now with lab grown meat, we should be able to safely (and soon cheaply) produce enough meat for people.

·
Registered
262 Posts
How am i wrong? I said "Just check the climbing obesity rates, bet it'll be hard to find any actual vegans or vegetarians on that list."

Did you poll the obese to see how many were vegan/vegetarian?
No need to reply, I'll just answer that for you ... No. :)

I know more fat vegans and vegetarians than fat carnivores. Research has shown that one ought to eat:

single whole ingredient items (meat, eggs, fish) and if you must single ingredient - plants.

but not multiple ingredient items : fake meat, process wheat, noodles, sugar, etc

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I know more fat vegans and vegetarians than fat carnivores. Research has shown that one ought to eat:

single whole ingredient items (meat, eggs, fish) and if you must single ingredient - plants.

but not multiple ingredient items : fake meat, process wheat, noodles, sugar, etc
What do you mean, "if you must single ingredient - plants"? Are you implying that plants are optional?

·
Super Moderator
4,279 Posts
I know more fat vegans and vegetarians than fat carnivores.
Sure, could be the case for you. I only know a few skinny vegetarains and I don't know any pure carnivores. But yes, pretty much any diet type can lead to them being overweight because they don't control their food choices or intake levels.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Why some people are saying such dramatic things like "it nearly killed me" while lots of other people are living the best of their lives on a vegan diet?

Because they are doing it wrong. Simple as that.
So, it’s extremely dangerous that vegan can die “because they doing it wrong”!
And celebrities like Angelina Jolie, Cirus and others most likely had private dietician

·
Registered
405 Posts
So, it’s extremely dangerous that vegan can die “because they doing it wrong”!
And celebrities like Angelina Jolie, Cirus and others most likely had private dietician
Diet and lifestyle are the number one causes of chronic disease (heart disease, cancer, diabetes etc) and death. IE- standard western diet largely based around animal products and more recently processed foods, is the number one killer. But your trying to say a vegan diet is dangerous?

Healthcare and big Pharma are the number 3 killer BTW, in America.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What do you mean, "if you must single ingredient - plants"? Are you implying that plants are optional?
I am. There are essential fats, essential proteins, there are no essential carbohydrates. You can leave them (carbs) out or let them be a flavoring for your meat and fat. They are not required for healthy living. They may however, cause other sorts of problems but mainly unconscious over eating in search for nutritionally dense food or satiety (fat). The Japanese diet for 'sumo' wrestlers for example, it a diet very high in carbohydrates (approx 80%) and very low in fat (approx 7%). The fact that above 50% of the north american population has pre-diabetes should be a wake up call for all.

You might be the luck one who can consume lots of carbohydrates over your life time, but don't bet on it. You insulin response might just be getting tired :cool:

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I am. There are essential fats, essential proteins, there are no essential carbohydrates. You can leave them (carbs) out or let them be a flavoring for your meat and fat. They are not required for healthy living. They may however, cause other sorts of problems but mainly unconscious over eating in search for nutritionally dense food or satiety (fat). The Japanese diet for 'sumo' wrestlers for example, it a diet very high in carbohydrates (approx 80%) and very low in fat (approx 7%). The fact that above 50% of the north american population has pre-diabetes should be a wake up call for all.

You might be the luck one who can consume lots of carbohydrates over your life time, but don't bet on it. You insulin response might just be getting tired :cool:
Do you think fibre is not essential? I don't.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Do you think fibre is not essential? I don't.
And vitamins, flavanoids, phytonutrients, and other antioxidants plus that fact that plants are what feeds our healthy gut microbiome- one of the most important new areas of health research affecting everything from mental health to heart disease. Plants are 100% ESSENTIAL for long-term health. Animal products are not. Damage from "carbs" are from processed, refined carbs like bread, pasta, sugar, etc, not from whole plant foods.

·
Registered
262 Posts
And vitamins, flavanoids, phytonutrients, and other antioxidants plus that fact that plants are what feeds our healthy gut microbiome- one of the most important new areas of health research affecting everything from mental health to heart disease. Plants are 100% ESSENTIAL for long-term health. Animal products are not. Damage from "carbs" are from processed, refined carbs like bread, pasta, sugar, etc, not from whole plant foods.
While I have nothing against plant food. They are not 100% essential for long-term health.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Meat is a rich source of several essential nutrients such as protein, vitamin B12 and iron, while dairy products are a rich source of protein and calcium. Vegans, who exclude all meat and dairy products from their diet, need to obtain these nutrients from other sources.
Seafood includes vital nutrients needed for health and wellness at all ages, including omega-3s, iron, B and D vitamins, and protein. Fish and shellfish supply the nutrients, vitamins and omega 3s essential for strong bones, brain development, and healthy heart and immune system.

Cheese is a great source of calcium, fat, and protein. It also contains high amounts of vitamins A and B-12, along with zinc, phosphorus, and riboflavin. Cheese made from the milk of 100 percent grass-fed animals is the highest in nutrients and also contains omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin K-2.

Eggs are one of the few foods considered to be a complete high-quality protein source, because they contain all 9 essential amino acids. 'Essential' means that the body cannot produce these amino acids on its own, which is why we need to include them in our diet.
Protein: Essential for building and repairing m...
Selenium: Works with vitamin E to act as an an...
Vitamin A: Helps maintain healthy skin and eye ...
Vitamin E: An antioxidant that plays a role in m...

Oat milk is not suitable for people with gluten intolerance or with celiac disease. Unflavored oat milk has the highest amount of calories and carbohydrates of plant-based milk varieties. Although the sugar is natural, oat milk is very high in carbohydrates.

·
Super Moderator
4,279 Posts
There are essential fats, essential proteins, there are no essential carbohydrates. You can leave them (carbs) out or let them be a flavoring for your meat and fat. They are not required for healthy living.:cool:
Carbs are an energy source, so with out them your body will try to harvest fat and protein to compensate which can lead to serious problems. The issue with many peoples diets today is they over eat carbs. I would put eating carbs as required for healthy living.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Meat is a rich source of several essential nutrients such as protein, vitamin B12 and iron, while dairy products are a rich source of protein and calcium. Vegans, who exclude all meat and dairy products from their diet, need to obtain these nutrients from other sources.
Seafood includes vital nutrients needed for health and wellness at all ages, including omega-3s, iron, B and D vitamins, and protein. Fish and shellfish supply the nutrients, vitamins and omega 3s essential for strong bones, brain development, and healthy heart and immune system.

Cheese is a great source of calcium, fat, and protein. It also contains high amounts of vitamins A and B-12, along with zinc, phosphorus, and riboflavin. Cheese made from the milk of 100 percent grass-fed animals is the highest in nutrients and also contains omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin K-2.

Eggs are one of the few foods considered to be a complete high-quality protein source, because they contain all 9 essential amino acids. 'Essential' means that the body cannot produce these amino acids on its own, which is why we need to include them in our diet.
Protein: Essential for building and repairing m...
Selenium: Works with vitamin E to act as an an...
Vitamin A: Helps maintain healthy skin and eye ...
Vitamin E: An antioxidant that plays a role in m...

Oat milk is not suitable for people with gluten intolerance or with celiac disease. Unflavored oat milk has the highest amount of calories and carbohydrates of plant-based milk varieties. Although the sugar is natural, oat milk is very high in carbohydrates.
Good, but nothing impressing in listing the benefits of those foods as I can do the same with vegan foods. Do you want me to list all the vegan highly nutritious foods along with their nutritive facts and benefits? What's the point?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Plant Based diet showed 73% percent less likely to get moderate to severe covid-19. Keto diet showed 48% more likely to get moderate to severe covid-19. I guess those claiming to be superior to those now labelled "anti-vaxxers" better get on a plant based diet, or step off their high horse.

Our chosen diets are likely going to have greater effect than vaccines vs delta variant.

Now to be fair, this wasn't a perfect study, but many studies throughout the years show similar effects of plant based diets providing good immunity.

121 - 140 of 163 Posts